maver oculus

hawb811

Reaction score
does anyone have a maver oculus pole, i need a new pole that my maver top kits will fit, im using the maver elite carp 2 and it has seen better days, im looking at the oculus 799 but like to know if its any good

sagalout

Reaction score
I had a 799, I thought it was amazing for the money. Light, strong and well balanced. It was very good up to 13 metres, 14.5 was good but not something I would want too do for hours on end and it was manageable at 16 metres. I must tell you I am not an expert on poles but I really liked it.

I sold because I broke the number 4 and lost the top kit then a week later I broke a top kit (both incidents were my fault) and I decided I could do without a long pole because the waters I fish don't have islands/features within 16 metres so a margin pole is the only pole I use now.

I might have a slight bias in the 799's favour because I bought mine brand new from a retailer on ebay for £500.

sagalout

Reaction score
If you mean pulling sideways (ie putting a bend in it), that's how I broke it both times. Long poles are not made for pulling sideways, only a margin pole is designed for that but even they have their limits. I haven't broken my beastmaster 850b yet!

hawb811

Reaction score
thats put me off a bit now, whats going to happen when i hit a double and it races to a snag, i have a beastmaster margin but cant carry 2 poles on a motorbike, i have no issues the elite 2 handling doubles but its had a lot of wear now. im surprised at how many have been sold around the country and only 1 person has replied to the thread

sagalout

Reaction score
Is that the elite carp 2? I had one of those as well. The elite carp 2 is a better pole than the oculus 799 but it was a lot more money. If I was going back to a long pole I would go for either the Drennan Acolyte Carp at 13m for around a grand the Maver Darkside 2 and 3 regularly appear in the sales as real bargain prices.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A friend I fish with has the 799, he is happy with it, spares package was decent, had no breakages yet,
I have the Daiwa G50, he had a go with mine and wishes he had spent the extra and got the Daiwa,
I have leaned into fish to get them away from snags with no worries, the only other poles I have had
confidence in doing that were a Shimano aernos and a 16 metre Maver genesis,
you should be able to pick a good 2nd hand G50 up for around 750 to 800 quid,
Spares are plentiful and daiwa sales service is excellent, you can even order spares direct from Daiwa,
the G50 is made in the uk, I also use it down the margins.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

Looks as if maver are discontinuing the Darkside if they are doing them at that price,
Shimano did the same with the Aernos down from 1200 to 550, I phoned all the shimano dealers I knew to get one,
ended up buying the last one that Oakwood angling had in stock, Got it couriered up to warrington.
the only snag with buying a discontinued pole at heavily discounted prices , is the cost of spare sections, they are not discounted,
I broke the number 4 on the shimano , it was me being clumsy, Called in tackle shop for a price and was quoted 160, so got a 25 quid overwrap done on it, The upside of buying said poles at the heavily discounted price is when you come to sell it you will nearly get your money back for what you paid for it, Had mine for a couple of years and sold it just shy of 400 quid,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
thats put me off a bit now, whats going to happen when i hit a double and it races to a snag, i have a beastmaster margin but cant carry 2 poles on a motorbike, i have no issues the elite 2 handling doubles but its had a lot of wear now. im surprised at how many have been sold around the country and only 1 person has replied to the thread

If your maver topkits are 18mm at the base they will fit the majority of other major brands of pole,
if you cant get another maver ,consider the Daiwa G50.

hawb811

Reaction score
thanks lads, the elite 2 is only 100 pounds dearer than the oculus now but i had mine for a lot less at the time, i couldnt refuse it at the price i paid but didnt use it for 6 months because everyone kept telling me it would break with a good fish on, ive had doubles on it ok but it is showing signs of wear

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
You say it is showing signs of wear, I presume you mean the male end of the sections wearing thin ? If so check the ends of the
female ends of the sections of the sections you take apart the most ie 3,4,5,6, If they are wearing thin there is a chance in the future
when you grip the sections to play a fish you could end up splitting them. At the moment I think Bob-Co are doing a 16 metre Sensas pole for £600, complete with 4/5 topkits, holdall etc. That may be worth a look,

hawb811

Reaction score
on the elite 2, fish bolted into lillies the elastic went out the other side but it had gone under a lilly tangled with a bramble then shot the other way and crack

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Elastic to soft or did you try and drag it back as it went to the lilies ? I thought the elite 2 was fitted for side pullers which may have slowed the fish down if used them, On a brighter note I think your number 5 off the Oculus will fit the elite 2 until you get new section or an overwrap, they are possibly made on the same mandril.