The use of really light (actioned) rods.

steve2

Reaction score
I know it’s down to personal choice but why would anyone want 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17ft length rods of the same model. Why won’t a 12ft do the same job as an 11 or 13 ft model?
Are Drennan and other rod builders having a laugh at your expense.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know it’s down to personal choice but why would anyone want 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17ft length rods of the same model. Why won’t a 12ft do the same job as an 11 or 13 ft model?
Are Drennan and other rod builders having a laugh at your expense.

I wouldn't want, and don't have, every length. I see the value in rods of different lengths, but not to the extent of having a rod at every length from 11 to 17'. My preference is to have choices of float rods at 11, 13, 15 and 17'. I've no interest in the inbetweeners at all. I don't own a single 12' float rod and only one 14'er. 13' is my default compromise float rod length and I find that just a foot more or less is nether here nor there. It's simply the Goldilocks effect, I want rods that are just right, for a given scenario, not too short or too long. For those that don't want to buy many rods, I can understand that they will compromise with one or maybe two different length rods. I don't want to, or have to, compromise. My compromises come in different areas of my life, not fishing gear (or music/hi-fi).

I use 11' rods on small rivers/becks and small stillwaters with encroaching trees. 13, 15 and 17' rods would be a hinderance or utterly unusable on such venues.
13' is my compromise default choice. I'll use them for waggler fishing on rivers and stillwater work.
15'ers come into play on deeper stillwaters and for river trotting. I reckon that I probably use 15' rods more than any other length, but the venues I fish play a significant part in that.
17'ers are used for trotting when conditions are unfavourable and also on very deep stillwaters. I still can't abide fishing slider floats.
I've not yet found a rod longer than 17' that I'd be happy to use, or I'd probably have a 19/20' rod.

Naturally, I don't believe that anyone is having a laugh at my expense, other than some other anglers that will never get it. Many anglers don't fish especially varied venues these days. If I were one of them, I doubt I'd have more than a couple of different float rods. If I were a commie angler, I doubt I'd bother having a rod greater than 12' long. My gear gets used, a lot. I don't buy stuff for the just in case scenario. If I didn't fish venues that make such gear useful, I wouldn't buy for the sake of it. I don't like anyone in the tackle trade enough to just give them my money.

Last edited:

rob48

Reaction score
If these Rive R-Waggler rods become available again they're well worth looking at.

Rive R-Waggler Rod | Angling Direct

I bought one of the "light" versions last year and after a day catching gravel-pit roach it occured to me on the drive home that I hadn't bumped or dropped a single fish. Next time out with it I was rather more neavy-handed than usual but still the rod forgave my deliberate force as well as the efforts of the roach, such that I ordered a second as soon as I got home, which turned out to be the last in stock.
The rods are excellent for general silvers fishing, especially lightly shotted traditional cane sticks or small wagglers when the fish are up in the water. I was tempted to buy a medium version but they had all gone by then.

rob48

Reaction score
double posting deleted

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to have had a waggle with a 12ft Acolyte Carp Waggler and a 12ft Acolyte Ultra and can say the Ultra is noticeably better balanced and softer

Richox12

Reaction score
I know it’s down to personal choice but why would anyone want 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17ft length rods of the same model.Are Drennan and other rod builders having a laugh at your expense.

In a nutshell, no. They, like others, are catering to demand. Different people want different things. It's the same with anything.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am lucky enough to have had a waggle with a 12ft Acolyte Carp Waggler and a 12ft Acolyte Ultra and can say the Ultra is noticeably better balanced and softer

Would you say the same about the ultra and the plus in the longer rods.
Did you have a reel on the rods when you did your balance test?
Have you used any of the rods or just picked them up in the shop?

swizzle

Reaction score
Have you waggled the 11 foot Acolyte? I bumped into a Drennan rep in my local the other day. It's a beautiful rod. I was thinking of buying a shorter float rod for a particular stream and they have the 11ft Ultralight on sale for £64.99. The Acolyte is unbelievably light and far more tippy than the matchpro. I think the Acolyte was £159 from memory.

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
Tigger, on those I’ve played with/waggled – yes. I’d say the new shorter 12ft Ultra’s are in family. I haven’t put a reel on - I’ve not fished with one - and with a relevant reel I’m not sure the difference in balance would be as discernible as the rods are so light and a reel will weigh significantly more anyway. But the Ultra is noticeably softer. So if they suit anyone it purely depends on what they want them for. If I wanted a new 12ft rod for silvers and light line work they would be ideal, especially with a closed face reel and one handed casting etc.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger, on those I’ve played with/waggled – yes. I’d say the new shorter 12ft Ultra’s are in family. I haven’t put a reel on - I’ve not fished with one - and with a relevant reel I’m not sure the difference in balance would be as discernible as the rods are so light and a reel will weigh significantly more anyway. But the Ultra is noticeably softer. So if they suit anyone it purely depends on what they want them for. If I wanted a new 12ft rod for silvers and light line work they would be ideal, especially with a closed face reel and one handed casting etc.

I've used both the 11ft and 12ft carp wagglers but haven't used the new 11 and 12ft ultras.
In all honesty I can't see what benefit a softer version of the carp waggler would give as the carp wagglers are very forgiving anyhow and in no way a powerfull rod, well, not imo anyhow.
When using them on small rivers and catching dace etc the action was fine and definately didn't cause me to loose any fish.
Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a collection of rods so i'm not slating anyone for buying them, i'm just saying I don't think they're a necesity.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't see what benefit a softer version of the carp waggler would give

When you see no point in the Ultras compared to the Pluses, surely this is no surprise? The fact is that we don't all fish the same places, fish the same way or want the same things from a rod. I tend to agree that a Plus makes for a better all round rod for those that only want one rod. However, If I could only choose one, it would likely be an Ultra.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Having now had a good play with the 11' Matchpro Ultralight, 11' Acolyte Ultra Float and 11' Acolyte Carp Waggler, I can only concur with Richox. Despite what Drennan's stated weights are, the 11' Ultra does feel slightly lighter than the 11' Carp Waggler, it's also thinner. The balance point, with or without a reel (I took my own), is slightly further back on the Ultra. My impression is that the differences are pretty much in line with the differences between Acolyte Ultras and Pluses elsewhere in the Acolyte float rod range. If the Carp Waggler were labelled as an Acolyte Plus, I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid. The differences in weight and diameter are fractional, so the choice should come down to whether an individual prefers the lighter or heavier action. I'm not convinced that the weights Drennan state are accurate, though I'd concede that the balance being slightly further forward on the Carp Waggler is likely to make it feel a little heavier, even if it's not.

The differences between the 11' Acolyte Ultra Float and the 11' Matchpro Ultralight are a bit more obvious. Both the weight and diameter differences are easily distinguishable. However, being short rods, the difference is never going to cause anyone a problem. The Matchpro still isn't thick and heavy. The action of the Acolyte is faster and tip speed quicker.

daniel121

Reaction score
Hope you are happy with your new toy.

In short no matter what your fishing for the softer the rod the less fish you will lose. Its a balancing act like everything else on fishing :)

dicky123

Reaction score
:mad::mad::mad: Its starting again.

Most of my fishing for many years looking for larger fish but as the years have worn on I now fish for whatever comes along, this has necessitated me using lighter gear than I ever have before, even my roach fishing was with avons as I needed to be able to fish a feeder for them.

The most powerful (according to test curve which I know is a poor way to compare) rods I now own are 1.75 Barbel rods, there was a time when they would have been the least powerful so yes I am now using much lighter tackle than I used to.

Sam.
The sentiments are mine exactly. Fished for large fish all my life, getting older and time is passing. Really don't have the time to sit blanking after those big fish anymore, taking all that gear? I'm now trying river fishing again with the Trent on my doorstep, really enjoy the little Roach Perch and Dace that come along. It's why I'm buying the rod we spoke about to get more enjoyment from those smaller fish. Come evening and the bigger guns come out for a few hours.

We may not agree about everything but we both have a similar mindset when it comes to our current fishing. Maybe it's an age thing?

Rich.

mikench

Reaction score
I have no desire to hijack this thread which I believe may have run its course( no pun intended)! As I listened to the unfolding news on the radio about the Thailand situation I decided to weigh a few of my rods out of interest. I am most impressed by the low weight of the Acolytes in 13 and 14' and they clearly are a benchmark!

I didn't bother with my feeder rods bar one or the avons as they are often on a rest for most of the time( well mine are) so weight is not material. I will refer to grammes and my figures are approximate having used Dualit kitchen scales!

1. My Drennen 10' float is 190g
2. My Tricast 13' John Allerton is 158g.
3. My Shakey Mach 111 ext lite 13' is 202g with the short but heavy butt piece in place but only 182g without!
4. My Hardy Marksman Supero 14' is 198g

The 13 ft Acolyte is 158g I believe so on paper quite a bit lighter which may be noticeable if held in the hand for several hours! However I consider all the above rods perfectly manageable and I can hold the Tricast and Shakey for significant periods!

I weighed one feeder rod namely the 8' Browning feeder which is 130g and thus it feels very light but being short it may just be a perception! The first rod I bought namely a 12' Avon of dubious heritage and cheap is over 350g! Less is more !!!

A light float rod is a joy but a few, even a dozen grammes are neither here nor there , particularly when the reels vary in weight so much! It's the overall balance and weight which matters imho!

sam vimes

Reaction score
A light float rod is a joy but a few, even a dozen grammes are neither here nor there , particularly when the reels vary in weight so much! It's the overall balance and weight which matters imho!

I suspect that you are confusing a light action with light weight. I started the thread based on light actions, definitely not weight. You can have a light action in a ridiculously heavy rod. Light actions and light weight are not inextricably linked. I'd also suggest that weight, especially in rods of less than 13', isn't really the biggest deal in the world. It's pretty damned hard to make a sub 13' rod that's too weighty. However, they can occasionally get the balance very wrong so that a relatively light rod can feel quite heavy. Just about any modern 10' rod will feel like a wand in hand, even when it turns out to be rather portly on the scales.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'd consider your Shakespeare to be a relatively heavy rod with a light action. However, I know from handling them that they are acceptable enough in use. If the weight is proportional, I wouldn't touch the 15/16' Mach 3 rods with a bargepole.

Reaction score
Lighter action rods are a must if you target small fish,or soft mouthed species like skimmers,when match fishing,especially team fishing,different scenarios have to be catered for,the science of it hasn't changed,just the venues,or the way we fish have.