Mini Baitrunners

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've just ordered a pair of the Shimano x aero 2500 FA from Angling Direct. I wonder if any of you guys had the same reels or if there were any known problems with them. The spec looks very good for them.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've often been tempted with these Ray, but wondered what your intended use is for them?

In the past I've "made do" with Shimano Stradics in 2500 and 3000 sizes for most of my close to medium legering/feeder work.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have the 2500 and 4000 x aeros and they've been fine. I've used the 2500 reels on the river for barbel and chub etc although I think they're more suited to tench fishing on stillwater pools.
The 4000 reels are a better all round size....imo, both are suited to float fishing or leger.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have the 2500 and 4000 x aeros and they've been fine. I've used the 2500 reels on the river for barbel and chub etc although I think they're more suited to tench fishing on stillwater pools.
The 4000 reels are a better all round size....imo, both are suited to float fishing or leger.
That's pretty much what I intend to use them for. I have some 5000 size Baitrunners but they tend to unbalance lighter rods.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The one thing that has turned me off of Shimano baitrunners is that the lever is proud in the "off" position.

My Diawa Big Pit reels are the opposite; when the baitrunner mechanism is "off" then it lies flush with the body of the reel.

It is a minor point I know but one that really "bugs me" when in use . . . . .

john step

Reaction score
The one thing that has turned me off of Shimano baitrunners is that the lever is proud in the "off" position.

My Diawa Big Pit reels are the opposite; when the baitrunner mechanism is "off" then it lies flush with the body of the reel.

I have 6000 sizes for carp/pike with the mechanism as you have said but my 2500 and 4000 are the opposite.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Baitrunner levers newer Shimano reels often work the opposite way to the older Shimano Baitrunners. It's no longer safe to assume which way they work just because it's a Shimano reel.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Peter, as John has already said, the x aero reels baitrunner switches are proud when in use and click back flush with the reel as soon as you turn your handle.
That is one point I dislike about my older shimmys although it really doesn't make any difference in use

sagalout

Reaction score
I got a pair of the 2500 DLs, had them about 8 years, used them a lot and never had any problems. I really like them, very, smooth, smashing clutch. I don't fish at more than 30/40 yards so the capacity is fine for me and I normally have them on 10ft pellet wagglers for feeder work. Highly recommended if the current ones are the same as the ones I got.