Canal Bream

nottskev

Reaction score
Canal fans - and bream fans, too - might like this video by James Robbins. He barely mentions the Cadence brand he endorses, by the way. He makes it all look inspiringly simple. (Sent you link by email, Graham)

YouTube

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It's always easy when the fish are in front of you..
Can't understand why he tries to land them on his top 4 but holds it on the 3 section? it looks really awkward and an open invitation to a cyclist to hit it..

thecrow

Reaction score
(Sent you link by email, Graham)

Thanks Kev, I have watched it and to be honest its not something I can see myself doing, I understand that control of the end tackle and feeding are both better at times but the way I am I need to fish with a rod in a rest :)

Nice catch though.

mikench

Reaction score
I enjoyed that Kev! I like James Robbins but pole fishing looks so cumbersome I couldn't cope with it in a confined space and in windy conditions!

nottskev

Reaction score
It's always easy when the fish are in front of you..
Can't understand why he tries to land them on his top 4 but holds it on the 3 section? it looks really awkward and an open invitation to a cyclist to hit it..

Yes I've watched him with "the fish in front of him" on the Ribble, the Wye, the Calder, the Avon, the Severn, the Swale........ He's always fishing these easy places :)

thecrow

Reaction score
Yes I've watched him with "the fish in front of him" on the Ribble, the Wye, the Calder, the Avon, the Severn, the Swale........ He's always fishing these easy places :)

Kev there have been lots of times in the past when a swim that an angler is going to fish while a video is being made has been prebaited for a while before the angler fished there, I have even known swims to be roped off for 2 weeks before the angler fished there, not saying that's what happened here but its worth bearing in mind when any well known angler is being filmed.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have watched most of his videos and he is indeed an accomplished angler. However, like all these presenters you never see them blank...

nottskev

Reaction score
Kev there have been lots of times in the past when a swim that an angler is going to fish while a video is being made has been prebaited for a while before the angler fished there, I have even known swims to be roped off for 2 weeks before the angler fished there, not saying that's what happened here but its worth bearing in mind when any well known angler is being filmed.

Roping off the Droitwich canal towpath? I think it more likely that he picked his swim and methods based on up to the minute info from mates on the match angling grapevine. He's generally - in fact in all cases I've seen - on "public" waters where keeping people off the peg, and prepping it are ....well, unlikely. I've seen cases where journalists suggest anglers on a feature pool their catches to give one a better net, but I see no reason to think Mr Robbins "cheats" beyond the legitimate business of being on a good grapevine; he looks a convincingly good angler who can catch fish without cynical means. And even with fish in front of you, we can still all mess it up, especially under the scrutiny of a video camera, so I'm happy to give him credit.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
That's true Peter, Even Matt Hayes and Mick Brown on the Greater Rod Race always managed a couple of fish to get them to the next venue, Was it a Cadence pole that James Robbins used in the video, ? they are supposed to be bringing a range of poles and whips out.

thecrow

Reaction score
Roping off the Droitwich canal towpath? I think it more likely that he picked his swim and methods based on up to the minute info from mates on the match angling grapevine. He's generally - in fact in all cases I've seen - on "public" waters where keeping people off the peg, and prepping it are ....well, unlikely. I've seen cases where journalists suggest anglers on a feature pool their catches to give one a better net, but I see no reason to think Mr Robbins "cheats" beyond the legitimate business of being on a good grapevine; he looks a convincingly good angler who can catch fish without cynical means. And even with fish in front of you, we can still all mess it up, especially under the scrutiny of a video camera, so I'm happy to give him credit.

I did say that I wasn't saying that this was the case in this instance but it has gone on in the past, I have seen it happen on both rivers and still waters, the last ones I saw involved Matt Hayes another was Martin Bowler, he is obviously a good angler or he wouldn't be sponsored, I have yet to see a video of someone blanking and often wonder how many have to be filmed to show the desired result.

nottskev

Reaction score
I have yet to see a video of someone blanking

There's a first time for everything :)

net.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
I noticed that Alan and thought James was very patient with his dog! I can barely cope with fishing let alone keep an eye on a dog!