Anyone having a final river fling tomorrow?

B

binka

Not me, apart from the fact I'm at work my local stretches of the Trent are running at three times their usual level and still rising fast!

I could have booked a day off at short notice but I think i'll give it a miss.

Anyone out tomorrow for a final fling?

ian g

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a late afternoon / evening session on the Severn , been up and down a bit lately but I'm hopefully of something

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nope, had quite a few days trotting for roach, dace and chub before the 'beast'ly weather but looked at the the local river and streams on Sunday and they're charging through with a chocolate coloured mess at almost bank bursting levels. Although we didn't have that much snow (melt) or heavy rain we're getting the cr@p from further west.....

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'll be there, well, someone's got to!

My first double figure pike and the 78th chub of the season, that's the plan, reality will be something altogether different I suspect.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe........maybe not, i'll decide tomorrow.

john step

Reaction score
The Trent has gone up even more. 2.61 meters. At 3.3 its in flood. That might be OK in a summer flood but as the melt has to be a major part, I will give it a miss.
In any case tomorrow is the deadline for me to get into the perch challenge. As the lane will be too soggy to contemplate driving along I am going to try to barrow to the lake.

B

binka

The Trent has gone up even more. 2.61 meters.

Yes I've been keeping an eye on that too, in a matter of days it has doubled what was already a moderately high level on Friday.

Then again, given the recent form of that station, it's probably in drought :drum:

bracket

Reaction score
I would love to, but every river in my area is in the fields. So looks like a session in the pub talking about it. Pete.

B

binka

I have given them until midnight to explain themselves.

After which time, in the event of no reply, you'll be parachuting Boris in.

Armed with a Union Jack briefcase and a poisoned brolly spike :laugh:

skov

Reaction score
Just about to head out for one last go on the drains.
My pike season has been pretty dire this year so I'm hoping they've just been saving themselves for today.

Update:

Didn't quite go as hoped... One big fat blank, and no big fat pike :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
Gave the Derwent a go yesterday, as a last hurrah.
It was mental, even my heavy feeders were barrelling downstream at a rapid rate of knots. Still it was good to be out though.
Looking forward to some lake fishing.

terry m

Reaction score
Had four or five hours on the Avon, found a couple of decent pike and lost a very decent one too.

Happy to leave it out for a couple of months now.

Agree with previous poster that the pike season this year has been really poor. But hey, always next year!

xenon

Reaction score
had a final session on the Thames at Kingston Bridge. River was belting through and chocolate coloured so I struggled a bit-5oz feeders didn't hold a third of the way across so fished in the margin for a bonus half decent bream-more than I expected, but it's been a pretty mediocre season this year so not sad to see the back of it, TBH.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Well what a finish to the season! A trip to Hemmings Fishing Tackle in Penge saw me part with about £30 for bait and a very nice Chub body warmer for about the same price. Now £60 quid poorer, I arrived home to get my gear ready for the last day.

In the morning I had a very nice breakfast and set off. I had planned a later start and intended to fish into the evening for barbel. Five miles down the road I had one of those lightbulb moments and remembered my folder with the permits and combination lock number was still on the dining table, ******! Turned around and got them. When I arrived at the fishery I opened the gate and drove in, as I drove nearer to the river I noticed some deep grooves where others had got stuck. I looked for what seemed to be the most solid ground to turn and sunk half a wheel deep in the mud. I then spent the next hour and a half only moving three feet and even deeper in the mud.

Realising that I wasn’t going to do this on my own I tried to call the AA. No signal and I was at the bottom of a bridal path, it wasn’t where I really wanted to be. Off on a trek to the nearest village where true to form I bumped into the village idiot who directed me to the nearest farm where I may have been able to bribe the tractor driver to drag me out. Unfortunately the village idiot’s directions left much to be desired. Go over three river bridges, turn left at the fourth oak tree on your right, you will come to a thatched cottage on the left, don’t bother about that but bear right at the left hand fork. By now I had not only glazed over but Id’e forgotten the first bit. I tried again, “you don’t have a mobile on a different network by any chance?” “No, but when I did I went to the top of that hill over there to get a signal.” “Did it work?” “No” FFS!

I set off in the general direction the idiot suggested, and wonder of wonders about a mile up the road I had a signal, I phoned the AA and arranged a meeting place. The patrolman was a star, it took about an hour to extricate the car by which time it wasn’t worth starting to fish and I wasn’t in the mood anyway. Sixty quid in the tackle shop, twenty five quid to the patrolman, who went well beyond the call of duty and another twenty to get the car steam cleaned and valeted, plus food and fuel I reckon that it cost me about£125 to not wet a line. Home in time to watch the footie and see my team Chelsea get stuffed by Barcelona, happy days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Well what a finish to the season! A trip to Hemmings Fishing Tackle in Penge saw me part with about £30 for bait add a very nice Chub body warmer for about the same price. Now £60 quid poorer I arrived home to get my gear ready for the last day.

In the morning I had a very nice breakfast and set off. I had planned a later start and intended to fish into the evening for barbel. Five miles down the road I had one of those lightbulb moments and remembered my folder with the permits and combination lock number was still on the dining table, ******! Turned around and got them. When I arrived at the fishery I opened the gate and drove in, as I drove nearer to the river I noticed some deep grooves where others had got stuck. I looked for what seemed to be the most solid ground to turn and sunk half a wheel deep in the mud. I then spent the next hour and a half only moving three feet and even deeper in the mud.

Realising that I wasn’t going to do this on my own I tried to call the AA. No signal and I was at the bottom of a bridal path, it wasn’t where I really wanted to be. Off on a trek to the nearest village where true to form I bumped into the village idiot who directed me to the nearest farm where I may have been able to bribe the tractor driver to drag me out. Unfortunately the village idiot’s directions left much to be desired. Go over three river bridges, turn left at the fourth oak tree on your right, you will come to a thatched cottage on the left, don’t bother about that but bear right at the left hand fork. By now I had not only glazed over but Id’e forgotten the first bit. I tried again, “you don’t have a mobile on a different network by any chance?” “No, but when I did I went to the top of that hill over there to get a signal.” “Did it work?” “No” FFS!

I set off in the general direction the idiot suggested, and wonder of wonders about a mile up the road I had a signal, I phoned the AA and arranged a meeting place. The patrolman was a star, it took about an hour to extricate the car by which time it wasn’t worth starting to fish and I wasn’t in the mood anyway. Sixty quid in the tackle shop, twenty five quid to the patrolman, who went well beyond the call of duty and another twenty to get the car steam cleaned and valeted, plus food and fuel I reckon that it cost me about£125 to not wet a line. Home in time to watch the footie and see my team Chelsea get stuffed by Barcelona, happy days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can just imagine the frustration! I can't match that, but one day last year I set off fishing, and came to a halt a few miles down the road as the nearby M1 was closed due to a man threatening to jump from a gantry. The traffic was gridlocked for miles - it was near the airport and the site of a huge music festival - and it took 3 hours to get to a point where I could turn around and head home, which took a further hour. Not only had I not fished, I hadn't even got out of the car. I wasn't the worst affected. As I sat in the queue, there were people - families, young women in fancy shoes etc - dragging their luggage down the grass verge on foot, heading for the airport 5 or 6 miles away.