What are your plans on the 16th of june?

B

binka

I fully intend to be on the Trent and I've given three of my favourite pegs a real close cut with a strimmer during a work party today but the weather and river levels will all play a big part in the final decision.
I can report the river was running slightly high with some colour but looked splendid. close season my ar$e.

Excellent, a man after my own heart!

Out of interest which stretch of river have you been working on?

dicky123

Reaction score
Yes, the Trent too for me. I have a new book with plenty of waters to go at and the potential for some very big Chub if I can get it right on the day. It's the first time for a long time I'm excited about the river fishing. I think I will be fishing bread however on the float rather than maggots, just for a change.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After reading Ste Binkas thread just now I plan on steering clear of the trent until hes been checked out thoroughly by the doctors and the army explosive team!
Im quite sure the dooctor will attatch a HAZARDOUS EXPLOSIVE WASTE sticker to Steve until hes been deflated and made safe by the expolsive crew!

O

O.C.F.Disorder

There's a handful of brownies in my local stretch. Bear in mind i only restarted fishing last summer but i used to fish the same stretch and i never heard of trout. The smallest i've seen is about 10oz, the largest 2lb - i caught that fish twice last July and saw another (decent) angler catch it in October. That says to me there is a very low number of trout and you go half a mile downstream and the river isn't suitable.

Bumped into another decent angler in the winter and his theory was that the EA stock a few trout as a kind of 'canary in the mine'. The theory being that if the trout start floating belly up then they know there's a problem. I don't know if this is right but i have never seen a fish smaller than 10oz which does suggest that they don't form a breeding population. It's certainly worth further study.

When i wandered down with some bread in the week i saw 2 europeans cheerily walking my stretch with tackled up rods. I'm not too fussed because their setups looked a bit noddy but yes i did feel a bit selfish and paranoid.

For the record i know lots of europeans and on the whole they are a great bunch of lads, the young guys in particular are better behaved than their english counterparts in my experience, so i have no political axe to grind here.

Im no expert but brown trout seem to slip their way into surprising places.. I believe the answer most of the time is escapees from farms/commes but who knows. The fact of the matter here is stroud is bountiful and untouched. No one fishes there! It means not much room for a fly approach but so many fish it would drop your jaw. A fun fact is there is a very low population of minorities there. Its a shame your spot is being ruined but it really should exist in the first place, you know? if you want some good trout fishing go to a river filled with them :)

O

O.C.F.Disorder

its really great reading what you guys are going to be getting up to, my anticipation kind of died off today.. went fishing and had a pretty poor day of it due to having one limp leg haha will post about it in "how did it go"

Another Dave

Reaction score
Yes, i'm not sure what the point of my trout rant was.:beer: :eek:mg: Going back to June 16th, i met up with my old fishing mate yesterday, in the pub beer garden. Both of our owners were present and permission was granted for an entire day of fishing, something i haven't done for decades. The venue we have in mind is Blasford Hill Blasford Hill day ticket Fishery | 35lb + CARP PS12.00 2 RODS

bezzer

Reaction score
As the 16th falls on a Saturday this weekend I'll be waiting until midweek before I hit the river (Severn).

As my buddy and I do every opening day, we'll be having a couple of days on the river. Get down there mid afternoon, recce the stretch, pick a couple of pegs and have a few hours up to dusk. Retire to the pub for a few beers and some grub and then spend a few restless hours trying to sleep in the car. Up with the lark and spend the next day on the river.

Not everyone's cuppa tea but we've been doing it for ages now and the planning and anticipation make it worthwhile.

Target will be Chub and Barbel and we've not failed in our quest for a Barbel on the opening weekend (or thereabouts) since 2004. The fishing is usually hard due to the rivers being low and clear but you can't beat sitting on a riverbank.

I can't wait.......

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
I'm going to go to The Long Water at Hampton Court Palace, and look for carp :)

I got a voicemail yesterday telling me that my permit is ready for collection, so I'm quite looking forward to it....!

Cheers, Bob

Another Dave

Reaction score
My keep changing. Mate texted me just now to suggest Fennes Fishery near Braintree. Seeing as he's driving and i've never fished a commercial before i really don't mind what we do.

I take it you can get a portion of chips at these kind of places?

peterjg

Reaction score
I can't wait to get back on the Kennet chasing those roach!

laguna

Reaction score
16th falls on a Saturday? I don't fish weekends any more so will wait to test some new Laguna products out the week after.

The 16th doesn't have the same appeal these days anyway. It might have something to do with going alone, as some guys I fish with have turned to the dark side of fishing... Carp only on stillwater.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
16th falls on a Saturday? I don't fish weekends any more so will wait to test some new Laguna products out the week after.

The 16th doesn't have the same appeal these days anyway. It might have something to do with going alone, as some guys I fish with have turned to the dark side of fishing... Carp only on stillwater.

Most of my life i've fished with my m8's and very rarely did I ever fish alone. Nowadays I do most of my fiishing on my own as most of my m8's just can't be ar$ed going now, and the ones who do still have a go are more than happy with one or two sessions a year!
I've gott'a addmitt to loosing the passion to fish, maybe it's an age thing, who knows ?
I've got to the stage where i'm happy to just watch someone I know do a bit of fishing and then just fire off witjout having to wrap up the kit lol.

mikench

Reaction score
Ian you wouldn't be happy happy watching me, amused yes but not happy! Just think of all that knowledge and skill you need to pass on! Just forget I'm a lot older than you! I still need to catch some Chub!!!:wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ian you wouldn't be happy happy watching me, amused yes but not happy! Just think of all that knowledge and skill you need to pass on! Just forget I'm a lot older than you! I still need to catch some Chub!!!:wh

What do you mean a lot older, I thought you where younger you handsom son of a gun !

We can sort out the chub easy enough Mike :).

laguna

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Ian, I don't mind fishing alone but its a lot more fun fishing with friends if you can.
Sadly my best friend died last year and although we never fished much together as adults (work, family commitments and all that), we went everywhere together as kids. He witnessed my fish of a lifetime 3lb roach on the river and me his 7lb tench.
You have no bragging rights when you fish alone mate.

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
In response to my own post, I went down to Hampton Court Palace today to pick up my fishing permit. It allows fishing in Bushy Park and Home park, a total of 4 lakes. As it wasn't a bad day, and I was there, the missus and I went for a walk along the Long Water in Home Park at the Palace.

There were plenty of fish bubbling, and at one point the margin fishing looked pretty good.........

View down the lake:

28685383468_42a7d13ea7_z.jpg

View up the lake to the palace:

28685383628_e135024dbd_z.jpg

Ghostie/Koi swimming in close:

40750787910_dbc8418273_z.jpg

41837068734_a8bb9b77af_z.jpg

I'm guessing aorund 15-17lb. An unfortunate colour skin for living in a fishable, shallow lake :) Evidently there are some big 'uns in there too............

Cheers, Bob