Side Pulla Systems.

bracket

Reaction score
I had a go with a friend's pole the other day, fitted with a side pulla system. Quite impressive. I'm considering fitting one myself and wondered if anyone has hands on experience of fitting and could recommend the best system to use. I have been looking at PI and Vespe initially. Pete.

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
2 things. Make sure your kit is reinforced locally. And make sure your kit (ALL sections not just the one you drill etc) are of a suitably low grade and strong enough to be used with a puller otherwise you may well find several pieces of exploded carbon on the bank

sagalout

Reaction score
The PI one needs a 10mm hole which seems like a big hole. The vespe (note vespE not vespA spit spit spit) do 7.5 and 6mm I think, the map are 7mm hole.

By far the nicest to use are the wheeled systems like maver (I have used) and drennan (not used but it is the same principal), the preston is wheeled but again I have not used it.

The map ones work I have done 8 top kits with them recently, very simple. The vespe has good comments on another forum.

Only put one in a reinforced area (sorry if I am being condescending, that means I talk down to people, but I thought it might be worth mentioning), assuming you are going for one that requires a round hole, don't know how you would do a slot :
Put a wrap of masking tape on the reinforced area;
Mark the centre of the hole with a pencil;
Put a slim piece of wood up the of the pole so it sits under the area to be drilled, this will safe any nasty accidents to the opposite side;
Use a 2mm drill bit (drill bits should be sharp) and a battery drill to slowly and gently drill through (don't push let the drill do the work);
Incrementally increase the hole size with larger drills (I typically go up 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 6 for a 7mm hole);
Take the scrap of wood out now :wh;
Using a strip 240 grit garnet paper wrapped round a drill bit shank, twist into the hole thus enlarging it gently and this will give a very clean and circular finish (sometime the drilling can leave the hole not quite round);
Increase either the drill bit size or the number of 240 grip wraps testing often til you get a perfect fit;
For the map ones I super glue them in;
Job done!

NOTE WELL : apparently failure to remove the strip of wood at the correct time can allow it to slide up into the section, be forgotten about, and after the side puller has been glued into place it is impossible to remove :doh:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Pete, PI do a drill and a tapered grindstone for doing topkits, A tackle shop should charge you around £10-15 to do it, that includes the overwrap and the price of whatever fitment you use, if no overwrap is required some will do it for the price of
the fitment, If you are wary doing it yourself, I have the Daiwa interlastic kits and I am thinking of taking the original fitting out and replacing with the map one, I don't fancy the roller puller that PI use only for the reason its a 10mm hole compared to 6 or 7 mm.

bracket

Reaction score
I opted for the Vespe and Map systems in the end. I have fitted the Vespe bush to one of my Diawa power top two's. I used the Vespe 6mm kit, which comes complete with a reinforcing bush that is around 16.5mm ID, which settles nicely about a foot from the bottom end of the top two. Drilled it 2mm as a pilot, then opened it up to 6mm. The bush is a simple push fit, as is the white tube. Took me around 3 minutes to do it, but I do have the advantage of a multi speed pillar drill.

View attachment 4704

I want to do a couple of my Maver top twos next. These are a bigger diameter than the Diawa, the optimum position being at about 17mm to 18mm . As yet I cannot find a supplier for that size of reinforcement bush, anyone able to help? otherwise I will have to cobble one up. Pete.

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
I have an old pole, I don't wish to cut its life down by adding side pullers, I use pull bungs does me fine.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Like I mentioned, my pole has the Daiwa Interlastic topkits, the topkits came with the pole, the other two topkits I got with
were match kits that did not have the side puller option. I removed the number one for bigger elastics, and fitted a standard
"ladder"bung, I Bought a Daiwa yank n bank pole last year of someone who had fitted pull bungs, I noticed even though the stem had been shortened, there was still some bend in it when the elastic was pulled from it, I was changing them to standard bungs anyway,
But my thoughts on the flexible stem is that it can catch on the bottom of the section if you are not careful when playing a fish, and possibly over time weaken it and cause cracks or split it.The side puller systems are on a reinforced section, the pull bungs come out from the bottom of a section with no reinforcements around it. My theory may be wrong on pullers and edge of sections but I am not going to chance it. We still managed to land big fish on the pole before these systems were in the shops.

John Keane

Reaction score
Middy do nice, straightforward PTFE bushes that only need a 5mm hole and snap in with a satisfying click. Run a drop of superglue around the rim anc the job’s a good ‘un, Furthermore the diameter is good enough to accept Red Hydro. I’ve done a couple of top kits on a Shimano Beastmaster Margin with these bushes using my Bosch mains drill in a cheapo vertical drill stand from Aldi.

Richox12

Reaction score
The side puller systems are on a reinforced section, the pull bungs come out from the bottom of a section with no reinforcements around it.

Female joints are reinforced anyway

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
they can wear thin with constant use and the age of the pole, I ordered 3 number 4 sections for a Daiwa pole due to the female ends
wearing thin, I meant that they don't have overwraps when I put not reinforced.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Middy do nice, straightforward PTFE bushes that only need a 5mm hole and snap in with a satisfying click. Run a drop of superglue around the rim anc the job’s a good ‘un, Furthermore the diameter is good enough to accept Red Hydro. I’ve done a couple of top kits on a Shimano Beastmaster Margin with these bushes using my Bosch mains drill in a cheapo vertical drill stand from Aldi.

They are good margin poles, and already have the safety zone on them.Are the Midddy ones better than the bush that Shimano
supply with the pole ?

bracket

Reaction score
Pete, What's the Vespe bush made from ?

Mark. The adapter that clips into the pole appears to be a composite plastic. The sliding tube is the same material as a pole tip insert. Vespe do a 6mm kit with a reinforcing Bush included which fits diawa top kits perfectly. Vespe also supply the pulla bungs separately in two diameters which require the pole section to be drill either 6mm or 7.5mm. I have fitted the 6mm diameter to a Diawa and Maver pole no trouble. Used them both last week and well pleased with the result. Pete