Day tickets, yes or no?

eric

Reaction score
Again, I haven't actually suggested that access to angling be restricted. All I've said is that day tickets are a double edged sword for a club and my preference, could any club I'm a member of afford to do it, would be for no day tickets. As an individual angler, I'd probably be delighted if every fishery was available on a day ticket. However, with my club official's hat on, I've got to think in the best interests of the club and its' members, not every random non-member angler in the land. Same goes for other waters I hold membership for. Many anglers would probably be over the moon if they all offered day tickets. However, the bulk of the membership would drop out if that were to happen.
I'm off to get a day ticket

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
Before I joined the club who's waters I am fishing this season I had no idea other than the club spiel that I had read, it was after visiting the fisheries and seeing the surroundings, talked to a couple of anglers and the bailiffs who keep them like this that I decided to join, as it turns out the fishing has been ok as well as being on nice waters, maybe I was fortunate to be able to "have a look" as some clubs wouldn't have allowed it, indeed some clubs ban any visitors possibly for insurance reasons?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Before I joined the club who's waters I am fishing this season I had no idea other than the club spiel that I had read, it was after visiting the fisheries and seeing the surroundings, talked to a couple of anglers and the bailiffs who keep them like this that I decided to join, as it turns out the fishing has been ok as well as being on nice waters, maybe I was fortunate to be able to "have a look" as some clubs wouldn't have allowed it, indeed some clubs ban any visitors possibly for insurance reasons?

If they contact us and ask nicely, it's not unknown for potential members to be walked round our river stretches.

eric

Reaction score
Yes obvs. Some just do day tickets on certain venues not the whole book
Again, I haven't actually suggested that access to angling be restricted. All I've said is that day tickets are a double edged sword for a club and my preference, could any club I'm a member of afford to do it, would be for no day tickets. As an individual angler, I'd probably be delighted if every fishery was available on a day ticket. However, with my club official's hat on, I've got to think in the best interests of the club and its' members, not every random non-member angler in the land. Same goes for other waters I hold membership for. Many anglers would probably be over the moon if they all offered day tickets. However, the bulk of the membership would drop out if that were to happen.

thecrow

Reaction score
If they contact us and ask nicely, it's not unknown for potential members to be walked round our river stretches.

Its good that members would take the time to do that, the waters I am fishing have a public right of way through them although it doesn't get used as the waters are out of the way, I only hope the ramblers don't discover it :)

rich66

Reaction score
Personally I find lack of day ticket waters on canals and rivers very frustrating. I’m not too bothered about fishing a clubs private lakes on a day pass.

There’s a few places around here I’d like to fish, but hardly anyone offers day tickets to the local canal etc. Chances are I’d buy a season ticket anyway if I liked the waters but I’m not paying a years fee for 1 day.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Personally I find lack of day ticket waters on canals and rivers very frustrating. I’m not too bothered about fishing a clubs private lakes on a day pass.

There’s a few places around here I’d like to fish, but hardly anyone offers day tickets to the local canal etc. Chances are I’d buy a season ticket anyway if I liked the waters but I’m not paying a years fee for 1 day.

Have you tried contacting the Canal & Rivers Trust about I think it is called the wanderers ticket, it is around 25 quid,
you get to fish lots of canal stretches up and down the country for that.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
One of the clubs I am in offers a canal only membership, another offers canal only plus canal and river membership as well as full memberships, Also if anyone is genuinely wanting to join one of the clubs, A club bailiff will take them around the waters so they can see what is on offer,

rich66

Reaction score
Have you tried contacting the Canal & Rivers Trust about I think it is called the wanderers ticket, it is around 25 quid,
you get to fish lots of canal stretches up and down the country for that.

Hi Mark yes I’ve looked at that ticket but the nearest wanderers canal stretch is about 20 miles away from home, to me it’s too far to travel due to my work & other commitments.

mikench

Reaction score
I have 2 day ticket waters on one club card. Both waters are kept immaculately with the grass kept cut, clean toilets and owners who care and who whilst imposing lots of rules, tend to ignore many when no harm is being done. Markcw introduced me to one of them and another which isnt on the card but which again was immaculate!

One of my club waters had so much goose s**** on the pegs they were almost unuseable so i have an old brush in the car for this week to give them all a clean. Flipflops are not suitable footwear for kicking it aside and, some would argue not suitable footwear for fishing at all! One needs to do ones bit occasionally!

dicky123

Reaction score
I like to see people from the clubs visiting the water each days. That means the litter folk tend not to leave anything, its a bit like the old days when police walked round the back streets.
I was on a day ticket (but also my club) after a match this Tuesday. Bags of ground bait left in every other peg, or some form of litter. if it was me I'd ban that club for 2 years, then that might make the captain walk around the pegs after a match checking for litter and speaking to the culprits.

dicky123

Reaction score
John. Are you saying then as part of your membership, the club (they in your thread) expect you to help with all the associated work that goes along with the running of a club. Or have I missed the thought of your thread. Most people as Sam intimated just want to pay, and expect it all done for them?
Many carp syndicates are so expensive because of the cost of running a club that provides all. Toilets a little shelter/club house,
clean areas, safe car parking, fish, well set out swims, and that's before you pay any rent.
I think a club should expect members (all) to put something back into their club. But just my own view?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I like to see people from the clubs visiting the water each days. That means the litter folk tend not to leave anything, its a bit like the old days when police walked round the back streets.
I was on a day ticket (but also my club) after a match this Tuesday. Bags of ground bait left in every other peg, or some form of litter. if it was me I'd ban that club for 2 years, then that might make the captain walk around the pegs after a match checking for litter and speaking to the culprits.
When we do the weigh in on our matches, if there is any litter on the anglers peg,and this includes cigarette butts, he does not get weighed in,

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
John. Are you saying then as part of your membership, the club (they in your thread) expect you to help with all the associated work that goes along with the running of a club. Or have I missed the thought of your thread. Most people as Sam intimated just want to pay, and expect it all done for them?
Many carp syndicates are so expensive because of the cost of running a club that provides all. Toilets a little shelter/club house,
clean areas, safe car parking, fish, well set out swims, and that's before you pay any rent.
I think a club should expect members (all) to put something back into their club. But just my own view?

I think if you expect all the members to help then you are onto a looser.
Besides those that might not be able enough to help.
Does it mean if you lease a car you are expected to help service it yourself?
I can see your point though.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

The burning question I get from reading this whole thread is: How deluded must one be to think calling someone deluded isn't an insult?