2 nets?

Saxa

Reaction score
Hi guys, back again for more advice. After twenty years away from fishing I've started to get my gear together with the addition of a few new purchases. I have just brought a new carryall complete with 2 keep nets and a landing net, which im really pleased with. Now my question is when I start fishing again will I need to use both nets, or go the old way with just one. :eek:mg:

Cheers Phil.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are going for a pleasure session then one net is sufficient, although some venues still requre the use of two nets.

The two net concept was brought out for matches where local venue rules usually request that carp are kept in a separate net to "silver" fish.

iain t

Reaction score
Word of warning. Make sure your allowed to them as some clubs only let keepnets to be used in matches. Most rivers you will be OK.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Banned on all our club waters due to a KHV infected Lake in the area.

daniel121

Reaction score
I always use two nets if I'm on a water where I'm going to catch a variety of size fish or if I'm going to catch a large weight 40lb enough for me to lift nowadays thank you.

My rule is simple, one net for small vulnerable fish under 12oz one for large hardly fish over 12oz.

If I'm going to catch them, then it's my responsibility to keep them as safe as I can

metalmicky1944

Reaction score
My club has had a keep net ban now for over a year despite there being no KHV problems, it's initiated by the carp angling fraternity in the club of which there are a large number who look down their noses at the the older members like myself who still enjoy a days fishing for silver fish in our twilight years, weighing our days catch, photographing them and returning then unharmed back to the water to fight another day.
The catch and return policy regarding silver fish seems to be detrimental to the swim, dispersing the shoal one has built up by loose feeding and the number of fish caught and bites bears testament to this.
We think we have come up with a way round this annoying problem, carp anglers use super sized triangular shaped landing nets that are well over one meter deep with a surface area the equivalent to a lot of pleasure anglers keep nets, that are permitted on our waters providing they are dried out properly after a days fishing. They are relatively inexpensive and strategically positioned attached to a short landing net handle in ones peg these large nets will comfortably hold quite a number of silver fish and act as a substitute keep / landing net for silver fish and not be a KHV hazard.
Do's anyone have any thoughts or can see any faults in our plan :wh

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A keepnet is a minimum of 2.5 metres deep, on a warm day the fish in your carp landing net can be exposed to the sun,
If I am in a match I always ensure my nets are staked out to give them maximum water coverage,
Also what ever method you use, you are still retaining fish, which you now say is against club rules.
if you have any canal stretches on your club card see if the committee will come to a compromise, allow keepnets on the canals where there is less chance of catching carp.

thecrow

Reaction score
Do's anyone have any thoughts or can see any faults in our plan

I can foresee a problem with the plan as you will still be retaining fish in a net, "keeping them" only way to find out imo is to ask the club committee or get enough like minded anglers together and go to the clubs AGM to try to get the rule changed maybe offering a compromise such as the length of time fish can be retained in a net or not putting carp into a net as I would imagine that it was that action that prompted the carp anglers to initiate the rule change.

metalmicky1944

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice the ban was to stop the virus being spread to our still water venues by club carp anglers, us "old uns" don't fish for them and if one is hungry enough to take a single red maggot on an 18 hook he or she doesn't stay attached to the line for very long before waving a fin and swimming away.
I agree with the "Sunny Day" comment but some of the carp landing nets these days are far bigger than the keep nets of the 50's and the fish never came to any ham way back then, 4 meter keep nets came in with so called "Match Anglers" HOOK a DUCK" fishing commercial fisheries for F1's which are the cause of the problem.

Tight Lines

Mike :eek:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Mike, a lot of commercials allow 2.5 metre keepnets in matches, A 4 metre would be way to large to stake out,
I have never seen a 4 metre one used around here apart from on deep water swims such as a quarry,
A good wash out of any type of net, be it a landing net or keepnet, after a session and then left to dry naturally will kill off
anything on them, and lifting them out as soon as you get to a venue but not putting them in the water straight away is added security, also make sure net bag is wwashed out as well and left to dry, some venues now ban the use of stink bags because of not being washed out, Point the above out to the committee and maybe you will be able to use nets again. My clubs allow them on canals and rivers but not on other waters unless in a match.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I don't wash my net bag but turn it inside out and hang it up on the line with the rest. The problem with turning it inside out is that it's damaging the waterproof coating inside. It's a Middy match just for my landing net, I don't use a keep net. Is there something I could just pour in and shake about that would kill anything off without damaging the bag? I presume bleach would do but that might damage the bag as well.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I don't wash my net bag but turn it inside out and hang it up on the line with the rest. The problem with turning it inside out is that it's damaging the waterproof coating inside. It's a Middy match just for my landing net, I don't use a keep net. Is there something I could just pour in and shake about that would kill anything off without damaging the bag? I presume bleach would do but that might damage the bag as well.

Gordon normal tap water will do it, you could put a drop of Milton or other similar solution in as you rinse it out,
no need to turn inside out, just hang it upside down to drain and dry, That's all I do with my Shimano eva bag.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They are relatively inexpensive and strategically positioned attached to a short landing net handle in ones peg these large nets will comfortably hold quite a number of silver fish and act as a substitute keep / landing net for silver fish and not be a KHV hazard.
Do's anyone have any thoughts or can see any faults in our plan :wh

Thread resurrection!

Yes, there is an overwhelming flaw in your plan. I’ve got to know quite a bit about KHV as one of my local waters is infected and most probably will remain to be for many years to come as the owner can’t or won’t take the necessary drastic measures to eliminate the deadly virus.

KHV is indiscriminate, doesn’t matter what type of net you use, keepnet, landing net even a stickleback net, all are capable of transmitting the disease between waters. If your venues have dip tanks then you should be ok and as an extra measure fully dry your nets after each use.

A member of my club has just been banned for life for ignoring the dip tank, owners have valuable stock to protect and take this very seriously.