Grayling on the float?

dicky123

Reaction score
I'd like to try some long trotting for grayling this Autumn. Berkshire Kennet maybe, any place thats a trout stream in summer would do me? Can any kind sole give me a heads up please? Looking at a time after the trout season closes. Just a day, not made of money but would be happy to pay say £50 for a good beat as it's a one off for me?

Thanks all

****y

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Both the day ticket waters in Salisbury, Salisbury and District AA or London AA at Britford offer grayling especially the Salisbury water, and at a fraction of the Timsbury and Itchen waters. There are grayling lower down the Avon but not much day ticket water on stretches likely to hold a few.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
£50 will buy you a full "Winter" club membership on the Dorset Frome! If that's within your range it offers superb value from 1st November to 28th February. Even better, in my view, the sections of the river offered by Wareham & DAA and Dorchester & DAA between Wareham and Wool are predominently grayling and or game fish (resident &/or travellers). the Lower Itchen and Kennet stretches are quality venues but very mixed fisheries.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As Neil says both Wareham DAS and Dorchester DAS do grayling (WDAS) or half year (DDAS) tickets for £40 in both cases and each have several miles of the Dorset Frome with predominantly grayling though the game fish are very much off limits in both cases though you'll catch plenty, they just must be returned immediately without weighing or photography.

B

binka

If the Grayling thing develops into a regular yearning Rich you might find this useful, it's not a long haul from where you are either...

Matlock Angling Club

I used to be a member many moons ago and the Grayling fishing was very good indeed and the picturesque surroundings are second to none, both around Matlock itself and Matlock Bath but especially up around Darley Dale.

Ps... You got a good price for that Avon rod ;)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
As Neil says both Wareham DAS and Dorchester DAS do grayling (WDAS) or half year (DDAS) tickets for £40 in both cases and each have several miles of the Dorset Frome with predominantly grayling though the game fish are very much off limits in both cases though you'll catch plenty, they just must be returned immediately without weighing or photography.

Very much a plus as far as I am concerned. The game fish are a pain but it means you are fishing predominantly for grayling without the hassle of the usual coarse fish suspects. I have had a few cracking dace, just two roach, but both over 1.5lbs, plus the odd escapee bream and carp over the past couple of winters. But it's a proper grayling fishery with quality fish. Last winter was relatively tough but I still managed a number of grayling over 2lbs which as far as I'm concerned are superb specimens. Previous years had produced a few bigger fish to over 3lbs (mostly confirmed!) and some very big 2's. But grayling are somewhat short lived, don't "like" fishing pressure and the cycles of fishing come and go!

flightliner

Reaction score
Try the river Don in Sheffield (it's feutured in one of the trout mags today btw ).
It,s all free with more greyling than you could shake a stick at !
Pm me if you want any info.

dicky123

Reaction score
Steve,

I did mate, lucky to be honest. The chap came and collected it, he's been collecting these rods and wanted this model, just fortune. Could you tell us a bit more in a PM about that grayling fishing please?

Rich.