Carp stocking V's trends and ability?

B

binka

Just what exactly is it that is driving the relentless stocking and preoccupation with carp which is ruining 'other' fishing on so many waters?

I'm not just talking about commies and yes this is driven by the very sour taste left by my experience this weekend where a club who already has perfectly good mixed fishing on several gravel pits appears to be spending (without any consultation!) a lot of its member's money by trying to emulate a carp puddle?

I don't get it, I just don't get it! :eek:mg:

Is it a general inability by today's anglers so that they are catching the fish easier, is it the instant success that the modern lifestyle demands, is it media driven by the glossy rags and tackle industry or is it something else altogether?

Don't tell me it's not there though, because it most definitely is!

Philip

Reaction score
Could it be that the other fish you like are still there but they have just become a bit harder to catch because there are more fish now in general such as Carp to eat your bait first ?

Or to put it another way maybe your fishery is not ruined at all...you just have more fish in there to fish for ...which is a good thing right ? ...more fish...

Or to put it yet another way ...why not stop complaining and up your game to catch your target species...or go somewere "easier" with just Tench or Perch or Roach so you can pretend your a brilliant Tench, Perch or Roach angler whose tactics single out those species.

Or if its really just all too much Golf has no Carp ..why not take up that ?

Just saying as the Carp bashing does get a bit boring ...:)

B

binka

Could it be that the other fish you like are still there but they have just become a bit harder to catch because there are more fish now in general such as Carp to eat your bait first ?

Or to put it another way maybe your fishery is not ruined at all...you just have more fish in there to fish for ...which is a good thing right ? ...more fish...

Or to put it yet another way ...why not stop complaining and up your game to catch your target species...or go somewere "easier" with just Tench or Perch or Roach so you can pretend your a brilliant Tench, Perch or Roach angler whose tactics single out those species.

Or if its really just all too much Golf has no Carp ..why not take up that ?

Just saying as the Carp bashing does get a bit boring ...:)

No, none of those.

On your first comment, other species have become almost impossible to catch due to the over stocking of mud pigs which hoover up everything and anything in sight, including eggs of other species after spawning which further upsets any natural balance of a fishery.

On your second point, more fish to catch is not a good thing imo if every one turns out to be, wait for it... a carp!

Oh the unpredictability of it all.

On your third point I was quite happy as I was, as were the fisheries, and I don't see why I should continually have to source new waters due to the on going and incompetent intervention of man pouring thousands of pounds of carp into waters.

Your fourth doesn't warrant reply.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The estate lake I fish has just been stocked with a hundred carp, fortunately they are Crucians!

A day ticket I use to fish had a restock with several hundred F1s, it now has the KHV virus.

Philip

Reaction score
In reply to post 3 ..

First point so lets get this straight when they stock Carp are you implying your other fish simply what ...vanish into thin air ? .."impossible" to catch ? ..No I dont think so ...what about all those big Perch & Roach to name but two that have sprung up BECAUSE of Carp waters. Fact is the other fish are not "impossible" to catch. The fact YOU cant catch them does not mean they are "impossible" to catch.

Second point - thats subjective ...I love Carp ..more please ! ...if you dont , well too bad for you I am afraid. ....PS why are you not complaining about Roach...not too many of them about for you ?

Third point - pay more like the Carp anglers do to fish for Carp and you wont have a problem....if you pay enough I am quite sure they will even create you you own lake with just Perch. Start dipping into your pocket and stop complaining.

Forth point, fine by me.

nottskev

Reaction score
In reply to post 3 ..

First point so lets get this straight when they stock Carp are you implying your other fish simply what ...vanish into thin air ? .."impossible" to catch ? ..No I dont think so ...what about all those big Perch & Roach to name but two that have sprung up BECAUSE of Carp waters. Fact is the other fish are not "impossible" to catch. The fact YOU cant catch them does not mean they are "impossible" to catch.

Second point - thats subjective ...I love Carp ..more please ! ...if you dont , well too bad for you I am afraid. ....PS why are you not complaining about Roach...not too many of them about for you ?

Third point - pay more like the Carp anglers do to fish for Carp and you wont have a problem....if you pay enough I am quite sure they will even create you you own lake with just Perch. Start dipping into your pocket and stop complaining.

Forth point, fine by me.

