Day tickets, yes or no?

dicky123

Reaction score
I'm not making a comment (yet) on this, but since re-joining my local club this year, I see days tickets are being removed from some beats. It seems day-ticket anglers (a few) cause all sorts of problems to the clubs. More littler, illegal night fishing, poaching, stealing fish, fires. So it seems they have little choice as I see it.

On the personnel level, it means I'm more likely to meet local people mostly, with an interest in the club itself. More people would have keys, so parking a car would be a little safer.

It could mean clubs open their books for membership to anyone from any part of the Country, rather than restrict to local people in a catchment area? Lots to discuss here I guess.

Any thoughts?:eek:mg:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Everyone knows that all day ticket anglers are basically scum that break all the rules all the time and spoil the local fishing for the local people.

Keith M

Reaction score
Trouble is that some day ticket anglers (not all of course) are just interested in catching on the day, and the health and state of the fishery is often the last thing on their minds.
Not all day ticket anglers are like this of course but it’s a fairly common trait in my experience.

Having said that; there are the odd members who flaunt the rules too unless it’s a well run club.

Keith

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
My thoughts are that the problems waters get are allowed to happen by the controlling club. It is within their power to do something about it if they are that interested, removing day tickets from a stretch because of problems but allowing them on others is imo just going to move the problem.

What if those that are causing problems become club members will that change their attitude? Day ticket or club member its all about mindset of the angler.

Keith M

Reaction score
What if those that are causing problems become club members will that change their attitude? Day ticket or club member its all about mindset of the angler.

I agree, but if they then stand to lose their club membership then there’s a good chance that they might think twice the next time they decided to ignore the clubs rules. so club membership can install a bit more respect of a water if it can result in them losing their right to fish any of the clubs waters completely and forfeiting their club fees.
Wheras day ticket anglers can simply move on regardless.

If a club stops selling day tickets from a water that they have spent a lot of time and effort into making into a good fishery for its members, then that’s fine, it’s up to them, and quite understandable, but if they simply decided to remove day ticket fishing from it because they suspected day ticket anglers were causing problems then I can still fully sympathise with them, as long as they were doubly sure that it wasn’t club members that were responsible.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
In answer to the thread, yes, as long as those issuing day tickets accept the cost and responsibility to keep them clean the same as everyone else who hires their land to the general public on a ad-hoc basis, football clubs, cricket clubs, boot fair owners etc etc, they keep them clean. I have been to two non club day ticket venues recently, one once and the other twice and they were both spotless same as many commercials I have been to over the years and I have been to day ticket club waters that were a disgrace, rats, loads of fishing line in the trees, discarded litter and tackle everywhere, obviously they want the money but don't always accept the responsibility..If your club day ticket water is a disgrace then its the clubs fault and by default the membership, too easy to just pass the buck as scum.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
I have fished waters that belong to a club that prides itself on the quality of its members, an interview has to be attended before the committee will sanction membership, I have on some occasions found discarded line on the bank, this has more than likely been left by members of the club as there are no day tickets I was fishing as a guest and as a guest I make even more effort to do things correctly

I have also fished day ticket water belonging to the same club, no litter no discarded line in the swims I fished.

I belong to a club that works hard at keeping their waters in good condition, recently there was a complaint that litter had become a problem on one of their waters, there are no day tickets on this water so it must be some members that are littering, another one of their waters does allow day tickets but only if the day ticket angler is accompanied by a member, there is no litter on this water.

Its a confusing picture, some will always care some wont when there is no one about and some will never bother.

I have a suspicion that this thread is more about none UK anglers but I may be wrong, again :)

Keith M

Reaction score
I have been to two non club day ticket venues recently, one once and the other twice and they were both spotless same as many commercials I have been to over the years and I have been to day ticket club waters that were a disgrace, rats, fishing line in the trees, discarded litter and tackle everywhere, obviously they don't all bother.

I count myself as being very lucky that all of the fishing clubs that I have been a member of over the years (one of which I helped to run for just under 30 years) have looked after their waters exceptionally well and given any idiots that didn’t respect any of their waters a hefty boot.

Like the ex-members who were fishing on the opposite side of our estate lake and had a small bivvie in their swim. When they had packed up and left I went around to their swim and found a neat pile of sh@t and toilet paper in the place where they had had their bivvie. Needless to say they were never allowed back.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Personally this thread reminds me of how clubs cant keep up with the modern world, attitudes, out of date practices, the modern angling public, pleasure angling, dinosaurs and they will go the same way.

john step

Reaction score
I sometimes buy a day ticket. I have never knowingly left litter and have never thought of myself as scum.

