Float rods for tench

nova12

Reaction score
Ive been fishing a venue where i can fish a rod length or 2 out and its full of tench and odd carp ive been attaching with the feeder and only catching a few on a meat feeder with hemp but think id do better with a float rod and handball hemp in etc. But what float rods are good for tench as i dont think my maver abyss will be up to the job with all the lillys etc.any help greatly appreciated im looking to spend 50ish

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Most half decent float rods will be fine for tench, so its a case of simply finding one to fit your budget. I keep hearing good things about darrent valley rods which are sold at very reasnable prices. Ive no idea if they do any float rods but they do have avon rods that would prolly be fine.

sagalout

Reaction score
So what size tench and carp are you talking about? Pellet waggler rods will handle most commercial/club sized fish.

iain t

Reaction score
1.25tc Avon rod will do or if very weedy a 1.50tc. Also, i use an original Preston Heavy(power) float rod for Tench in our Club stillwaters

nova12

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys theres double figure tench and carp to 38lb which im obviously not after also some large chub the pb there so far is 8lb 3oz its a old gravel pit full of old fish some nice old warriors in there

iain t

Reaction score
I've had a 23lb Carp with my 1.25lb Avon with no problem. Backwinding and playing brought her in with ease. I was targeting Tench at the time but greedy commons always seem to beat the bar to the bait first

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys theres double figure tench and carp to 38lb which im obviously not after also some large chub the pb there so far is 8lb 3oz its a old gravel pit full of old fish some nice old warriors in there

What did you say the name of the pit is?;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can get your hands on one then you cannot beat the original Drennan Tench Float rod.

If if memory serves me it was 12'9" and had a great action.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you can get yours hands on one then you cannot beat the original Drennan Tench Float rod.

If if memory serves me it was 12'9" and had a great action.

You are right Peter but i think the older drennan tench rods go for quite a bit more than 50 notes nowadays.
A few years ago I went through the whole range of em and settled on my favourite one which is the super tench, a really nice rod !

Keith M

Reaction score
It may not be as nicely finished as the earlier models but the newer MKIV Drennan Tench float rod is 13ft and designed for mono and braid up to 8lb max.

Although not as sought after as the earlier Drennan Tench float rods it is still a nice rod, and a rod that I regularly use when trotting for Barbel and smaller species like Chub, Roach and Dace plus of course it’s a good Tench rod as it’s name suggests.

If your lucky you might be able to get one in your price range on eBay.

Keith

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Keith: I have three of these rods (don't ask!) including one of the originals and the last time I had one out with a reel on in the garden to see if it might do a job for me, I found them to be quite heavy. Perhaps I need to have another look...

Of course, it could be I found them 'heavy' after using Ultralights week I, week out!

But you are right though, they certainly bend into fish and have bags of power. Sort of puts you in charge, type of rod

mikench

Reaction score
Oh no don't say I need a tench rod!:) Is this where I am going wrong? I know it isn't as many of my rods are more than capable ; it's the waters that are at fault!:wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh no don't say I need a tench rod!:) Is this where I am going wrong? I know it isn't as many of my rods are more than capable ; it's the waters that are at fault!:wh

Mike....you aint got a tench rod!
You really need a tench rod to catch tench you know :).

jasonbean1

Reaction score
but he could edge his bets and get the drennan distance tench and bream rod....2 species for the price of one rod!

sam vimes

Reaction score
As far as species specific rods go, it's really only Drennan that have consistently had one in their range. The only others I can think of are the (discontinued) Shimano Purist Tench Float and the Freespirit Tench Float. Perhaps it's indicative of the lack of tench, especially big ones, in my part of the world, but I've always managed well enough with standard match rods. Now that pretty much every manufacturer does a power float rod of some description, it shouldn't be overly difficult to find something able to cope with the biggest of tench. If it really must say "tench" on the rod, then the Drennan and Freespirits are available new.

steve2

Reaction score
We all know that you need a Tench rod for Tench the same as you need a Barbel rod for Barbel, a Carp rod for Carp etc. you won’t catch otherwise. You ask the tackle manufacturers they have convinced many anglers of this.
An Avon type rod or any so called carp float rod will do much of what you need for Tench

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I stopped using my Drennan when I bought my Carbotec FAST No 3 which is excellent for both Barbel and Tench or Carp come to that.

Sadly it is now discontinued and second hand ones carry a rather hefty price tag

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As far as species specific rods go, it's really only Drennan that have consistently had one in their range. The only others I can think of are the (discontinued) Shimano Purist Tench Float and the Freespirit Tench Float. Perhaps it's indicative of the lack of tench, especially big ones, in my part of the world, but I've always managed well enough with standard match rods. Now that pretty much every manufacturer does a power float rod of some description, it shouldn't be overly difficult to find something able to cope with the biggest of tench. If it really must say "tench" on the rod, then the Drennan and Freespirits are available new.

I had the original Drennan Tench float...good in its day but later versions were better IMO. Good chub rod though. My current go to for tench is the FS Tench float which I personally think is better than any Drennan version that Ive used BUT its 12' 9" and only 2 piece making it a bit of a pain to cart around. Depends if that bothers you.

Its a steal at £75 though.....even with a blemish.

davebhoy

Reaction score
I've owned most of the Drennan Tench float roads and the best for me is the Mark III but if I'm honest I'm not a good enough angler to see that much of a difference between the models.

I recently sold a Mark IV for £50, in good condition. I'm about to put a Mark III on eBay, in very good condition with bag and the original triangular tube, but it will probably go for much more than £50.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've owned most of the Drennan Tench float roads and the best for me is the Mark III but if I'm honest I'm not a good enough angler to see that much of a difference between the models.

I recently sold a Mark IV for £50, in good condition. I'm about to put a Mark III on eBay, in very good condition with bag and the original triangular tube, but it will probably go for much more than £50.

I've got a MK III in the shed somewhere. Best of the Drennan TF's in my view. Be interested to see what that fetches.