You might consider that when you add a new species to an environment, you don't just add in an extra type of fish - you change that environment. Carp are well known, as large, fast growing, foraging fish, as habitat modifiers - the lake and its ecology are not the same when carp are introduced as they were before. Their impact on the water, and the other species which share it, is there to be seen.
It's quite reasonable for anglers who are less interested in carp than you evidently are, to say they prefer that waters they fish should not be modified by the introduction of carp. Quite a number of anglers share that concern. You might also consider that carp have been introduced into waters, new and old, at an unprecedented rate and an unprecedented scale, and it's quite likely this will prove to have both gains and losses,both of which a reasonable person will acknowledge.

Your rather bad-tempered, throwaway points - like it or lump it, learn to fish better, buy your own lake etc - don't really do justice to the topic discussed.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
It's quite reasonable for anglers who are less interested in carp than you evidently are, to say they prefer that waters they fish should not be modified by the introduction of carp. Quite a number of anglers share that concern.

But not enough else you would get the waters you want.

our rather bad-tempered, throwaway points - like it or lump it, learn to fish better, buy your own lake etc - don't really do justice to the topic discussed.

& no your antagonistic & over simplistic view of the matter which continually misses out why there are so many Carp does not do the subject justice.

nottskev

Reaction score

& no your antagonistic & over simplistic view of the matter which continually misses out why there are so many Carp does not do the subject justice.

Can you quote the bits where I'm antagonistic and over-simple?

A point I've made on here a number of times: My club's mixed fishery ponds were effectively ruined by the badly thought through decision to introduce numbers of carp. They grew more quickly and bigger than expected; their size was incompatible with most anglers mixed-fishery tackle and tactics; they homed in on any feed and were impossible to avoid; lost fish were too common; other species faded into the background; the club lost members. Even the officials responsible for the introduction conceded it was a mistake, and the club has had to invest in expensive removals it can ill afford.

For the last time: this is not an attack on your favourite fish. This is an example of how carp stocking can be the wrong thing, of how their introduction can pan out badly, and why people like me make the point that the recent - in historic terms - fashion for boosting fish stocks with a consignment of carp has its negative side. It's also an example of how SOME people can want them - there was opposition within the club - but later understand that they should have been more careful what they wished for. If you can read that, and think it's nothing but antagonism and simplification, I can only assume you're so nettled that not everyone values all carp in all waters that you can't see another person's point.

sam vimes

Reaction score
With my club officials hat on, I know full well that not having stillwaters with carp in adversely affects the income of clubs. You, I and others on here might be quite content with rivers and more mixed stillwaters, but the reality is that the majority aren't. They'd rather spend small fortunes fishing carp filled commercial match venues or out and out big carp waters. The clubs that are doing well will generally need stacks of prolific waters. If they don't have wildly popular stretches of river, or stillwaters with specimen fish, they are likely to need carp waters to survive. That may mean something mimicking a match type commie or a big carp water. The bottom line is that carp are popular. They bring in members and that pays the bills. I wish my clubs could get hold of a stillwater that was either stuffed with carp or had a decent head of big carp. I may not be overly keen to fish there (not unless there were other species of good size or numbers), but it would probably secure the future of the clubs for years to come.

The two main clubs I'm in are predominantly river based, just the way I like it. One has a small carpless (other than crucians) stillwater, the other a mixed stillwater with some carp. The former is barely fished at all. In about ten trips last year I never saw another soul down there. The latter is fished a little more, but it's way too hard for many or the fish too small for others. People would generally rather go to some decidedly average local commies and pay at least a tenth of the cost of a club year book for a day ticket. I doubt either water is the reason for more than tiny number of members join the respective clubs. Those of us that are, at best, indifferent to carp are not numerous enough, nor are we quite as willing to pay as much to fish for alternate species, especially if they aren't of a particularly significant size.

john r stockburn

Reaction score

typical carp angler ,....

Philip

Reaction score
Can you quote the bits where I'm antagonistic and over-simple?

Certainly.

Antagonistic when you told me I was bad tempered, my comments where throwaway and didn’t do the subject justice - post #6. And neatly overlooking the multiple and continued Anti Carp posts made on an almost daily basis.

Over simple as you appear to give the impression that people are only stocking Carp for what ..the hell or it and just to annoy you & other general anglers ?

