Blenheim Palace lake

tomino2112

Reaction score
I apologise for posting this here, probably should be in different category but I know most people check this and would love to get some info.

Anyone fished Blenheim palace lake recently (this year) ? I have found only old info where it seems that 10+ years ago it was great place to fish, but since then it got shallow and weedy and not very enjoyable to fish. Last reports I could find were from about 2 years ago.

I have also found some info that they made up budget to restore the lake to its glory just recently but cannot find any information if that has been done or when it should be done.

I love the place, been there many times even did one triathlon there but didn't know you could fish there, definitely sounds like a nice session!

Anyone fished this place or knows some updates?

Thank you!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The last time we fished there, about 4 years ago, there were many complaints about the possibility that many of the fish had been removed and sold.

Also a lot of our group complained about the signal crayfish that had overtken the place.

I am unsure if these problems have been overcome or not, but, as I said, this was 4 years ago and we have not been back since

barbelboi

Reaction score
The last time we fished there, about 4 years ago, there were many complaints about the possibility that many of the fish had been removed and sold.

Also a lot of our group complained about the signal crayfish that had overtken the place.

I am unsure if these problems have been overcome or not, but, as I said, this was 4 years ago and we have not been back since

Yes Peter, I remember the day well. A lot of very good anglers there and very little caught.............

chrissh

Reaction score
I read that the lake will be closed Sept. 28 and for a long time after until the lake is brought back from the brink of death. Anyone else hear this?

Coarse Fishing in Oxfordshire - Blenheim Palace

Coarse Fishing
Planned closure of Blenheim Palace fishery

With sadness we must announce the closure of the fishery on the Blenheim Palace Lake from 28th September 2018 for the foreseeable future. Many who have fished the lakes over the many decades will have fond memories of their experience at Blenheim Palace, but in recent years it has not been without its challenges from wildlife and regular algal blooms as a result of the large amounts of silt accumulated in the Queen's Pool.

With these challenges in mind we are soon to embark on an ambitious project, alongside the Environment Agency, Natural England and Historic England, to restore the lakes with an initial phase and drawdown of the lakes beginning this year and a main dredge in 2020. The drawdown of water in October will allow inspection of the vital infrastructure within the lakes and around Vanbrugh’s Grand Bridge which will begin a restoration program also in 2020 lasting a few years.

We plan, as part of the dredging and repair projects, to rebalance fish stocks within the lakes and will reassess the future of the lake’s fishery after 2020 as part of that process.

Once again this is not a decision we have taken lightly as so many will have such fond memories of fishing at Blenheim Palace, but we do so knowing anglers will sympathise with challenges we face and understand that the restoration of the Queen’s Pool is in the long-term interests of all who enjoy the Blenheim Palace Lake.

tomino2112

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, definitely good to know whats the situation!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Let's just hope the proposed plan is a success and at some time in the future it might be restored to its former glory where huge tench and pike abound.
As to whether some of the older members on FM will be around, to once again experience wonderful fishing in wonderful surroundings is quite another matter..................

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think that's it finished. Even if this plan goes ahead I cannot see it ever opening for fishing again. I'd love to know how they plan to deal with the crayfish....there must be millions in there.

Sad. I never fished it in its heyday but it was a lovely place to fish.