Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Close Season no more?

Whilst no close season seems to make a difference in still waters. The only thing I wonder about
    is possible damage done to fish following Spawning, when in this area they spawn in shallow
    water, then after clean off in the faster water. The fish are stacked one on another and in huge
    numbers in places. Hungry and very easy to catch.Do they need some restrictions on catching
    in those areas,then be held in a net for hours on end. Fine in deep water no restriction are needed but when it's too easy. ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floatfish View Post
    .Do they need some restrictions on catching
    in those areas
    Yes and its down to the club or riparian owner to ensure these areas are made out of bounds and policed regularly. all syndicates I have belonged to have closed during and after spawning.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floatfish View Post
    Do they need some restrictions on catching in those areas,then be held in a net for hours on end.
    A little baffling, but is the water there really deep enough for a keep net anyway? There are two ways around this, one is to ban match angling and keep nets at a time when fish are known to spawn in an area. The second is simply to ban keep nets at that same time, which in turn satisfies the first solution also. You can't have a match without keep nets.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
    heres the history of when and why the closed season was first introduced
    And the problem with that page, Keith, is that John Essex is far more knowledgeable on this subject than he has shown in the article. He gave a talk for us many, many years ago and as part of it covered some aspects of match fishing in the day, the fact that they never used keep nets, all fish caught were killed and removed. Those that could be fed to the family were, chub were reserved for the mother-in-law of course, and the remainder were probably fed to the chickens in the yard.
    One fact came from this, if you kill a roach that is hydrating her eggs, you not only kill her, but the 10,000-15,000 eggs she is carrying. That was the "... wanton waste of our riverine species..." that Philip Geen referred to in a speech he made. So the close season was not only to surround the spawning period, but more to stop the slaughter of gravid females in the run up to spawning.
    Since keep nets are now used (and rarely unless it's a river match, even rarer) no freshwater fish are now killed for any reason (OK, EEs, but them aside) whatsoever.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Whilst I don't think abolishing the close season will make a massive difference to most rivers there's a good case for banning keepnets from 1st March to the end of June or even July on all natural waters. Anyone who thinks rivers will fish well mid spring in matches is deluded; June matches have always been patchy at best.

Is it time to get rid of the closed season on rivers…

I posted elsewhere on this subject and talked about the 3 P's... poaching, predation and pollution.
    These are things that anglers can have some small influence on and it might make a difference if more anglers were present on the banks in the closed season as it does for the rest of the year.
    Poaching may be happening on rivers but with less anglers about to deter anyone taking a big barbel or roach that are full of eggs then the effect will become a snowball and the river wont be replacing fish. Nets and set lines have been found on many rivers but these may just be the tip of the iceberg. Many poachers come and fish without a licence too. Some may just fish for sport but many others have also been found with bags full of fish they have caught and will take them away for food.
    Its a very similar situation with predators. Birds are taking smaller fish before they can become mature enough to spawn, and otters are now taking the mature fish so there are then less to try and repopulate the rivers.
    Anglers are often the first to notice pollution and although it may not help in that instance, a quick response may help identify the source and then prosecute the polluters and then prevent future incidents.

The EA and their subcontractors are hell bent on stripping any bankside cover that might act as sanctuary and some protection for fish to escape predation and all done in the name of flood prevention but their actions only exacerbate the effects of flooding.
    There is also a question of water quality and the causes are many…
    run off from farm land due to destruction of soil quality due to intensive farming practices and tree clearing allows too much soil to was into the rivers and then the gravel beds become silted stopping fish eggs being able to hatch properly.
    Pollution from untreated sewage, endocrine disrupting chemicals from female contraceptive pills and microplastics getting into the water supply then have long term health effects on fish and their ability to spawn effectively.

In a mild winter and warmer spring the pike and perch and probably dace will have spawned by the middle of march, but in a cold spring and early summer the barbel may not spawn until mid june or even early july, so the dates dont cover all the fish spawning times which ever way you might suggest moving them.

Rivers are open all year round on the continent and Ireland with no ill effects, many of our rivers are still fished all year round with salmon and trout anglers catching barbel, chub and other coarse fish with no problems.
    The lakes and canals have been opened for years with no ill effect so there is a mountain of evidence that suggests that the time is up for the old fashioned closed season.

If you list the pros and cons the answer to me is obvious:
    PROS to retaining
    Protection for spawning fish
    Allow nature to 'recover'
    Conduct work parties
    PROS to scrapping
    enbles you to fish the best months of the year (april, may, june)
    better security (predator and poacher disruption)
    water quality monitoring
    can only help our beleaguered tackle shops
    those that dont want to see it abolished do not have togo if it is
    get 3 months more value from your rod licence
    Personally I think the 3 PROS associated with retaining the close season were disproven when it was made optional on stillwaters. I run a 3 water (non profit) stillwater syndicate in Essex and we have never observed any ill effects on either the fish or the banks and it certainly never stopped us conducting work parties. Oh, and by the way, most of the spawning happens either before or after the old close season dates anyway. You could argue a case for nostalgia (which i kind of share) but frankly thats not a rational reason. On balance I would say eliminate it asap as it serves no real world purpose.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

I have not seriously fished a river for a number of years,but I would like to see a close season in place even if only for 6 weeks. I am old enough to remember the close season on all waters and the anticipation waiting for the 16th of June.
    A local water Lymm Dam a near on 100 peg water was crowded at 4am on the 16th of June, everyone waiting for first light. Now you can drive past on the 16th and you will be lucky to see half a dozen on there, As for fish spawning
    on the stillwaters, responsible clubs close the waters involved anyway, so in effect there is some sort of close season in place around the country.

Sounds a good idea Mark.
    I do think they could have a just a few weeks non fishing on both lakes and rivers to fit in with spawning/recovering fish now climate change is with us?
    Maybe one month on rivers and the same for lakes, but not at the same time.

It is nice to have a path that hasn't been walked for a few weeks, and a few fish less cautious?

Blog Entries

Every water has its own characteristics, and a well trodden river bank with deepish water and a fair amount of boat traffic could see very little gain in having a closed season.

However the fish and wildlife along a shallowish gravel bottomed fairly remote river could come under a lot more stress at certain times during the springtime, and it could be very advantatious to retain a closed season albeit at a different time period more in line with the fish and the other wildlife in and around it.

Taking this into account wouldn’t it be a lot better for individual clubs and/or fishery owners to either retain a closed season (albeit at more suitable dates) or remain open all year round just as it currently is on stillwaters?.

I don’t think that the argument that ‘anglers would leave a club in droves if a club decided to retain a closed season’ holds a lot of water (excuse the pun) especially on a decent water as one of my clubs who still retained a closed season on its stillwater (until recently) still had a waiting list as long as your arm, and it wasn’t getting any shorter.

NB : The club recently decided to try opening all year round simply because of some Eastern Europeans who were found laying lines tied to trees and removing fish during the closed season when there was no-one there.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 20-03-2018 at 14:56.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12