There is no excuse for litter but I would say that if a club accepts money for a day ticket then it must be responsible for picking up any litter that is left by the less civilised amongst our ranks.
Its just the same as cinemas, sports grounds and any place where the public have paid an entrance. Cleaning up goes with the territory and should be budgeted in the ticket price.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I buy day tickets and can assure you i am not scum.
I do not leave litter or anything worse.
I am also in agreement with what John Step has said.
The owners should check for any rule breakers and act accordingly.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's no way that I'd suggest that day ticket anglers are scum. It's rather preposterous to suggest it might be the case. However, I'd suggest that a bigger proportion of dubious characters are likely to buy day tickets than a yearbook. The most dubious characters of all will invariably buy neither.

I'd much prefer it if my club didn't offer day tickets. However, the reality is that if we didn't, our income would decrease significantly and more people would just fish without paying a penny. It's the downside of having water that's quite accessible and in a tourist area. Annual membership costs would have to rise significantly to make up for the shortfall. The biggest issue I've had with some people that buy day tickets is that they don't tend to bother reading the rules. For reasons that are quite beyond me (our river stretches have virtually no pike or perch), many day ticket anglers (and poachers) seem to want to fish lures (spinning types, not fluffy ones). Club rules disallow all forms of spinning/lures, so they are very easy to spot.

When it comes to members being local to a club, much depends on the club's history and constitution. Some clubs have tight constitutions disallowing outside membership. To attempt to change them may actually result in the dissolution of the club. Those with less tight constitutions can either get round them by offering outside memberships with no voting rights or may actually be able to change their constitutions. Clubs that don't allow any outside members seem to be getting increasingly rare. Those that I know operated this way in times past no longer do so. Many clubs just couldn't survive being that picky.

Philip

Reaction score
I recall one club I was a member of allowed day tickets if you fished with a member which was a reasonable compromise I thought although of course you have to know a member to get a ticket.

As a kid had it not been for day ticket waters I probably would not have been able to do much fishing.

MRWELL

Reaction score
Everyone knows that all day ticket anglers are basically scum that break all the rules all the time and spoil the local fishing for the local people.
------------------------------
I find this comment a bit over the top even if it was said to get a reaction or a joke,i fish day ticket all the time as i can not afford the money it takes to join a club plus i am restricted to fishing only a few days a month so paying out stupid money to fish is just not on for me but all the best to those who can..to be labled as scum because we pay day ticket is a disgrace in my book,i don't know were he gets this misguided notion from,i have never broken any rules in more than 40 years of fishing or have i left litter,i pick it up if i see it and bin it yet i am scum?..please do me a favour and keep these kind of comments out of these dabates..theres good and bad in all that fish and i treat everyone with the respect they diserve,if i see anyone breaking rules then i give them hell but other wise i just enjoy my day ticket fishing like thousands of others do.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
the less civilised amongst our ranks.

I am not so sure about that, I have never found a pile of **** and toilet paper on a day ticket water swim.

I dont think club anglers are any different or better to any other anglers except they think they are. Its just the way of the world, they have a vested interest, they have paid a lot of money and they know they are more likely to get caught and punished. I bet most of them think nothing of throwing a fag packet or a napkin down at a football match the same as lots of other people, they just don't like it when others do it to them.

I think clubs just never want to spend any money especially on day ticket waters or any money to better the lot of their members or their day ticketing guests, they treat them like scum. I mentioned in the HDYGT thread four weeks ago about a day ticket on a lovely non carp lake on a farm that had plumbed in a nice washing station with antiseptic wash and a litter bin because they cared, and it was pristine; never seen that on a club water, day ticket or otherwise. Just one small thing but why people are turning their backs on clubs, they don't care other than taking your money. I mean they would just never think of doing that, save the money and stuff the members and double stuff their day ticketing guests.. Its an attitude that modern anglers don't want anymore.
The only time I have seen anything done on a club day ticket water is just up the road from me, they built some nice platforms and a fence round a lake, guess what; they got a lottery grant for it, all those years of taking taking day ticket money and never built one platform for disabled or anyone else and its still a rat infested **** hole. Hardly anyone fishes it now. Not one of them would think of cleaning it up or spending a penny on it. They just don't get the modern angling world and they are paying the price, rightly so.

Sorry, I know I am going to be accused of just a ranter but its the simple truth, I have been to two pristine day ticket waters, simple rules, the owners have chatted to me, not feigned interest, They obviously care about their waters and me, what I think etc, they are kept clean and money re invested in their waters so I have as nice a day as possible, I have made instant friends on them and I can spend or not spend as much as I want to and its just a better world for me. I wish it was all like that.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
I have to wonder how many of the day ticket anglers on the OPs waters are also members of other angling clubs? As I said imo its all about the mind set of the anglers, poor attitude is not confined to day ticket anglers.

One also has to wonder what the club members are doing about the problems on their club waters or do they ignore it and merely complain for someone else to take action?