River Waggler Fishing Advice.

clutch

Reaction score
Hello,

This season I have decided to give float fishing a try on my local river, the Severn. I had my first go this week fishing at Bridgnorth, and I have a few questions if anyone has any advice to give.

Due to the water level and minimal flow, I was advised to try the waggler over stick float. Are there certain conditions where you would choose one over the other? Of is it just a personal preference thing?

My set up was a 13ft rod, coupled with a 2500 reel loaded with 6lb Daiwa Sensor. I used a Dave Harrell truncheon 4AAA waggler. I used a small micro swivel, to attach my 4.5lb hook link to a size 16 hook. Does this seem about right? I was fishing red maggot, just trying to pick up whatever really. Do you bulk all the shot around the float to lock it in place? Or is it better to secure the float with 2 AAA's and redistribute the shot down the line. I was unsure about how to set up my shot pattern.

This may seem really obvious to some, but I was unsure how to correctly plumb the depth. Is there a technique to use on the river? I mean, if you use a plummet, the lead sinks and the float carries on down the river and then gets pulled under.... I tried a variety of depths, from 4 to 9-ish feet. I couldn't tell if I was on bottom,no where near, or if the bait was bumping its way down the river. Difficult to explain, but I just can't get my head around it.

With a waggler, should I be trying to hold the float back a bit or slow it down? I was just letting it run through the swim, leaving the bail arm open and trapping the line with my finger. I also 'fixed' the line every so often, to take the bow out of it, however I did not know if that effected presentation as it caused the float to dip under.

I had an enjoyable afternoon, caught a few small chub, dace, roach etc. Just could do with a bit of help understanding the basics. I also fancy having a go targeting barbel on the float when I get a bit more confident with it all.

I would be grateful for any help, and if anyone has useful tips that I haven't mentioned then that would be fantastic.

Cheers.

Reaction score
This is just my opinion,but I wouldn't fish any heavier than 4lb mainline on the waggler(unless forced),control would be hampered,3lb would be a better option,there are no hard and fast shotting patterns,everything varies,only starting points.

bracket

Reaction score
Clutch. Plumbing up on a river can never be precise, this has already been said. However I find that if you shot up your waggler to how you want it, then nip a swan shot on the hook, you will find that casting is not impeded and you will be able to get a close approximation of the depth. From then on it is a case of removing the swan shot and fine tuning the depth and the position of the bottom drop shot until you get the rig to run through slightly over depth with the drop shot off the bottom. This is your starting point. Make sure you remember this depth by measuring it off against your rod rings. When you are happy you have got this you can frig about with the depth as much as you like, knowing you can always go back to the initial setting and start again. You wiĺl also be able to find out if the depth is constant through the swim or if it varies, by the way the float runs through. It takes a bit of practice but is not difficult and you are doing it in a systematic way. Pete.

Last edited: