New Feeder Rod & Reel Help

harticuz90

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking to purchase a new Feeder rod and reel thats in the current market

I don't want to spend any more then £120.00 on a reel or anymore then £120.00 on a feeder rod

An all rounder feeder rod thats versatile, including lakes and rivers, sensitive enough for silverfish but strong enough to bring in a double figure carp. Not looking to cast out at a really long range but long enough to reach islands I dont want anything thats too heavy either.

Have looked at the Preston carbon active range and the new monster range

Can anybody recommend?

Thanks

john step

Reaction score
someone more experienced at feeder fishing than I, will supply suggestions as to specific rods but I would say at those prices you would get a top notch outfit.

mikench

Reaction score
I would agree! Do remember that your request is like asking for a recommended holiday , car , bottle of wine, bike , woman, item of apparel, restaurant, culinary dish and so on! There is no definitive rod or reel at any price which will be recommended as being the one! Opinions are merely that and what suits one person will not suit another !

If I wanted to spend £250 on a rod and reel I would buy two or even three feeder rods in different lengths and one or even two baitrunner reels to suit both!

What makes an omega better than a Rolex, a Porsche better than a BMW, an expresso better than a macchiato ! Opinion that's what and often flawed and certainly biased. :wh

If we all used the same rod and reel the world would be doomed!

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Mike, I,m telling you to look no further than the Shakespeare agility twelve foot feeder. It will do everything you want and more.
Just contact Chapmans at Scunthorpe ! On offer right now, it will be the best £25 you'll ever spend on fishing tackle.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I bought one and couldn't agree more! It is a lovely rod and dare I say it like all the Shakey rods I own a revelation! I avoided responding to the post by reference to a particular rod but for the price the Shakespeare Agility is fantastic ! I used it recently with the Daiwa Emcast and was impressed! £25 represents a true bargain!

I love my Hardy feeder but at 10 times the price it should be good and indeed it is!

For the original poster £250 buys you a lot of good tackle and if spent wisely, tackle for most eventuality !

dalesman

Reaction score
Why would you want bait-runner reels for feeder fishing?

Over the last few years seen a couple of lads loose rods and reels with them occupied by rolling a fag, opening a can of ale or just talking to others, one just got up and went into the tackle shop and bought an other rod and reel (baitrunner), at the Oaks, Sessay. Hopping to reduce the chance loosing more gear with a bait runnner

john step

Reaction score
Over the last few years seen a couple of lads loose rods and reels with them occupied by rolling a fag, opening a can of ale or just talking to others,

I agree. You shouldn't need a bait runner but I like the insurance. I know we should concentrate at all times but....
I lost one last summer which I managed to retrieve. All I did was reach down for my flask thinking I wont get a pull round now and the inevitable happened to teach me a lesson.

yorkieman

Reaction score
Although I'm still very much a newbie, I much prefer having a baitrunner reel when feeder fishing.

Out of interest I thought the Baitrunner Reel was designed for feeder fishing but obviously not.

peterjg

Reaction score
Reel, I suggest that you look at the Shimano 4000DL, right size, great clutch and line lay.

Rod, have a look at the 11ft Shimano Beastmaster tip rods. I have two different versions which are slightly different but both nice rods, they are soft enough for roach but will handle bigger species.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I agree about the Shakespeare rod, there is also the Continental in the Shakespeare range, For the price Chapmans are charging I would get 2 , As for reels Shimano do the 4000 dl baitrunner for around £65 if you shop around, Brilliant reels, or if you don't want a baitrunner facility there is the Daiwa ninja and the Shakespeare agility, These rod and reels would be my set up,if I didn't already have feeder set ups,(Daiwa Harrier and Maver Abyss coupled with a shimano reels.) Chapmans have brought their "own Brand" of feeder rod out called the Shuriken, these are made by daiwa, You may get another 10 replies to your question and you will get varying answers, Go to a well stocked shop and have a waggle with a couple of brands with a reel attatched if possible, that way you will ge a feel for balance and weight. I have no connection to any of the brands or Chapmans, (other brands and shops available) sorry for long reply. :)

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I always thought a baitrunner was for feeder fishing but in truth it and all other reels are multi purpose if you wish. I use a baitrunner as a preferred choice for feeder fishing, bomb fishing or ledgering generally! In truth whether one uses a feeder or bomb you are using a weight to get your hookbait out to the fish so what's the difference other than additional feed? Often I do not engage the baitrunner facility but I like the option when carp are about and I am pouring a drink, musing on the travails of life or what I fancy for my tea. My reels offer the same features as plain fs reels only more! They are a must with a second rod for carp, tench, barbel or similar!

ben10

Reaction score
It depends whether it has to be new or not? I've tried all manner of new feeder rods when on the hunt for 'the perfect feeder rod'. It also depends what you intend to use it for?

I obviously can't comment on all new rods but the ones I did try just didn't have the action I was looking for. They seem to be much more through action for carp on commercials. I've ended up with 3 old rods from daiwa.

I have a connoisseur x medium/heavy feeder rod, a matchwinner twin top method feeder and a team daiwa 11-13 Stillwater combo. The actions of these rods are for more what I'd call 'a traditional' action. They're a much more progressive action with a stiff butt and softer top. It's obviously down to personal preference but rods like these come up all the time on eBay, and for £120 you'd get a mint 1. All the new daiwa tips fit so easy to just buy new 1s to get the t.c and action you want. The drennan tips also fit if you want a slower taper tip.

I was hesitant on going second hand but after trying 1 out for the old daiwa stable, I was hooked and can't ever see me replacing them with anything else.

Reel wise, I find a 3012 size daiwa absolutely bang on as an all round feeder reel. I haven't tried the ninja range but I've heard good things and well inside your budget. If you wanted to spend a little more then the daiwa tdm is a great reel, I have one in a 2508 size.

Hope this helps.

mikexx

Reaction score
Hello Mate,
I have the Shimano aero baitrunner 4000 reel,which is a very nice reel to fish with,and are available for around £90 from the big dealers on occasions. The Daiwa TDM reels are also an excellent product and well within your price budget,and whilst not a baitrunner it had QD( quick drag) that allows you to turn off the drag with less than a full turn of the lever on the spool. I have used this system for a couple of years now and it has proved to be very effective in keeping my rod from disappearing.Just turn the drag back on when you return to your rod. I suppose any similar type of reel is capable of this,but it is the quickness and ease of the one turn on the TDM that makes it more efficient in this instance.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
ben10 I have on old (30 year) daiwa canal wand, I would not swap or sell it for anything, brilliant little rod even used it
on a narrow commercial when I forgot to pack my short feeder rod, it handled F1's no problem, and it was made in the UK, the rods you have are great rods and are sought after, the same as the original Porky Pig from daiwa, The OP could also try the tackle exchange website, it is run by Roger Surgay of Used Tackle fame, he does a lot of 2nd hand rods from various brands,