Pulla bung with solid elastics?

antiquea

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I'm going to fit my last remaining top kit with some middy solid 14-16 elastic. I find I loose a touch of control with the 10-12 when fishing near snags - even for small carp and slab bream.

At the moment I have pulla bungs in all my top kits, but are they actually needed for solid elastics? A buddy told me they are actually mainly to be used with hollow elastics.

Also, save making a whole new thread, how often should I change my elastic? I fish at least once a week.

Thanks in advance for nay help!

soft plastic

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I'm going to fit my last remaining top kit with some middy solid 14-16 elastic. I find I loose a touch of control with the 10-12 when fishing near snags - even for small carp and slab bream.

At the moment I have pulla bungs in all my top kits, but are they actually needed for solid elastics? A buddy told me they are actually mainly to be used with hollow elastics.

Also, save making a whole new thread, how often should I change my elastic? I fish at least once a week.

Thanks in advance for nay help!

I am sure that you will get differing advice from mine but here's my take on it. Firstly, why did you choose pulla bungs and not side pullers? I take it that maybe your top kits weren't drilled? Not that there's anything particularly bad with them but I just find side pullers advantageous in many ways. Anyway, yes your buddy is correct, they are mainly used with hollows but you can, of course, use them with solids. Just be aware that they wear a lot more than hollows when used in conjunction with a puller, of whatever description. This leads onto your last question nicely. Personally I change my solids after every season. They are very cheap and I don't see the point in not doing so. I have been caught out before with solids breaking on fish. They wear out pretty quickly on the stress areas. Where your Stonfo, Dacron connector or whatever method you use to connect your elastic to your rig. The same type of wear will occur with your pulla bungs, even more rapidly. That's why hollows and side pullers are so popular, far less wear. I renew my hollows roughly every couple of seasons, depending on usage. The dearer Hydro's easily last a few seasons. Dearer initially but not necessarily so in the long run. Most of my top kits are fitted with Hydro's and side pullers. I just find them the best combination.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I use pulla bungs with all my top kits hollow or solid.
I use them because my pole is like me (getting on a bit) so it is not drilled for side pulla's.
I have had no problems at all with them.
The lowest strength elastic i have in at the moment is a double 5 so i can't speak for really thin solids.
I cannot see any reason for not using them with solid elastics,as has already been said just keep an eye for wear and tear.

Last edited:

antiquea

Reaction score
I am actually going to fit my last top kit with an 18-20 middy solid for direct snag/margin fishing.
Can't see the need for a pulla bung for this type of strong elastic.

My margin is an old Colmic, so not drilled for side bungs.

sagalout

Reaction score
Be aware what middy calls 20 ain't what another firm will call a 20, there is no standard, a better standard is the diameter, if I am wanting to hook and hold because of snags I use a solid 2.3mm, then there is no need for a puller, I often use a puller with a 1.8 or less because it is easier to net the fishes.

I don't use hollows at all, I think they stretch far to much and you have now control and finally they cost a fortune. I was using a solid 8 this morning in a snag free area up in the water and landed carp up to 8lb (after a coffee) and had great fun with large roach and F1s.

I have pullers in all my top kits because all my top kits have pullers. I fit pullers to them all so I can fit any elastic to any any top kit. I have noticed that the top anglers with the high end poles use puller bungs in match kits and side pullers in power kits. Maybe the top end match kits aren't wrapped for a side puller.

antiquea

Reaction score
I have had some really big carp on a size 6 elastic. I really do not enjoy it though as the fight just goes on, and on, and on......
What brand elastic do you use for solids?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have had some really big carp on a size 6 elastic. I really do not enjoy it though as the fight just goes on, and on, and on......

How big a carp on a size 6 elastic, ?? I have accidently caught them around 7lb on size 6 elastic, I have been stood up holding a top 6 of my pole in the air trying to control it, it has taken around 5 minutes or so to get it within netting range, It is not something you want to do on a regular basis. Solid elastics are preston slip, and hollow elastics are preston hollo and dura hollo.

antiquea

Reaction score
Accidentally caught a 14lb fish on a 4-6 hollow. Had to follow it around the swim for about 15 mins with the pole at full length - otherwise the elastic would have bottomed out.
Also had a slightly smaller one on the same elastic. It went for the margin snags and swam right into my net. Bonus!

Seemed very angry/lively!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Be aware what middy calls 20 ain't what another firm will call a 20, there is no standard, a better standard is the diameter, if I am wanting to hook and hold because of snags I use a solid 2.3mm, then there is no need for a puller, I often use a puller with a 1.8 or less because it is easier to net the fishes.