As for the rest of your post I cannot comment on your specific water. What I can comment on in general terms is that if the general pleasure anglers were prepared to pay like the Carp anglers do then there would be more general pleasure angling waters.

Last edited:
B

binka

In reply to post 3 ..

Forth point, fine by me.

We can play tennis with this until the cows come home, the fact that you seem to be overlooking the obvious is neither here nor there to me.

There are some very easy replies to that post but if you can't anticipate them then I fear the trouble taken to type them out would be wasted.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All I can say for certain is carp cause more argument, conflict, bad feeling, theft and poaching than all the other species put together, that’s the case in my local waters anyway.

When I fished as a kid, if you caught a carp it was a big deal.

nottskev

Reaction score
Certainly.

Antagonistic when you told me I was bad tempered, my comments where throwaway and didn’t do the subject justice - post #6. And neatly overlooking the multiple and continued Anti Carp posts made on an almost daily basis.

Over simple as you appear to give the impression that people are only stocking Carp for what ..the hell or it and just to annoy you & other general anglers ?

As for the rest of your post I cannot comment on your specific water. What I can comment on in general terms is that if the general pleasure anglers were prepared to pay like the Carp anglers do then there would be more general pleasure angling waters.

Thanks for clarifying. As I thought, you're mixing me up with someone else. Or someone imaginary. :)

steve2

Reaction score
One of my clubs recently netted 2 waters to remove what they saw as to many silver fish that were affecting the growth of the carp stock. What did they replace them with, more big carp.

Carp fishing and carp stocking is now a big business.
If I look at just some of my local carp waters the price is now between £400 and £1000 a year with a waiting list on some. For this you get totally managed water where only big carp are fished for and stocked. Netting takes place to remove unwanted fish, nothing it seems must get in the way of the big carp.
If that is what you want from fishing then who am I to say you are wrong. It’s just not for me anymore.

nottskev

Reaction score
With my club officials hat on, I know full well that not having stillwaters with carp in adversely affects the income of clubs. You, I and others on here might be quite content with rivers and more mixed stillwaters, but the reality is that the majority aren't. They'd rather spend small fortunes fishing carp filled commercial match venues or out and out big carp waters. The clubs that are doing well will generally need stacks of prolific waters. If they don't have wildly popular stretches of river, or stillwaters with specimen fish, they are likely to need carp waters to survive. That may mean something mimicking a match type commie or a big carp water. The bottom line is that carp are popular. They bring in members and that pays the bills. I wish my clubs could get hold of a stillwater that was either stuffed with carp or had a decent head of big carp. I may not be overly keen to fish there (not unless there were other species of good size or numbers), but it would probably secure the future of the clubs for years to come.

The two main clubs I'm in are predominantly river based, just the way I like it. One has a small carpless (other than crucians) stillwater, the other a mixed stillwater with some carp. The former is barely fished at all. In about ten trips last year I never saw another soul down there. The latter is fished a little more, but it's way too hard for many or the fish too small for others. People would generally rather go to some decidedly average local commies and pay at least a tenth of the cost of a club year book for a day ticket. I doubt either water is the reason for more than tiny number of members join the respective clubs. Those of us that are, at best, indifferent to carp are not numerous enough, nor are we quite as willing to pay as much to fish for alternate species, especially if they aren't of a particularly significant size.

Hello Sam, I wouldn't argue with your description of the way carp commercials work in the context of a market for angling.
They clearly are popular and in market terms they secure their existence by bringing in the money. And the carp is the species which for numerous reasons, not all of which are because people love them, best fits the role of commodity in the commercial context.

But I don't feel I have to restrict my opinions or my taste in fishing to what is currently the main trend. The big supermarkets dominate the retail scene, but you can, if you like, give your custom to the locals and the independents. And talk up that alternative way to shop. Or fish! Just because there's a Tesco on every corner doesn't mean I have to go there; just because Amazon is there, I don't have to use it all the time. People indeed put their money in those directions - but can come to see that cheap and convenient come at a cost. So when I post in favour of kinds of fishing outside the carp commercial model or the carp-stocked club water, I wouldn't agree, even if it's a minority view, that it's entirely unrealistic. "Reality" changes, and trends, even money-spinning ones come and go. Who would have imagined, given the dominance of cr*p beer in the 70' and 80's that we'd be blessed as never before with craft beers or real ales? Who'd have thought, when the CD looked like the last word in audio pleasure and convenience, that people would ever again buy music on vinyl? And so on. Carp commercials are surely here to stay, but (ask Chelsea or Leicester fans) things do evolve, and it's quite reasonable for anglers that way inclined to call out some of the negative aspects of the current scene and continue to pursue and talk up the alternative, whether on forums or in club meetings.

