Video Inspiration

nottskev

Reaction score
I have looked at this stretch as well as the syndicate bit just upstream a few times, every angler that I have spoken to on both bits that was fishing for barbel said the same about the water being almost a night only water for the barbel which go very big along there as well as another very hard fighting species that grows large.

And not only the carp grow big. Last summer I heard a shout from an angler above me, asking would I like to see a bream. I walked up, and it weighed 10lb 4 oz. I don't knock the place, and it's very well run. It's just all very "uneven", for want of a better expression: in summer, fishing very well for roach and dace during the day, but with very little chance of bigger species outside hours of darkness, especially in clear water, and yielding neither through the winter.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The far bank bit was said in jest although to be fair I prob would still go given how much I detest a bad wind on an open river :)

Some fast swims need a bait dropper even when float fishing, I've found baits like hemp and maggots not even making it lower than foot even when catapulted upstream, it does work to an extent but is a pain in the proverbials lobbing it out every now and then, that's when you want someone upstream of you with a feeder,

Your right, a bait dropper would be handy in those situations. The couple of sangs there in my case are having to carry a dropper as I often go as minimal as poss and every nook and cranny is already filled, and there's a very high chance the dropper would get wedged in the boulders.
Good idea though!

theartist

Reaction score
This may sound like a daft question as I've never fished there but given that there was a tasty crease on the nearside wouldn't trotting a rod length or two out pick up more than the 5lb of fish out in the middle? Do the fish move out when there's a match on due to the disturbance?

nottskev

Reaction score
This may sound like a daft question as I've never fished there but given that there was a tasty crease on the nearside wouldn't trotting a rod length or two out pick up more than the 5lb of fish out in the middle? Do the fish move out when there's a match on due to the disturbance?

Not a daft question, but you generally have to fish further out, and current conditions don't make it any easier to catch close in. I've been quite surprised to see that one of the most successful methods in the matches now increasingly held on the stretch has been pole at 11 -13m, either with seed baits or maggot/caster fished over balled-in groundbait. When I've tried that with seeds, I've found the fish are often right below where your feed goes in, and the pole lets you put the bait in front of them time and again. I imagined they'd be more shy of the pole waving over them, but that proved less of a problem than I thought.

I find it odd that people have an urge to second-guess the presenter - not that that's what you're doing - by querying whether he'd be better off fishing differently when, and the clue is in the video title, Bolo Fishing With Long Match Rods, he is clearly presenting a demo of a particular method. I'd guess, with the Division One National on the river this year, he is pitching it to the likely interest in the river and the different methods that might be required.

mikench

Reaction score
It was another species that I meant when I said very hard fighting

Ah Graham i knew you liked bream really!:):rolleyes: Don't say the other species as I am about to order my curry and Cajun fried *******isnt on the menu!:rolleyes:

Philip

Reaction score
You can always chuck a boilie on a bolt rig out. But I'd point out - the stretch fished is 5 mins from where I live - that almost all the big fish caught come out to night anglers, and I've never personally seen a daytime barbel caught under those conditions.

I have never fished the Trent so I’ll take your word for it. However as he hooked and lost a Barbel in the video at least 1 was feeding during the day in those conditions.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have never fished the Trent so I’ll take your word for it. However as he hooked and lost a Barbel in the video at least 1 was feeding during the day in those conditions.

I don't know if he was actually trying to catch a barbel but I know I would have fished it totally different if i'd been float fishing that swim for em.
I'm surprised how he got broke off when he had such a large open swim infront of him.....him being a top match angler n'all.

Philip

Reaction score
No I dont think he was trying to catch Barbel which is a shame as clearly at least 1 was having a munch.

Maybe it was blind and didnt realize the sun was still out ? :rolleyes::wh:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No I dont think he was trying to catch Barbel which is a shame as clearly at least 1 was having a munch.

Yeah, it must have been a disabled barbel, it blew a top match angler off though lol.

nottskev

Reaction score
Just hope Mr Robbins is reading the thread. He could learn such a lot, as I'm sure we all are.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just hope Mr Robbins is reading the thread. He could learn such a lot, as I'm sure we all are.

