Are you one of the 20,000 lucky ones?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
To have received an email from the Environment Agency saying that in the next few days you'll be asked to join in the survey on the close season?

At a rough guess, 20,000 represents just under 2% of the angling population and if genuinely picked at random (there should be some national electoral office overseeing this) then it is a pretty decent sample. Although why we can't all join in by entering our licence number and once it's registered that's it, no one else can use the same number, I don't know.

Unless the questions are complicated - or worse still - LOADED!

I remember getting a survey from Lloyds bank years ago asking daft questions like "Do you think the service we offer is good, great or excellent. A little bit loaded, IMO.

Stand by, I am about to vent my feelings.

But like I was told years ago, "The EA have a duty to consult, but they don't have a duty to listen."

THIS WILL BE INTERESTING!!!:wh

thecrow

Reaction score
I wonder how the "lucky ones" have been selected? if an angler has PAID for a licence then he/she should have a voice in what happens, its just typical of the EA take our money and then ignore us. :mad:

laguna

Reaction score
Hi Jeff nice to hear from you. So I assume you are NOT one of the chosen 'lucky one's then?

As we all pay our dues we should ALL get a say. I can see the results now, where a broad (cough) sample of anglers right across the Nation consisting of young carp anglers are asked to take part, the very ones who have never even seen let alone fished a river; 'Not bothered', 'Don't know'!!
Result: Inconclusive.

tomino2112

Reaction score
I am one of the "lucky" ones as well

From email
As part of this work, we are carrying out an initial survey to understand the level of support among anglers for retaining, changing or removing the close season from rivers in England.

Sounds to me like they are going to get lot of subjective opinions, don't see much point in this survey

flightliner

Reaction score
Certainly not a fair survey, to many adverse variables that could skew the results every which way, it should be done with ALL licensee's not just a few.
We all pay we all fish so why not!

thecrow

Reaction score
This will only show the support or lack of it for either abolishing or keeping the CS from 20,000 anglers how many that have received an Email fish rivers? its a whitewash, maybe if those that haven't had an e mail don't pay the tax next year the EA would take some notice then?

If it wasn't for fishing with friends from FM I would still be winging it with no licence, take your money and forget you is the EAs way.

Reaction score
What a bloody shambles,I've had a rod licence all my life and don't qualify for the survey,whereas someone that may not care less about fishing/fish once a year can be asked to take part,garbage.!!!!:frusty:

nottskev

Reaction score
Don't shoot me if I've read this wrong, but reading the front page of the Angling Trust's CS section, it appears to say that this survey is not a vote/referendum on the CS, but is testing opinion to see if there is any support for a review of the byelaws, and if there is, a wider consultation involving all anglers will follow. I think.

But when you find sentences like this a bit further down the page (presented as a key consideration!)

"Regardless of whether or not close season angling does impact coarse fish stocks, the likely level of impact on stocks and recruitment in most rivers is unlikely to be detectable."

you can only conclude that, abolish or keep, we won't be able to tell the difference! This is the kind of stuff that wins shaming awards from the Plain English Campaign.

thecrow

Reaction score
Don't shoot me if I've read this wrong, but reading the front page of the Angling Trust's CS section, it appears to say that this survey is not a vote/referendum on the CS, but is testing opinion to see if there is any support for a review of the byelaws, and if there is, a wider consultation involving all anglers will follow. I think.

I just don't understand how the EA think they can test the opinions of anyone other than the ones getting the e mails or even why they would want the opinions of a small percentage of anglers if they are going to have a wider consultation involving all licence holders at a later date, it makes no sense but then it is the EA :)

sagalout

Reaction score
In this digital age, a simpleton like meself thinks it would be simple to put a simple tick to keep the close season check box on the pay your rod tax here web page.

sagalout

Reaction score
Ooooh, then we could pay for another 20 EA staff to be recruited to count the ticks.

bezzer

Reaction score
I received my invite on Tuesday. Survey will be available on the 22nd May.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What a comlete and utter waste of time.

How on earth can the EA possibly draw any relevant conclusions whatsoever from such a tiny representative sample?

Even more ridiculous is that there appears to be no logical reason for the selection; how many of those selected are:

a) Regular river anglers?
b) Or even reguar anglers, fishing for examle more than 12 times per annum?

When you couple this preposterpus sampling with the results from my FI Request I am more than ever convinced that this is nothing but a complete "fit-up" perpetuated by vested interests . . . . .

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
At least 20000 is three time the amount that voted on the recent Angling Times poll. How many of those 20000 will be bothered to answer.
Even if they sent out an email to every licence holder just how many would bother to answer, very few I would say. The EA could then just say there is little interest for change.