By the way, I'm struck by the way, when you post on this topic, you always point to a number of decent, barely fished non-carp local fisheries. I wish I could find them so easily where I live - and I'm regularly out looking. And earwigging anglers' conversations for fresh clues. :)

thecrow

Reaction score
There has been for as long as I have been a member of FM an anti carp faction who seem to take great delight in calling both the carp and those that fish for them derogatory names, Mud pigs is a favourite one which could easily apply to other species such as tench, bream or any other species that are in a fishery with a silty bottom, they all feed in the silt/mud as that is where the majority of natural food will be found.

There are also those that don't like the way some anglers choose to fish for carp, with respect its sod all to do with them how other anglers choose to fish. There are good and bad in ALL branches of angling a fact that seems to be ignored by the anti carp/carp angler posters.

I know the water Steve has mentioned having fished it with him, the complex it is on and the financial clout that the club has should have made it easy for them to either not introduce more carp to the water or to purchase another water or even to wait until the one water becomes two that they could use to stock carp in, the fact that the committee have not gone down this route is not the fault of the carp its down to the arrogance of the committee nothing more.

Proper carp, proper carp waters, proper carp tackle, typical carp angler, fish that don't count all of it is bo!!ocks, I can understand why Steve is so pi$$ed off with what has happened as there was no need to do it there were alternatives which were ignored.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I know not everyone has one nearby, but many do. Miles upon miles of virtual carp free fishing all year round, often free or reasonably priced day ticket is available on our canals. I know some urban stretches can be a bit rough but there's some very pleasant rural stretches around on most.

wetthrough

Reaction score
WRT the original post. Maybe clubs have incorrectly identified the problem. They see commercials as competition and conclude that more Carp
and bigger fish is why they're losing out. It might be part of the solution but I'd suggest ease of access, state of pegs, on site bait availability
are just if not more important. My first revisit to fishing was on Woodland Waters in Ancaster. They do have puddles there but the specimen
lake is just as well fished and I don't think anyone would consider it an easy water. There are good sized Carp in there, I counted 13 in a shoal
but they're not being hauled out every two minutes and there are plenty of other fish. I would suggest that a large part of the reason it is well
fished is the ease of access. You can drive right round the lake and park behind the peg in some places and fairly close in others. OK, being a
camp site it has somewhat of a captive audience. In contrast, Lymm Dam where I fish quite regularly, which has the whole of Lymm and
beyond as a captive audience is barely fished but it's nearly half a mile long and the only parking is at either end. From the far end it's a fair
walk to get to the water. If you want to fish one of the central pegs you've nearly 1/4ml to walk with 45lb or more of gear. Ease of access and
well maintaned pegs are IMO just as important as the fish stock, particularly with an ageing angling population. IMO clubs would fair better
with less but better maintained waters if they want to compete with commercials. In many cases there isn't a lot clubs can do about access,
Lymm Dam being typical but they could maintain pegs and walk access better. That's not a criticism of Bay Malton who run the Dam. They
have been doing a lot of work on the pegs but being council property their hands are tied to some extent. We fish with a lot more gear than
in the past. Ease of access makes commercials very attractive to my aching limbs.

nottskev

Reaction score
I know not everyone has one nearby, but many do. Miles upon miles of virtual carp free fishing all year round, often free or reasonably priced day ticket is available on our canals. I know some urban stretches can be a bit rough but there's some very pleasant rural stretches around on most.

That's true, and your posts are a great advert for the GUC. For years I fished canals almost exclusively. I wish I could like them as much now, but I find my patience with the boat traffic and towpath mayhem, both increased enormously, has worn a bit too thin to enjoy them.

There are a few disused or partially restored canals nearby. One is quite well-known as a tench water, and is a nice close-season venue. Another had been adopted by a small local club, and stocked with roach, ide and chub. I was buying my ticket in a local tackle shop when the owner - I swear I'm not making this up to prove a point - said "It will be a bit different now they've put all those carp in....." I passed on it.