Cheaper alternative to the Acolyte 13ft Distance Feeder rod.

maverick54

Reaction score
Looking at buying a 13ft Distance feeder rod capable of reaching 70mtrs with a 45g Hybrid feeder.

Can't justify the prices of the Drennan Acolyte or Daiwa SLR rods etc. so looking for a rod max spend £100.

Any recommendations from anyone who fishes these distances greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I know a couple of anglers who use the Shakespeare Agility Continental feeders, do not confuse them with
the Shakespeare Agility Feeder. The 12' is around 65 quid and they do a 13' at 80 quid, the 14' if you want
one of those is 85 quid, these are Chapmans Angling prices,

flightliner

Reaction score
Mark--- I have two agility feeders, the standard 12 ft jobs with three quivertip s .
I can just about make 55 yards or thereabouts but not the 70+ rqd by the op.
As you say their power model would definitely give the rqd distances with no bother.
I popped over to Chapmans for mine and they cost me £25 each-- a no brainier really , the heavier version was £40 at the time.
I did have issues with the butts them having an ugly "palm swell" so I took them to a rod building friend who took them off and replaced them with a longer full cork one that he spun down to a 20mm diameter rather than the overly fat 25mm ones, while he had them he stripped away the awful graphics along with the sprayed on finnish.
I love em to bits, the customising was purely a personal thing, totally not needed if the manufacturers spec suit the buyer but at the price it was an easy decision, made for carp commies they will be perfect for my lighter feeder work on the Trent.
Can't reccamend them high enough.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The ordinary agility feeder is like you said 40 quid at Chapmans, The Agility Continental is a different rod and on a
better blank,thats why its 4o quid dearer. The 14' version is capable of launching a 5oz payload out,
If I was going to get a feeder rod for distance work I would go for the Continental instead of the Agility Power.
I have the Agility Wand and cant fault it, ideal for F1's on commercials, In fact my Harrier tip rod has stayed at home
since I have been using the Wand, The grandson will claim it when we next go, he is like a magpie if he sees anything
new,

maverick54

Reaction score
Well thanks for the suggestions lads. In the end I bought the Shakespeare Agility 13ft Continental Feeder. Got it for £67 delivered from Bobco.

Coupled it with a nice new Shimano Ultegra 5500 XTD :thumbs: