Prawns for Perch

Nomad1

Reaction score
Off to a venue where prawns are very much on the menu for big Perch. Never used them as bait before so - cooked or raw?

john step

Reaction score
This has come up before. The pink ones you buy from the supermarket are apparently cooked. Perch love them. So do other fish.

Nomad1

Reaction score
This has come up before. The pink ones you buy from the supermarket are apparently cooked. Perch love them. So do other fish.
Thanks for your reply. I should have done a forum search before I asked. Got the info I need. Cheers

mikench

Reaction score
I'm rather partial myself! They are the only bait I know which you can eat if you feel peckish!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Prawns would need to be a far better bait than I've ever found them to be for me to splash out on them again. People mock boilie users for how expensive they are. Prawns make boilies look cheap.

They are the only bait I know which you can eat if you feel peckish!

Bread, sweetcorn, luncheon meat/Spam, etc?

mikench

Reaction score
My prawns are unadulterated! I cannot say the same for the rest ! I have just cured some corn and the wet bread/ microwaved and rolled bread doesn't appeal! Spam is best for fish and I cover mine in a sensas red gb( credit to Nottskev) so it lasts longer and gives off attractants! I still fail to catch but at least I try!:)

B

binka

I've never found a definitive answer to this, I reckon go with what you feel like and experiment.

I've read they Must be cooked, I've read they Must be raw and unpeeled, and I've read that frozen peeled and cooked prawns are glazed in something to preserve them and that they should be avoided at all cost as Perch dislike this coating!

Personally and depending on availability over their cooked counterparts I would go with raw and un-peeled, after all Perch eat crayfish and the hard shell might deter undesirables although I doubt it in many cases, it might ward off the smaller stuff though.

Might be worth giving it a really slow twitch every now and again.

I plan to have a bit of a foray into prawns as I've never done that well on them despite my pb for many years being caught on one and I put that lack of success more down to me than the bait and I'm quite looking forward to a bit of a concentrated effort with the various different offerings.

Philip

Reaction score
I've never found a definitive answer to this, I reckon go with what you feel like and experiment.

I've read they Must be cooked, I've read they Must be raw and unpeeled, and I've read that frozen peeled and cooked prawns are glazed in something to preserve them and that they should be avoided at all cost as Perch dislike this coating!

Personally and depending on availability over their cooked counterparts I would go with raw and un-peeled, after all Perch eat crayfish and the hard shell might deter undesirables although I doubt it in many cases, it might ward off the smaller stuff though.

Might be worth giving it a really slow twitch every now and again.

I plan to have a bit of a foray into prawns as I've never done that well on them despite my pb for many years being caught on one and I put that lack of success more down to me than the bait and I'm quite looking forward to a bit of a concentrated effort with the various different offerings.

Its funny as I would definatly go with the peeled version. Although its true that Perch eat Crayfish I think it cant do any harm to take off the "shell" to make it more appealing. If I was using the unpeeled I would be more inclined to do as you say and twitch it a bit as then I think your trying to basically provoke an "attack" rather than get it to just take a bait if you see what I mean.

I would be very interested to hear how you get on if you try a few variations as I am not sure either whats best.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have been that hungry that even bolies started to look appetizing....

I recall succumbing to the odd Richworth Tutti Fruitti as a teen in the eighties. I recall treating them like a strange gobstopper, but not actually eating one. However, it wouldn't surprise me if I did, even if it was for a bet!:D It's a shame that they went quite so far down the fishmeal road, I wouldn't dream of doing the same now. I have been tempted by some of the tiger nut concoctions though.

Philip

Reaction score
Ah yes Ritchworth tuttis, I certainly nibbled on a couple but never got round to eating them like a sort of bag of crisps.

Tiger nuts do look oddly appetizing- Good shout !

sam vimes

Reaction score
Tiger nuts do look oddly appetizing- Good shout !

I've eaten food grade tiger nuts often enough in the past, but not the stuff used for bait. I've had a few types of nutty/tiger nut boilies that have smelled quite appealing.

Philip

Reaction score
I did consider spreading Mainline CSL On some bread once as it looked a dead ringer for Marmite.

… it was a very thick and syrupy, not like the watery CSLs you often get nowadays.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have not had much success with prawns, but I am not sure that is more about me than the prawns. Last time I went after perch I took prawns but also used worms. Everything likes worms! First cast and I hooked a fish immediately but it wasn't a perch. I caught my first pike! The rest of the day I spent trying to catch perch on prawn and blanked!

On the subject of eating bait, the fish don't get much of a look-in at the Meatsters ( Aldi's version of Peperami). Those things are very moreish! In fact, after starting to buy them a bait, we now buy them as part of the weekly shop.

Ralph

shane99

Reaction score
I thaw my prawns then re freeze with a very good coating of krill powder. After a day of using those my Mrs orders me into the shower as I smell quite bad apparently :confused: lol

laguna

Reaction score
Raw and uncooked for me too, jigged head or a drop shot lead for perch. I never ever use bait that has been subjected to heat save perhaps for bread, but then I don't bake it myself and its always got a bit of mould on.... raw mould lol
Give fish what nature intended.. fish eat raw and raw is what I give em!

laguna

Reaction score
I have not had much success with prawns, but I am not sure that is more about me than the prawns. Last time I went after perch I took prawns but also used worms. Everything likes worms! First cast and I hooked a fish immediately but it wasn't a perch. I caught my first pike! The rest of the day I spent trying to catch perch on prawn and blanked!

On the subject of eating bait, the fish don't get much of a look-in at the Meatsters ( Aldi's version of Peperami). Those things are very moreish! In fact, after starting to buy them a bait, we now buy them as part of the weekly shop.

Ralph

Nice looking first pike there Ralph!
Did you target perch in the same swim that one came out of? It might be worth moving around a bit to find perch while staying away from where the pike are hanging out mate. I'm sure you did, but I thought I would just mention it.
On the subject of worms, I have a mate who fishes for pike exclusively using worms on what he calls his Madusa rig.... a big bunch of lobs on a circle hook!

His tip is to use two Madusa rigs, one at a time. Both circle hooks with lobs on, resting each one every 1/2 hour so the worms don't drown lol