Hang on Kev, he's a top match angler so how could he learn anything off pleasure anglers on a forum.
Tell you what though, if he really thinks barbel don't feed in bright sunshine in low clear water then he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

It's very obvious you have respect for him but I don't think he needs a knight in shinning armour ....he's a top match angler you know :).

nottskev

Reaction score
Hang on Kev, he's a top match angler so how could he learn anything off pleasure anglers on a forum.
Tell you what though, if he really thinks barbel don't feed in bright sunshine in low clear water then he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

It's very obvious you have respect for him but I don't think he needs a knight in shinning armour ....he's a top match angler you know :).

I don't quite get where you're coming from with all this carping and grizzling.

He made a video on fishing long rod and bolo, just as he has done stick, waggler, pole, feeder, etc etc.

It's quite topical, given the match scene on the Trent this summer. He doesn't pretend to be telling barbel anglers how to catch barbel. He didn't say anything about barbel and sunshine etc - that was me, pointing out to someone who wondered (despite the obvious title and purpose of the vid) why he wasn't going all out for big fish, that they rarely get caught in the daytime.

He set up two rigs - lighter and heavier - hooked and lost a barbel on the light gear, tried the heavier one and didn't get another. All perfectly reasonable. The main point was to catch what most will be fishing for in such circs - a mixed bag of smaller fish.

Nobody's telling you how to fish, and there's no reason he should have done what you say you'd have done.

So why the insults, the objections, the snide comments and the whole tone that sounds like someone got out of bed the wrong side?

You say you don't like this type of video - perhaps that's the problem? Or you've got some hang-up about match anglers?

I've no idea what you're grinding away at.

thecrow

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I didn't see a Barbel in the video, I saw him hook a larger fish that could quite easily have been one of the large Chub that inhabit that stretch, it would have been an easy mistake to make on a match rod, everything that swims in that stretch grows large so there is no knowing what it was.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't quite get where you're coming from with all this carping and grizzling.

He made a video on fishing long rod and bolo, just as he has done stick, waggler, pole, feeder, etc etc.

It's quite topical, given the match scene on the Trent this summer. He doesn't pretend to be telling barbel anglers how to catch barbel. He didn't say anything about barbel and sunshine etc - that was me, pointing out to someone who wondered (despite the obvious title and purpose of the vid) why he wasn't going all out for big fish, that they rarely get caught in the daytime.

He set up two rigs - lighter and heavier - hooked and lost a barbel on the light gear, tried the heavier one and didn't get another. All perfectly reasonable. The main point was to catch what most will be fishing for in such circs - a mixed bag of smaller fish.

Nobody's telling you how to fish, and there's no reason he should have done what you say you'd have done.

So why the insults, the objections, the snide comments and the whole tone that sounds like someone got out of bed the wrong side?

You say you don't like this type of video - perhaps that's the problem? Or you've got some hang-up about match anglers?

I've no idea what you're grinding away at.

Blimey Kev, I think you and Robinson should get a room !

silvers

Reaction score

aside from the fact that the video was made to promote the rods and method of fishing - it may be a surprise that some people actually prefer to get 50 bites from small fish rather than wait for the chance to get one lunker?

silvers

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I didn't see a Barbel in the video, I saw him hook a larger fish that could quite easily have been one of the large Chub that inhabit that stretch, it would have been an easy mistake to make on a match rod, everything that swims in that stretch grows large so there is no knowing what it was.

I dunno - the fight from barbel and large chub are completely different ..... on a match rod you'd know if you had it on for more than 5 seconds ...... with a pretty high degree of accuracy (9 times out of 10 IMO)

thecrow

Reaction score
I dunno - the fight from barbel and large chub are completely different ..... on a match rod you'd know if you had it on for more than 5 seconds ...... with a pretty high degree of accuracy (9 times out of 10 IMO)

Cant agree with that having caught thousands of Barbel and a large amount of big chub on several rivers, a chub of 6+ will if near snags or in clear water give a good impression of a Barbel, individual fish react differently to being hooked.

Its perfectly possible to lead a Barbel like a dog on a lead with very little pressure on them Barbel don't seem to know what to do, Chub however in my experience do not behave like this.

There is always the possibility that it wasn't a Barbel or a Chub but one of the other species that grow large in that stretch.

Philip

Reaction score
Sounds like there is some sort of consensus at least ...everyone seems to agree it could have been anything including a Barbel feeding in daylight on that stretch.

aside from the fact that the video was made to promote the rods and method of fishing - it may be a surprise that some people actually prefer to get 50 bites from small fish rather than wait for the chance to get one lunker?

Totally agree, I dont think anyone was doubting this, certainly not me anyway.