Turtle Beans

peterjg

Reaction score
Ray Roberts earlier mentioned urid beans, on Saturday I fished urid beans in a rarely fished Thames weirpool so I doubt if they had been used there before? I caught a few reasonable roach on them, well pleased.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I bought some of the Thoroughbred tares a while back but only got round to trying them a couple of weeks ago. Like some others have found they were too hard to get on the hook. Boiled them again and they still weren't right, kept splitting. OK, I might not have boiled them enough but I shouldn't have to boil them at all so got some dried ones from Tares | Haith's Baits. Did two small lots. One soaked for 24hrs then boiled. Again, I probabaly didn't boil them for long enough, too hard but it was by the way as the others I put in a flask (just a cup full) and filled with boiling water at 2:00pm. Following morning emptied them out and they felt just right. Fished with them and they go on the hook easily so that's the way I'll do them in the future. Didn't catch me any fish though. It was an odd day so I'll give them another go on Tuesday all being well. That's if I don't melt in the heat!
Thanks for the heads up on Haith's. I am planning on a couple of roach trips in a couple of weeks and will try; Urid beans, turtle beans and tares side by side and see if they show a preference.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

peterjg

Reaction score
Ray, re your previous post. Can l ask how were your results with the turtle beans?

I have used the urid beans a few times now and can report that roach definitely prefer hemp to urid beans. Also it would be great to find an alternative to sweetcorn.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Ray, re your previous post. Can l ask how were your results with the turtle beans?

I have used the urid beans a few times now and can report that roach definitely prefer hemp to urid beans. Also it would be great to find an alternative to sweetcorn.
I have only just managed to get hold of some. Yet to use them. When I do I will post the results. I have managed to get some tares and have done ok with them but the size of fish hasn't been as high as I would have liked. I have high hopes of the turtle beans, they are bigger than tares and are jet black with a white mark on the skin.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk