What reel for Trotting

lutra

Reaction score
As a northerner sat on the bank of a southern river, I shouldn’t think southerners know what trotting is. I fish Stillwaters with more flow.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I think Ian means before breakfast knowing that I'm an early starter......................:wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bet was interesting

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's a small abu and it works great to be honest. I used it on rivers as they flowed into the sea whilst trotting for bass. No reason why you couldn't use one on fresh water if you wanted to other than it might look a little odd.
I've use fixed spol, closed faced reels for trotting but the best tool for the job is a centrepin....imo.

chrissh

Reaction score
I use both a centre pin for grayling & roach. anything bigger fixed spool (still haven’t got my confidence for bigger fish on the pin yet)

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I like to use a centerpin reel and have a preference for a true pin over a bearing reel.

The bad one

Reaction score
My current float fishing reel which I use for trotting when I do it, is a Shimano aero GT 5010 (baitrunner).Centrepin types reels as far as I'm concerned belong on the Fly rod. And before somebody attempt to bestow the virtues of them to me, don't bother. I grew up with them and learnt how to fish with them, as most did back in the 1950s and couldn't wait to get rid of them when I got enough money together to buy a decant fix spool reel.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are pros and cons to any choice of trotting reel. I own, and use all three of the sensible options. However, I tend to use centrepins the most, for no better reason than I enjoy using them. I'll still use a fixed spool reel on occasion, mostly when I'm travelling light and wish to be able to switch between top and bottom floats and wagglers as the need arises. I rarely use a closed face reel these days, though I used to love them.

I won't even try to tell someone else what they should use, it's just a matter of personal preference.
However, when picking a standard fixed spool reel, look for as wide a diameter spool (without going daft).

When it comes to pins, don't be scared to use a line guard, especially as a beginner. It makes a more difficult proposition slightly less awkward to use in less than perfect conditions. It can also be beneficial to go for a wider diameter reel. A sub 4" reel (or a bigger reel with a deep arbour) can be interminably slow on the retrieve. Not a big issue if you intend to trot fairly short distances, but once you get beyond thirty yards or so it can get annoying. Pins take a bit of practice to get the best from them. If someone has never trotted at all, I'd suggest that the basics are better learned with a reel type that they are already familiar with.

Closed face reels can be incredibly easy to use, especially for a beginner. However, if the particular reel you use is prone to behind the bell housing tangles, they can be more of a PITA than any centrepin.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
On the rare times I do fish a river it is an Abu closed face or Daiwa 1657DM,

There is a stretch of the Shropshire Union canal near me that has a good flow on it when the locks open,
it is possible to fish a flat float on the pole when this happens,

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My current float fishing reel which I use for trotting when I do it, is a Shimano aero GT 5010 (baitrunner).Centrepin types reels as far as I'm concerned belong on the Fly rod. And before somebody attempt to bestow the virtues of them to me, don't bother. I grew up with them and learnt how to fish with them, as most did back in the 1950s and couldn't wait to get rid of them when I got enough money together to buy a decant fix spool reel.

Phil, a centrepin is way different to a fly reel, surely you know that already?

Regarding their virtues, lets meet up for a days trotting and i'll show you the virtues in action next to a fixed spool :).

How ya doin anyhow....y'ewd scrote :D.

dicky123

Reaction score
Treecutter.

As a few have said this is one of the most asked questions on the forum. Try looking in the archive for information, it's what its for. You will be able to take your time and read the threads available, loads of them.

Rich.