The use of really light (actioned) rods.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Blimey Graham, you read my mind bud :).

nottskev

Reaction score
Does the size and shape of the reel foot have anything to do with whether rings hold it securely or not?

I think it can - most fixed spools have quite chunky feet, but I've had a couple of pins that I couldn't pair with certain rods because their feet were flatter and slimmer. The Stanton I have is one of them - I have to use a screw seat.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Good to see you back Stuart! I hope you are well and will stick around!!!:)

cheers mikench, most of the time i'm on me groups on FBook, if yer on it look for stuart whiting and same profile pic :cool:

hope yer keeping well mate,

to keep on track what rods are yer currently using, any preferences, i'm a big fanatic of Drennan, Silstar and Normark of the 80's - 90's, also love me original glass Shakespear wand :rockon:

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Have been adding to my Hardy rods, bought a Tricast John Allerton 13' float rod for a good price and bought a Conquest pin! I looked at the Darent Valley 8' but bought a Browning 8' wand instead! It works really well for the margins and narrow snake lakes( my current favourite until the next one). I do like the light action on light lines and small hooks! All part of the different aspects of fishing!:) All the best Stuart!

It's the wife's birthday today so no fishing! I see it's yours tomorrow so let me be the first to wish you a happy birthday and a great day! I hope work doesn't interfere too much!:thumbs::fish2::party::thumbup::congratulatory::cheer2:

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Have been adding to my Hardy rods, bought a Tricast John Allerton 13' float rod for a good price and bought a Conquest pin! I looked at the Darent Valley 8' but bought a Browning 8' wand instead! It works really well for the margins and narrow snake lakes( my current favourite until the next one). I do like the light action on light lines and small hooks! All part of the different aspects of fishing!:) All the best Stuart!

It's the wife's birthday today so no fishing! I see it's yours tomorrow so let me be the first to wish you a happy birthday and a great day! I hope work doesn't interfere too much!:thumbs::fish2::party::thumbup::congratulatory::cheer2:

Cheers Mike, Na mate not working tomorrow, need to get meself a new ipad and of course not forgetting a few more fishing bits and pieces, I think " The Tackle Box " may come to mind as it's only down the rd from me, probably walk out yet with another light actioned rod :lol:

B

binka

Good to see you back Stuart! I hope you are well and will stick around!!!:)

At the risk of slight diversion to the thread I echo that Mike.

I'm not on FB Stuart so I hope you stick around mate.

iain t

Reaction score
I've advocated light fishing for years but always got knocked back, mainly from the chaps that were large specimen hunters. The fun you
can have with light lines and rods is unequalled. For the last few years, i searched for the smallest fish i could catch on the lighter gear. The pinnacle came when i caught a small Stickleback. The first one I've seen and caught since i was a kid, 50 odd years ago. Now in the closed season am starting to focus the same strategy to stillwaters with the Roach and Rudd. Tiny hooks(22) that i can just about make out with my old eyes with the lightest line i can get away with. For this am using a very old Daiwa Graphite Rod with a tip so soft that a Bee can bend.
So those who laugh at us with our light lines and bendy rods, i say give it a try then you will find out why we get so much enjoyment we have catching those little fish that live in our rivers, canal and stillwaters

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
cheers mikench, most of the time i'm on me groups on FBook, if yer on it look for stuart whiting and same profile pic :cool:

hope yer keeping well mate,

to keep on track what rods are yer currently using, any preferences, i'm a big fanatic of Drennan, Silstar and Normark of the 80's - 90's, also love me original glass Shakespear wand :rockon:

A man after my own heart, I was using a silstar Kevlar diatex wand on a commercial yesterday , put a heavier tip in it, no fish, but I have used it before on commies for F1s and stockie carp

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I had the shaky wand some years ago, sold it and bought a Daiwa canal wand, brilliant little rod, must be around 30 years old,
the silstar multi tip Kevlar wand is now used on commercials, ahead of its time, look how many manufacturers are bringing out
short bomb/feeder rods out for commercials, I gave some silstar waggler rods to charity, I have a drennan crystallite that will
get some use soon, along with an old 12' Daiwa super sensor rod, Has anyone noticed how the older Daiwa rods were made in the UK even the mid priced ones around 25 -30 year ago ? now its the high end rods and poles that are made in the UK, the lower priced ones are made abroad. I recently acquired a modern Shakespeare agility wand, I will see how it compares to the original one I sold at a future date.

Another Dave

Reaction score
really pucka little 8ft rods these are, i've got one of these and use it all of the time for me roach fishing on small rivers and chalk streams etc and also a rod that don't break the bank :yo:

Thanks, i'm very excited as i've ordered one. My absolute favourite swim is a total parrotcage, last season we were using a really light 5'6" lure rod but i figured i can just about waggle an 8ft rod if i'm careful and the extra reach will make a big difference.

Here's a pic from last year
hkkOy8u.jpg

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
So having just asked my local tackle shop to get me in a 11' Matchpro Ultralight I am now totally confused with this new rod posted by Sam!!
Not too late to change but which one would suit my roach fishing mania better? Cost is not an issue but do we have a price yet as it is new to the market and is it readily available? (I will check as best I can, though)

Line range seems perfect as does the action SO which 'might' be the better choice? I have to throw myself open to opinion which, unless I miss my guess, really comes down to you, Sam............

I've followed your guidance in the past and it's always been sound- no pressure, then!!

Any guidance appreciated.

Tony

sam vimes

Reaction score
Tony, I've yet to see the new Acolyte in the flesh, so can't really say much. I only got wind of it yesterday, from one of the plethora of tackle shop emails I get. Unlike the 17', which was talked about for many months before release, I never heard a whisper about these new short Acolyte Ultras.

If it stays true to the longer Acolyte Ultras, it'll be lighter (in weight) and faster actioned than the Matchpro Ultralight. I'd primarily want it for my small river/beck trotting as I value a faster action for trotting. However, the reality (for me) is that it'll probably render the Matchpro redundant when it gets used for small stillwater roach fishing too.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tony, I've yet to see the new Acolyte in the flesh, so can't really say much. I only got wind of it yesterday, from one of the plethora of tackle shop emails I get. Unlike the 17', which was talked about for many months before release, I never heard a whisper about these new short Acolyte Ultras.

If it stays true to the longer Acolyte Ultras, it'll be lighter (in weight) and faster actioned than the Matchpro Ultralight. I'd primarily want it for my small river/beck trotting as I value a faster action for trotting. However, the reality (for me) is that it'll probably render the Matchpro redundant when it gets used for small stillwater roach fishing too.

According to the link the rod weighs 128grms......the 11ft carp waggler weighs the same?
I'd imagine if you put the two rods side by side you be hard pressed to tell a difference between them.
Maybe putting the new 11ft ultra next to the 11ft carp waggler is like comparing the 13ft ultra to the 13ft plus? If thats the case then id go for the carp waggler as I did have one and it was perfect for small stuff.
I have the 12ft carp waggler now and again ots spot on for silvers also.
I get the feeling that drennan are doing some milking!

sam vimes

Reaction score
According to the link the rod weighs 128grms......the 11ft carp waggler weighs the same?
I'd imagine if you put the two rods side by side you be hard pressed to tell a difference between them.
Maybe putting the new 11ft ultra next to the 11ft carp waggler is like comparing the 13ft ultra to the 13ft plus? If thats the case then id go for the carp waggler as I did have one and it was perfect for small stuff.
I have the 12ft carp waggler now and again ots spot on for silvers also.
I get the feeling that drennan are doing some milking!

Maybe, but I've never been entirely convinced by the 11' Acolyte Carp Waggler for my needs. As far as I know, the Carp Waggler has higher line ratings, whether it's just a graphics change, who knows. Without getting them side by side, it's impossible to say. I have come across the odd suggestion that the Carp Waggler Acolytes were originally going to be called Acolyte Pluses though. For that reason, I do suspect that the difference between the new Acolyte Ultra Float 11/12' and the Acolyte Carp Waggler 11/12' will be similar to the differences between a 13' Acolyte Ultra and a 13' Acolyte Plus. For most of my river fishing, the Ultra is the better choice.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe, but I've never been entirely convinced by the 11' Acolyte Carp Waggler for my needs. As far as I know, the Carp Waggler has higher line ratings, whether it's just a graphics change, who knows. Without getting them side by side, it's impossible to say.

Yeah, you would need to put them side by side. But if theyre both 11ft long and weigh the same it sounds a little odd ?
If I where considering buying one then I would have to see them side by side and have a waggle of them before parting with my coin. As I said, it sort of reminds me of the other accy rods in the plus and ultras.