Bream.

rich66

Reaction score
Maybe it’s the slime or possibly the lack of fight that most show when hooked ?

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I think they are coming back in vogue with the popularity of feeder fishing on natural waters getting more popular again.

thecrow

Reaction score
I don't mind them at all as long as I am using appropriate tackle but that applies to any species. I find it strange that the slime on Bream is one thing that is often mentioned but its never mentioned about Tench that can be just as slimy, I know I would sooner be catching Bream than nothing and large Bream can be extremely difficult to catch they are no mugs.

carpinbob

Reaction score
I love fishing for bream, that's the species that I target when I'm at my club lake.
Ambition is to catch a 10lb bream.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A few years ago I suggested- "It's time we kicked out 'Speciesism' in angling!"

Singling out the humble bream in a malicious manner should be made a
'Crime against slime'

There is absolutely no place for ' Anti-skimmerism in the 21st century!

Antieslablishmentarianism has no place in modern society!

Let's all hug a bream today!

mikench

Reaction score
Bream seem to have chosen me rather than the other way round and I catch a few! It's true they do not put up much of a fight but some of the larger ones I have caught recently have done so, particularly the bronze ones for some reason! It's the slime that sticks to the line in rivulets of yuck that is not endearing but far better a bream than a blank! I think bream were the first fish I could really recognise by the take and by the response after 10 seconds; very distinctive!

john step

Reaction score
The river bream do not seem so slimy as the ones from lakes. Anyone else found this?

rayner

Reaction score
All I see is another fish, I can't say I have a dislike for any species they're all just fish.
I catch skimmers on a regular basis, I had a lovely one a couple of weeks ago.
It was only a few ounce but had a lovely face.

john step

Reaction score
The river bream do not seem so slimy as the ones from lakes. Anyone else found this?[/QUOTE
Peter, here's a fine trio of Trent Bream without any slime at all.
Prime winter flood fish that gave a good account of themselves!

I was about to exclaim that the lower one is a blooming good silver bream but the eye doesn't seem big enough. I used to catch plenty of silver bream from the Ancholne but haven't tried for some time. Nice fish.

flightliner

Reaction score
I was tempted to count the lateral lines Peter but like you thought the eye just wasn't any different to the two bigger ones.
What also fascinates me about Bream are the very wide fluctuations of body colours,
I especially like them to be two toned, some I've had numerous of.
A water I fish occasionally used to have most of its Bream a traditional bronze colouration but in recant years many of them have turned a deep black, I refer to known fish here undergoing this dramatic change!
I wonder if it's an age thing?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I reserve the right to remain silent........................................Ffs, people used to eat the effin things in medieval times, no wonder the life expectancy then was 43.........................

mikench

Reaction score
Just like that Mick! You've just put me off my tea!:) Why would you want a photo of it other than to frighten the uninitiated?:rolleyes:

flightliner

Reaction score
Just like that Mick! You've just put me off my tea!:) Why would you want a photo of it other than to frighten the uninitiated?:rolleyes:
Lol, never quite looked at it that way Mike, not a bad idea , that could leave more for the guys that really appreciate them!

Keith M

Reaction score
I don’t mind admitting that I would rather catch a cold than go after snotties
intentionally, unless they are really big Bream (at least 9 or 10lb plus) or I’m in a match; and even then I would much prefer to catch different species of fish that will put up a fight and will give me more of a sense of achievement.

In a match I don’t mind catching Bream as it’s possible to accumulate a good weight of them fairly quickly, and in a match that is normally a good thing; however if I am fishing for pleasure then I would rather catch something that excites me, and tests my ability and gives me a lot more enjoyment.

The main reasons that I dislike them is that Bream are usually very slimey and the fight they give is usually nothing to write home about.
Tench can be a bit slimey but compared to the average snotty there’s virtually no comparison at all, and at least a Tench nearly always puts up a far better fight; well the ones I’ve caught definately do anyway.

Having said that I hear from friends that do fish for them that really big Bream (9 or 10lb plus) are not nearly as slimey as their smaller brethren and can present a really good challenge, but my biggest is only just over 9lb so I reserve my judgement.

Keith

Last edited: