Diameter of daiwa spools?

Reaction score
I'm interested to know the diameters of the 2508 and 3012 sized reels,as it is more important than capacities to me...

wetthrough

Reaction score
3012 is 53.96mm od my filled diameter is 49.79mm spool width 18mm. Not sure what the inner diameter is.

mikench

Reaction score
Alan i have a 2506 and The diameter measured across the bottom of the spool is 45mm. The 3012 is 50mm! I used my spare spools for this excercise!

I didn't know there was a 2508!

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
If a large diameter spool is a significant consideration, some of the more recent Shimano offerings may be worth a look. I have a 2500 that has a spool of 52mm and a 4000 that is 58mm. I'd guess that the 3000 size would be about 55mm. Such spools are to be found on the likes of the GT RD, Stradic Ci4+ and various recent Aero models. Mikench, you might want to re-evaluate your units. 500mm is half a metre.

Last edited:

Reaction score
My interest is based on the fact that it the spool size is too small,coiling takes place,making casting/trotting difficult,the old Mitchell match spools were perfect,I have a Shimano technium and though it's a lovely smooth running reel,I wish I'd bought a 4000 size,thanks for the gen guys,it's much appreciated.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you have no particular objection to Shimano and rear drag, I can heartily recommend the new Stradic Ci4+ RA, especially at this price. The 4000 is probably bigger than you'd like ideally, but it's only 12oz. The spool is 58mm. It comes with two metal spools and reducers that give you a genuinely shallow match spool. I only bought one because I got a deal and I'm glad I took the punt. The gearing has a certain feel that makes it more like the Shimanos of old. It's a single handle too, just in case you have a bad case of Skippy.

Reaction score
If you have no particular objection to Shimano and rear drag, I can heartily recommend the new Stradic Ci4+ RA, especially at this price. The 4000 is probably bigger than you'd like ideally, but it's only 12oz. The spool is 58mm. It comes with two metal spools and reducers that give you a genuinely shallow match spool. I only bought one because I got a deal and I'm glad I took the punt. The gearing has a certain feel that makes it more like the Shimanos of old. It's a single handle too, just in case you have a bad case of Skippy.

The thing is,I have two Shimano old aero match 3 in perfect operating order which have great spools,for diameter and depth,they are rear drag and Japanese,so have loaded a spool for my slider fishing(4-5lbs bs),the crags on these reels are of comparable quality to front drag reels.

Another issue is that people write in mags and blogs that 6lb line at least should be used for slider work,total rowlocks...

mikench

Reaction score
I bought the stradic this week and at the price quoted! It is very light and you wouldn't think it was a 4000! It's well engineered and casts well with 4lb on a spool with a line reducer added! Have yet to catch something to test the drag both rear and fighting!

sam vimes

Reaction score
The thing is,I have two Shimano old aero match 3 in perfect operating order which have great spools,for diameter and depth,they are rear drag and Japanese,so have loaded a spool for my slider fishing(4-5lbs bs),the crags on these reels are of comparable quality to front drag reels.

Naturally, it's your choice. However, I have a couple of original Japanese Stradic GTMs that have been rendered utterly redundant by newer reels. The one thing that is instantly obvious is how small (in diameter) the spools are when compared to even the normal modern ARC spools. Put them alongside the X-Ship ARC spools and it's quite laughable how small they are. As a larger diameter spool was your stated ambition in the first post, that's why I threw the X-Ship Shimanos into the mix.

When it comes to drag comparisons, I guess it depends on exactly what you've experienced. I've yet to find a rear drag reel that is the equal of the best front drags I've used. I don't think that's particularly surprising when it largely depends on washer surface area. There's a lot more space for bigger washers in a front drag.

wetthrough

Reaction score
[...]
When it comes to drag comparisons, I guess it depends on exactly what you've experienced. I've yet to find a rear drag reel that is the equal of the best front drags I've used. I don't think that's particularly surprising when it largely depends on washer surface area. There's a lot more space for bigger washers in a front drag.

Better in what way?

Reaction score
The aero match 3 spools are a bigger diameter than the 2508,also they are longer,so line lay is very shallow allowing for good pay out. Drags however,I've got five front drag reels,two shimano,two daiwa's,all decent reels,there is little to choose between them and the aero's,ive handled the tdr's and the caldia's and although they're better,they are not that much better and not a hundred or more quid better.I have a Japanese 4000 GTM,it has too fast a retrieve for float fishing with hooklinks under 4lbs,6 to 1 ratio I believe.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Better in what way?

Smoother in operation and can be waterproofed so that it remains the case in the longer term. I find that you can get similar levels of smoothness out of a rear drag reel, but you have to set the drag at a lesser tension to do so. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against rear drag reels and in some ways I still prefer them.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Smoother in operation and can be waterproofed so that it remains the case in the longer term. I find that you can get similar levels of smoothness out of a rear drag reel, but you have to set the drag at a lesser tension to do so. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against rear drag reels and in some ways I still prefer them.

Thanks. Mine's yet to get really wet and I don't use high settings, 1.1lb is about the max when using ~3lb line. At that level I hadn't noticed the rear drag being any less smooth than the front drag Daiwa TDM - modified to slow drag. That said it hasn't had that much exercise of late:(