Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Need advice on a feeder rod and tatics

For £20or so you can buy an example of every type of feeder and I would do this and try them all. A method feeder( there are several different makes and sizes, a hybrid feeder( guru) , a pellet feeder( my favourite), a maggot feeder( Kamasan black cap) and a banjo feeder. I would also buy a few bombs. I like elasticated feeders with light tips on stillwaters.

The fun part, apart from catching fish, is to ring the changes with feeders and bait so buy a few!

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

I would use a maggot feeder to start, maggots will catch everything that swims, with a method feeder you
    are being selective with feed on the feeder, either softened pellet or groundbait, there is nothing to stop
    you putting maggots on the hook though, also the same with a maggot feeder, it may have maggots in it, but again
    any bait on the hook, ie bread pellet, meat corn, worm, having a different bait than feed can often work better than feeding and fishing same bait as others may be doing, You say the pool is small, what size is it ? I would use the lightest tip you can, I sometime use 3/4 to 1oz tips on commercials and land F1's and carp ok,

Good advice there! My favourite feeder rod has 3 tips; 3/4 oz, 1oz and 1.5oz. I usually use the 3/4 oz tip if the weather is calm and I am not casting far!

4. Default Re: Need advice on a feeder rod and tatics

Finally, would a 2 oz tip be suitable due to the short casting distance? I want to make sure everything is as balances as possible

I think the 2oz tip would be too stiff for the silvers but ok if your fishing the method feeder for carp.
    For all round fishing i would use a lighter tip.
    Last edited by fishcatcher60; 27-03-2018 at 18:37.

Blog Entries

I have found that the 1.5oz tip out of my Shakespeare Sigma feeder fits the my Forcemaster which I use if this helps in looking for a lighter tip

Thanks for the comment,

I am terrible with judging the size of pools. I mean, I would only fishing 3-5 rod length out depending on swim.

Method feeder, with pellets, is great when the water warms up and the carp are keen to feed, but it might not be ideal now. It's also relatively "static" - it doesn't leave you much to do, beyond casting in and waiting, which could get dull if the fish are uninterested. I'd suggest trying a small maggot feeder. Maggots appeal to all species, and are good for cold conditions when fish feed lightly. You can drop a maggot feeder in with less disturbance, vary the number/colour of maggots on the hook and try hookength tails of different lengths, allowing you to show the fish a slow-falling bait, for example. If you cast to a spot a couple of times, you can then swap the feeder for a bomb, and thus adjust how much/whether you feed. If you cast the feeder in and don't get a bite, you can pull the feeder and bait back towards you a foot, and sometimes induce a bite from a fish that wasn't previously interested. By contrast, once your method feeder is in, you tighten up carefully and gently, then leave it strictly alone.
    This bloke gives a demo of fishing for carp in cold weather with a maggot feeder. (If everyone on your pool is catching carp on a method feeder, ignore me.)

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clutch View Post
    Thanks for the comment,

I am terrible with judging the size of pools. I mean, I would only fishing 3-5 rod length out depending on swim.
    at that range I would fish the pole, and if you have any features such as an island at around 20 metres, cast a straight lead as close as you can to it, have a few casts without a hook on first to get the range and not get snagged up,clip up, put a short hooklength on, softened pellets or medium stiff groundbait about the half the size of a golf ball around your lead with maggot hook bait buried in it and cast to the island, less noise than a feeder and still puts bait in the water, I do this on a water where method feeders are banned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12