Upside down floats?

dicky123

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Chubber floats, bottom end only. If so and when, I'm interested in trying it, shallow swims I'd guess with biggish baits?

Rich.

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to use short dumpy Chubber floats attached bottom only when I used to trot small shallow streams near Watford ‘Trent Trotter style’ with a shot just large enough to drag bottom placed on my line above the float trying to slow it’s progress through the swim a little; and with the float being attached to a loop of line.

Keith

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Keith: 'Trent Trotters' - is this the float possibly made famous by Billy Lane? I short stubby float?

Or am I getting confused and thing of something else......

I'm sure binka will have a set made up by weeks end, if not sooner!

(In 'search' Peter Jacobs mentions them back in 2006, I believe and suggests an alternative method of producing one.......??)

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Ultra floats used to market them with the Billy Lane name on them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If memory seves me correctly I think Billy Lane said that he was fishing an Avon type float that either got tangled or broken but developed the method from that point.

It is the penultimate chapter in his famous float book and well worth reading.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
If anyone is interested...............

If you search 'The Trent Trotter and Chubber by Billy Lane' which is a thread I started back in 2007, it offers a little more information on the float and how/when it was used. All of this based on info from the Billy Lane book Peter mentions...Others, including flightliner also offer alternatives on the same thread, all of which might help the OP.

I did eventually get round to making some of the Trotters based on what the book told me and in similar materials AND from additional info offered by another FM'er who sent me additional measurements. (Cannot recall who it was, though!!).

Anyway, well worth the OP getting hold of the book if possible.......

Hope this helps - someone!

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to use short dumpy Chubber floats attached bottom only when I used to trot small shallow streams near Watford ‘Trent Trotter style’ with a shot just large enough to drag bottom placed on my line above the float trying to slow it’s progress through the swim a little; and with the float being attached to a loop of line.

Keith

I couldn’t remember where I first read about the Trent Trotter as I have a bookcase full of Angling books; but the above posts (re: Billy Lane) reminded me; it was Billy Lanes book entitled ’Float Fishing, Tackle and Techniques for still and running water’ from the modern Angling Series published in 1976 (and which I have in front of me now) where I first read about the Trent Trotter.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Just as an aside I use Drennan Chubber floats bottom end only when livebaiting for Perch on still waters.

B

binka

I'm sure binka will have a set made up by weeks end, if not sooner!

They're on my radar Tony along with some Thames Roach floats, I've just got to get this lot of stillwater floats finished and I will probably have a look at knocking a few up.

I'm two dozen floats into what was originally going to be a set of 32, it then looked likely to be 36 and it now looks like being 40 :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've used them attatched top and bottom and they where ok in a choppy glide, best if I left a lot of the top showing so it was visible as it bobbed up and down in the chop. If i'd only had it atattched by its botom I wouldn't have had much real control of it at all and it would have been a case of it going with the flow so to speak. I would imagine the hole in the bottom of the float is a sort of fail safe so you don't loose it if it comes out of the rubbers and not so much to use it bottom end only.....?

rayner

Reaction score
The only up side down Floats I remember were wagglers fixed top end only through an eye rather than float rubbers.
It was used when fish, mostly roach were out of range of the normal puller sticks.
A good way of catching fish, I loved fishing puller and upside down floats, just another method that's too difficult for me now. Ailments are a bitch especially when time is running out.