Need advice on a feeder rod and tatics

clutch

Reaction score
Hey,

I have recently discovered fishing and I have had a great season on the river. Now that the season is closed, I have been looking for alternative venues to fish whilst the Severn is out of action.

I have got the opportunity to fish a still water, nothing massive, stocked with carp up to 10'lb, roach, perch, skimmers etc.

I fancy giving feeder fishing ago and I could use some advice on what rod and length I should be looking at. I don't want to spend too much if possible. £40-ish on a rod if I can get away with it. Also, not sure what sort of length would be a good starting point. So, if anyone has any ideas about what rod to get, then that would be very helpful.

Also, if anyone has any advice on how to approach a small mixed fishery, tactics, rigs, line recommendations etc then I would be very grateful.

Cheers

chrissh

Reaction score
If you’re targeting shy biting silverfish use a very light tip. For larger species like carp, tench and barbel, you should use a heavier tip. The bites from these species aren’t shy and they will often try to pull the rod in. which I have seen too many times. I use the Guru Reaper rear grip rest about £6.50
It’s cheaper than a new rod & reel!!!

Rough guide tip rating
0.5oz - 1oz. Stillwaters Silverfish
1.5oz - 2oz. Stillwaters and slow-moving rivers Small carp, tench bream and silverfish
2.5oz - 3oz. Stillwaters and moderately flowing rivers Carp, tench and chub
4oz – plus. Distance fishing, the Method feeder and fast-flowing rivers Double-figure carp and barbel

CARBON tips are stiffer and generally have a higher strength rating (2oz to 6oz).
GLASS tips have a soft, progressive action and are produced in lower test curves (0.5oz to 2.5oz)

The heavier the feeder/leger weight, the stronger the tip should be. If you use too light a tip it will either not cast the weight properly or, worse still break on the cast!

The rating is the test curve (meaning the amount of strength it take to pull around) Non the casting
Weigh

Go to any fishery and look at a lot of people using feeders a lot are over balanced with to heavy feeders packed with bait or the wrong tip. Just because a rod say it can cast a 3oz feeder doesn’t mean you have to use that on still water. There’s a lot more to fishing then being able to casting a weight to the other side of the lake, fish the margins learn about the waters you fish (water craft) try different baits. You never stop learning

If you are fish on commercial pond a 10ft /11ft feeder rod would be ok as its not needed for casting to any distance use a reel line of 6lb hook length 4lb they will cast a feeders from 15g-45g

Bigger rivers or lakes 12ft rod

Shimano, diawa, Korum all sell good feeder rods from £30 up

A small baby baitrunner reel 2500 or 4000 size from £35 up

Shimano Forcemaster 10ft Feeder Rod Hyperloop Reel and Line Combo Offer 7437333622617 | eBay

SHIMANO FORCEMASTER COMMERCIAL 10' MINI FEEDER ROD - EX DISPLAY | eBay

Shimano Baitrunner ST 2500 RB Reel Coarse Carp Specimen Fishing - BTRST2500FB 22255190251 | eBay

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Clutch: the previous post covered a big topic really well, here are a few more points which might help:

Don't use less than 6lb reel line, casting heavy feeders is hard on line.

Try to cast as accurately as possible.

Start off with maggots to help you get used to quiver tipping.

Use the softest appropriate tip but it is better for the tip to be too stiff than too soft.

I prefer 11ft tip rods but find one to suit you.

Swingtips are far more sensitive but are better suited to shorter casts.

Vary the length of hook link to find which is best on the day, roach especially can be very picky and no two days are the same in the way they feed.

There is loads more to it but the above might also help, good luck.

clutch

Reaction score
Wow,

Thanks for that. Just what I needed.

Would you recommend the forcemaster rods as a good entry point?

The pool itself is reasonably small, so I will bear in mind trying to match the feeder with the tip, line etc.

Thanks again.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The Forcemaster rods are good, also the Daiwa Harrier/Ninja rods and the Maver Abyss, I think the latter 2 have a softer action than the Forcemaster. Garbolino do one called the Maxim which also has a pellet waggler top with it, this may just be above your budget, 11' is a good length for most uses, try and get one with at least 2 tips, Like Peter said, start with maggots either on a straight lead or in a swimfeeder.No need for "horizon" casting, If you see movement in the margins, it can pay to lower your bait there and fish a slack line and watch where the line enters the water and not the tip for any bites, but keep hold of your rod.

cockneybob

Reaction score
I have the forcemaster 10ft AX with a 2&3 Oz tips mainly for carp a very good rod for the money.
Chrissy, very good write up what is the max weight feeder you recommend casting with each of the tips

chrissh

Reaction score
Wow,

Thanks for that. Just what I needed.

Would you recommend the forcemaster rods as a good entry point?

The pool itself is reasonably small, so I will bear in mind trying to match the feeder with the tip, line etc.

Thanks again.

I stated with the Forcemaster feeder when I stated to visit mixed commercials then I made the jump to a Speedmaster feeder only because my daughter want to buy it for a birthday present if she hadn’t offered I would still be using the forcemaster today. The forcemaster is a very good rod for the money the rod can cast up to a 40g feeder but on commercial a 15-20g or just a 1/2-1oz bomb is all you need. these rod will happerly handle 10-15lb plus fish all day

chrissh

Reaction score
I have the forcemaster 10ft AX with a 2&3 Oz tips mainly for carp a very good rod for the money.
Chrissy, very good write up what is the max weight feeder you recommend casting with each of the tips

Myself on commercials I only use 15/20g which you can buy in 3 sizes (S) (M) (L)…It all depends on how far you want to cast 1/2oz tip feeder or bomb 15g up to 20 yards… a 1oz with the same weight 30 yards. 2oz tip with 30 -40 years

clutch

Reaction score
I stated with the Forcemaster feeder when I stated to visit mixed commercials then I made the jump to a Speedmaster feeder only because my daughter want to buy it for a birthday present if she hadn’t offered I would still be using the forcemaster today. The forcemaster is a very good rod for the money the rod can cast up to a 40g feeder but on commercial a 15-20g or just a 1/2-1oz bomb is all you need. these rod will happerly handle 10-15lb plus fish all day

Thanks again.

I think I will go with the forcemaster. I have been to look at the pool today, its quite small, so I wont need to be casting long distances anyway. I was thinking about getting the 10ft version.

After a bit of research the pool is mainly stocked with carp, nothing really bigger then 10lbs and a few skimmers.

Would you recommend using a maggot feeder to start or go with a method feeder? I know its personal choice for some, especially when approaching a new water.

Finally, would a 2 oz tip be suitable due to the short casting distance? I want to make sure everything is as balances as possible.

Thanks for the help

mikench

Reaction score
For £20or so you can buy an example of every type of feeder and I would do this and try them all. A method feeder( there are several different makes and sizes, a hybrid feeder( guru) , a pellet feeder( my favourite), a maggot feeder( Kamasan black cap) and a banjo feeder. I would also buy a few bombs. I like elasticated feeders with light tips on stillwaters.

The fun part, apart from catching fish, is to ring the changes with feeders and bait so buy a few!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I would use a maggot feeder to start, maggots will catch everything that swims, with a method feeder you
are being selective with feed on the feeder, either softened pellet or groundbait, there is nothing to stop
you putting maggots on the hook though, also the same with a maggot feeder, it may have maggots in it, but again
any bait on the hook, ie bread pellet, meat corn, worm, having a different bait than feed can often work better than feeding and fishing same bait as others may be doing, You say the pool is small, what size is it ? I would use the lightest tip you can, I sometime use 3/4 to 1oz tips on commercials and land F1's and carp ok,

mikench

Reaction score
Good advice there! My favourite feeder rod has 3 tips; 3/4 oz, 1oz and 1.5oz. I usually use the 3/4 oz tip if the weather is calm and I am not casting far!

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Finally, would a 2 oz tip be suitable due to the short casting distance? I want to make sure everything is as balances as possible

I think the 2oz tip would be too stiff for the silvers but ok if your fishing the method feeder for carp.
For all round fishing i would use a lighter tip.

Last edited:

cockneybob

Reaction score
I have found that the 1.5oz tip out of my Shakespeare Sigma feeder fits the my Forcemaster which I use if this helps in looking for a lighter tip

clutch

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment,

I am terrible with judging the size of pools. I mean, I would only fishing 3-5 rod length out depending on swim.

nottskev

Reaction score
Method feeder, with pellets, is great when the water warms up and the carp are keen to feed, but it might not be ideal now. It's also relatively "static" - it doesn't leave you much to do, beyond casting in and waiting, which could get dull if the fish are uninterested. I'd suggest trying a small maggot feeder. Maggots appeal to all species, and are good for cold conditions when fish feed lightly. You can drop a maggot feeder in with less disturbance, vary the number/colour of maggots on the hook and try hookength tails of different lengths, allowing you to show the fish a slow-falling bait, for example. If you cast to a spot a couple of times, you can then swap the feeder for a bomb, and thus adjust how much/whether you feed. If you cast the feeder in and don't get a bite, you can pull the feeder and bait back towards you a foot, and sometimes induce a bite from a fish that wasn't previously interested. By contrast, once your method feeder is in, you tighten up carefully and gently, then leave it strictly alone.
This bloke gives a demo of fishing for carp in cold weather with a maggot feeder. (If everyone on your pool is catching carp on a method feeder, ignore me.)

YouTube

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment,

I am terrible with judging the size of pools. I mean, I would only fishing 3-5 rod length out depending on swim.

at that range I would fish the pole, and if you have any features such as an island at around 20 metres, cast a straight lead as close as you can to it, have a few casts without a hook on first to get the range and not get snagged up,clip up, put a short hooklength on, softened pellets or medium stiff groundbait about the half the size of a golf ball around your lead with maggot hook bait buried in it and cast to the island, less noise than a feeder and still puts bait in the water, I do this on a water where method feeders are banned.