Where the heck do you get lobworms in the summer?

Another Dave

Reaction score
Last year they were my go-to bait, this year it's so dry i've only managed to dig half a dozen all summer. I almost ordered some of those Canadian ones you can get from Willy's Worms until i saw Willy wanted £4.99 postage at which point i discovered i have a Yorkshire gene and my wallet clamped shut.

What's the answer here? I'd love a tub of lobs right now.

rich66

Reaction score
Funnily enough we gave the lawn a good soaking tonight, and I’ve just come back in with a massive haul of 3 lobs. I put them back in disgust.
Normally I get loads out of my rabbit run, it’s direct onto soil so plenty of food for them. But this year I can’t find one there either.
Until we have a deluge I think they are going to be in short supply.

sam vimes

Reaction score
My two regular tackle shops both tend to keep a stock of lobworms. Rarely do I have problems getting them if I really want them, though they aren't cheap. I rarely bother in the height of summer. They don't last very long in high temperatures.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Thanks, looks like i might have to make enquiries at the local Angling Direct.

ian g

Reaction score
Funnily enough I'm just waiting on a delivery from Willy Worms now . The delivery charge is a bit big but the service/worms are good. I can get lobworms a bit cheaper from my local tackle shop but they're a bit hit and miss even though they are Willy Worms . I keep them in my shed in a large container they last well in a constant cool temperature . I feed them a bit of mash potato which keeps them going.

john step

Reaction score
Dave, lobs are best but as you say can be difficult to find or rather expensive.
Have a search for a thread I started a year or two ago called "My Wormery". If you have a square yard of space in the garden its just the job. Not lobs I concede but two or three on a hook make a good substitute and I am never without free worms. Yorkshire blood must be endemic. :wh

Another Dave

Reaction score
Dave, lobs are best but as you say can be difficult to find or rather expensive.
Have a search for a thread I started a year or two ago called "My Wormery". If you have a square yard of space in the garden its just the job. Not lobs I concede but two or three on a hook make a good substitute and I am never without free worms. Yorkshire blood must be endemic. :wh

Thanks. Found the thread and while i don't have space for a worm hotel like yours, i could definitely fit a smaller plastic crate somewhere in the shade, as someone there suggested. My wormery.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
No mate, Oxford... and I'm being a bit tongue in cheek. However, there's plenty of bars in Oxford town centre where they'd charge you at least that for a 330ml bottle, which to me is practically a half. Especially if it's "craft" beer. £6+ for that!