What reel for Trotting

silvers

Reaction score
Sam has given a pretty comprehensive answer from my perspective .....
I use Mitchell Match for majority of top & bottom and waggler work through the year.
original ABU 507 closed face for winter roach fishing
an Okuma Sheffield for fun in the summer and for flooded rivers, edging through overdepth

a lot of my fishing is with very light floats and on-the drop, so centrepins are less useful for me

daniel121

Reaction score
Over the years I've learned that fishing is largely about confidence and in reality alot of it is in the mind. I've used centerpins and swore they made me catch more fish, the same with closed faced reels.

Nowadays I think its the angler that catches the fish, its the little tricks, nick and macks they they do, the kit is simply a product to assist him with his task.

Nowadays I use an old type Daiwa TDR for trotting, the new type are no good the line goes round the back of the spool. It works for me and yes I have used a Mitchell Match, allcock aerial etc in the past, but my TDR is my weapon of choice nowadays. :D

The bad one

Reaction score
Phil, a centrepin is way different to a fly reel, surely you know that already?

Regarding their virtues, lets meet up for a days trotting and i'll show you the virtues in action next to a fixed spool :).

How ya doin anyhow....y'ewd scrote :D.
Ian I've gone to the very dark side ......no not carp fishing that would be a step to far....... foam thrashing :help::)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ian I've gone to the very dark side ......no not carp fishing that would be a step to far....... foam thrashing :help::)

What, your doin the washing up ?

To be honest Phil, I don't blame you bud, it's a form of fishing I keep threatening to have a serious bash at!

Philip

Reaction score
What are people's preference for a Trotting reel?.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I first started trotting with fixed spool reels and they were fine. A few years ago however when the price of Centerpins started to drop I got one and really enjoyed using it so use that for most of my trotting now.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
When trotting casually, for old times sake and fun I use a centre pin. When I mean business it's a Diawa 125M for me. Pete.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I do favour a centrepin reel myself for trotting but having found the Shimano Stradics some years ago I will often use on of those instead.

The reason being that I do not have long fingers so found trying to control the line coming off of the spool with other f/s reels.

The Stradics seem to have a short distance from the reel fitting to the spool, so make ths a lot easier for me.

However, if the conditions allow then I opt for the centrepin everytime . . . . . maybe because I just like the older styles.

Keith M

Reaction score
I usually prefer to use a centrepin for trotting, but if I’m fishing a wide river or one with very little flow then I revert to using either my old Mitchell Match or a closed face reel, or a Shimano stradic if im using heavier lines.

Back in the late 70’s after reading a book in which Dave Stewart mentioned that he used an Abu Record 2100 multiplier for trotting for Roach occasionally just for fun, my mate and I tried using the tiny Abu Record 2100 multiplier (see pic) for trotting for Chub on the Kennet and they worked really well; although I haven’t used it since.

Keith

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
For trotting, it's got to be a pin, followed by an ABU closed face reel for those windy days.