Replacement Line

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Just a word on Maxima; I've used it for more years than I can remember and NEVER had a problem with coiling. Anything from 2lb to 12lbs bs has always been fine for me, and if coiling occurs then i can only assume it has been spooled incorrectly...

In the heavier breaking strains I use the John Wilson method with new stuff, which is tying the end to a tree and putting at least 20m under strain for 30 secs which does the trick time and time again. Best read about the JW method rather than take my word for it!

No doubt it works and leaves the line supple even at 12lb bs...........................................worth a try, BUT I still suggest the line has been spooled incorrectly IMHO

Reaction score
Alright if you have a tree and twenty yards of space alongside handy,lol.I would have thought a lot of problems coiling wise are caused by line on spools not being used,creating the memory issues.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Am I stating the obvious here if I say the tree method can be applied the day before - back garden, park, in fact anywhere a tree stands!! Hang on a minute, a fence or anything solid will do just as well lol..

I agree line left unused will always be a problem, but even under such circumstances (I don't use my heavier stuff too often as I'm essentially a float fisherman) running out enough line and stretching it slightly still works well used in conjunction with a Gardner Spin Doctor. In addition, over spooling will usually let coils drop off the spool so for heavier lines I don't go anywhere near the spool rim.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that the method I use cannot be bettered, but without fear of contradiction it always works for me, regardless of bs. No way could I fish with coiled line!!

ps Something else to consider is the CONSTANT use of baitrunner reels when 'line twist' comes into the equation and this makes heavier line (on occasion) difficult to deal with, but said Gardner Spin Doctor sorts this out well enough......

other experts will have different ideas, though..

Last edited:

shane99

Reaction score
Another here for Sensor.

Gardner spin doctor, I could only find the yellow one, way too heavy really for light line, would anyone know where to get the smallest one ?

mikench

Reaction score
In the heavier breaking strains I use the John Wilson method with new stuff, which is tying the end to a tree and putting at least 20m under strain for 30 secs which does the trick time and time again.

I have just tried this and I shall see next week if it improves matters! I tied it to the garage door at the end of the garage and walked the length of the drive ! I do have a spin doctor! I spool all my reels the same way so I am consistently right or wrong!!

Philip

Reaction score
Another here for Sensor.

Gardner spin doctor, I could only find the yellow one, way too heavy really for light line, would anyone know where to get the smallest one ?

I may be wrong here but a distant memory I think the machine they used to produce the small one broke down and it was too expensive to replace so basically they stopped making the small size. So it will have to be a second hand one if you can find it.

Got to add however that I really dont like the whole idea of the spin docter..its too inexact..how can you know your not putting twist back into your line the other way ? and the contact twisting back & forth on its own axis cant be doing the line any good.

john step

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I can get rid of line twist by the long grass method. Walk out pulling the line of with the bale arm open. Walk through long grass. 100 yards if necessary. Reel back in through the long grass. Done.

Reaction score
I have a Drennan 4000 fd reel,lovely reel to use,but awful for line twist,I use shimano and daiwa without having an issue,shame as i like the reel,this is with several different lines,funny enough it's worse with the slider,God only knows why.Just to add,the bail roller is working perfectly,the reason I mentioned this is it was my first thought.