I don't use hollows at all, I think they stretch far to much and you have now control and finally they cost a fortune. I was using a solid 8 this morning in a snag free area up in the water and landed carp up to 8lb (after a coffee) and had great fun with large roach and F1s.

I have pullers in all my top kits because all my top kits have pullers. I fit pullers to them all so I can fit any elastic to any any top kit. I have noticed that the top anglers with the high end poles use puller bungs in match kits and side pullers in power kits. Maybe the top end match kits aren't wrapped for a side puller.

My Daiwa has side pullers in power kits, the twin hole kits that Daiwa use, I only use one of the holes. the match kits have the number one section removed and have a double number 6 through one kit, and a 6-8 through the other set soft, I don't use puller bungs, I would be apprehensive of the tube splitting the base of my section.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I am actually going to fit my last top kit with an 18-20 middy solid for direct snag/margin fishing.
Can't see the need for a pulla bung for this type of strong elastic.

My margin is an old Colmic, so not drilled for side bungs.

I would use a pure latex for that, I have found it performs better than coloured elastics, and also check what rating your pole is, if it is old even though a margin pole it may be only rated 14/16

fishcatcher60

Reaction score

Preston original slip but only using the double elastic at the moment.
I believe they have stopped making it though.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I picked a couple of spools up when I heard it was being stopped, its easy to do your own though,
one or two round here are using triple number 3 for F1's, acts like a normal number 3 for small fish then
powers up when an F1 takes the bait. all my hollow elastics are with dacron connectors, my match kit elastics
are with stonfo connectors,

sagalout

Reaction score
I use Nick Gilbert elastics, cheap and very good. I used to use double 5, 6 and 8 a lot but have had trouble with the retraction so have gone back to using a single of comparable strength, e.g if a 6 elastic has a diameter of 1.0mm then it's area doubled is 1.57mm and the nearest to that is a 10 diameter 1.2mm and area 1.54mm. This works well for me.

antiquea

Reaction score
Most of the fish I target with the pole will be below 6lb, though I just need that heavy elastic for fishing close to snags.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Accidentally caught a 14lb fish on a 4-6 hollow. Had to follow it around the swim for about 15 mins with the pole at full length - otherwise the elastic would have bottomed out.
Also had a slightly smaller one on the same elastic. It went for the margin snags and swam right into my net. Bonus!

Seemed very angry/lively!
Don't be offended by this post, I am trying to get my head around how a 4-6 hollow elastic never bottomed out
with a 14lb carp on the end,how long was your pole 30 metres? the stretch factor of some hollows is phenomenal, so
assuming it was through a power kit at an average length of 2.6 metres, that elastic would go for at least 30 metres before bottoming out then if your tackle was balanced to the elastic, in all probability your line would snap,
the reason I say this is because I hit a carp on Prestons 11 hollo , this was through a power top 2, again around 2.6 metre in length, I was fishing 16 metres to an island, it powered of down the pool and the elastic was around 20 metres before I got snagged and lost it,

mikench

Reaction score
Reading all this made me wonder if I was on the wrong site!:)

Pole fishing just sounds so complicated and certainly looks it in practice!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Mike, its not the be all and end all as some think, the venue I am on in a couple of weeks is an open water pool with
the islands out of pole range, yet 2/3rds of the anglers I will be fishing against the pole will be their first choice.
they will sit there fishing anything from a top kit upto 16 metres. I am taking 2 feeder rods, a pellet waggler rod and a
13' waggler rod and margin pole if required, the idea of two feeder rods is that if I catch on the feeder, I land the fish and as its in the net across my knee, I cast the other feeder rod out to same place, Place fish in keepnet, bait method feeder up ready to go again after next fish,

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Reading all this made me wonder if I was on the wrong site!:)

Pole fishing just sounds so complicated and certainly looks it in practice!

It's the same as any other method of fishing it's as complicated as you want to make it.
I think we have so many options these days to learn about methods of fishing than ever with you tube,various magazines,forums etc that we can sometimes be swamped with information.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
last year when I went what you would call pleasure fishing, all I took was either a feeder rod or a float rod,
seatbox with reel and baitbox , landing net and handle,the pole was left in tackle shed.In effect back to basics, And I really enjoyed it,
no loading the car up with mountains of gear, and spending ages setting up and packing up.
Must do it more often

sagalout

Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I have gone to a margin pole, the pole and three top kits fit in one tube, a bacon box of pole rigs, that's all folks. Okay you can add all sorts of paraphernalia to that but because the pole is short and cheap you don't have to. I always have a ready made feeder and pellet waggler with me so I have all bases covered with the minimum of gear.