Replacement Line

Jelster

Reaction score
I wan to replace line on 4 of my reels, it's all a couple of years old now and they all have 2 spools each.

My Baitrunners - I want 12lbs & 8lbs
My Feeder & Float reels - 3lbs & 6lbs.

I do some light river fishing with a feeder & and Avon style rods. My Carp rods are old Shakey SKP2001's with a 2.5TC. I'm not a big specimen hunter, and I tend not to use huge leads (although the method feeder can get a bit heavy).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Daiwa sensor would be my choice. Bulk spools are cheap and will last you some time.

daniel121

Reaction score
I'm not a major fan of maxima over 4lb b/s but I do use 6lb maxima on occasions. The reason for this is the coiling.

I feel you are more from the specimen fraternity than I however I will recommend maxima for your 3lb float work, Diawa tournament ST for your 6lb feeder line. Then I can give great advice for the remaining two breaking strains.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another decent mainline is bayer perlon but it's three quid for 100 meters so that soo mounts up if your filling spools. I find it is one of the better anti tangle lines (if there is such a thing).

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Gardner Hydroflo for the 3 and 6 would be my choice.Comes on 300 m spools for around a fiver. For the heavier stuff I dont think it matters so much....personally I'd use Pro Gold but that probably means bulk spools and might work out a bit expensive. Supremely reliable line though.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For the baitrunners I'd opt for Shimano Technium but while it is not the cheapest I have never had any problems with it. You can get it in 8lbs B/S and 12 lbs B/S

For the lighter lines I'd opt for either Maxima or Pro Gold . . . both are well tried and tested over the years, but like to many things in fishing, line choice is really a very personal thing

Jelster

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. If I remember correctly, my Carp reels have Maxima on them, or at least one spool. The two other reels have a "white" lighter line, and again I think the heavier is Maxima.

I have used Perlon, but not for many years. The Diawa Sensor sounds like it would be a good fit on the baitrunners, and I'll check out the other suggestions for the lighter stuff.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. If I remember correctly, my Carp reels have Maxima on them, or at least one spool. The two other reels have a "white" lighter line, and again I think the heavier is Maxima.

I have used Perlon, but not for many years. The Diawa Sensor sounds like it would be a good fit on the baitrunners, and I'll check out the other suggestions for the lighter stuff.

I don't now if it's of any use to you but my go to lines are 4 and six pound sensor and i'd reccommend it without hesitation. If I wanted a lighter (lower diameter bottom) I simply add a length of silstar matchman or prestons.

john step

Reaction score
Thats the trouble with multiple reels. The cost can mount up. As stated Sensor or similar in bulk would fit the bill but I don't want to start Sensor Wars again on here. I agree that 2 years is about time you changed it. Personally I would do it sooner than that.

mikench

Reaction score
I use sensor following recommendations on this forum predominantly in 6lb for feeder work ( as today) and 4lb for float work! It works!

Even the two fellow anglers watching my antics today asked what my line was and were amazed!

For heavier lines but with tiny diameter I have used DIP chromium and I found it very good indeed!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Thats the trouble with multiple reels. The cost can mount up. As stated Sensor or similar in bulk would fit the bill but I don't want to start Sensor Wars again on here. I agree that 2 years is about time you changed it. Personally I would do it sooner than that.

I'd agree that line that gets a lot of use needs changing every now and then but it depends on how much use is a lot, the quality of the line in question and the venues fished. Its false economy to do otherwise and I'd never fish with line that I had the slightest doubt about....be that brand or condition.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use sensor following recommendations on this forum predominantly in 6lb for feeder work ( as today) and 4lb for float work! It works!

Even the two fellow anglers watching my antics today asked what my line was and were amazed!

For heavier lines but with tiny diameter I have used DIP chromium and I found it very good indeed!

You did well landing that carp inbetween lilleis Mike, did use sensor(6lb) ?)

mikench

Reaction score
I certainly did! The two carp anglers who enquiried as to rod and line were amazed as indeed was I !:rolleyes:

Philip

Reaction score
Another vote for Sensor on the 3 heavier spools and Drennan float fish in either 2.6 or 3.2 on the float spool.

john step

Reaction score
Just resurrected this thread so as not to impinge on HDYGO where Mike is wondering about his line.
I won a bulk ESP carp line of 10lb on a raffle and as I ran out of SENSOR I filled up with that.

I must say it performed OK on my recent barbel trip with some real belters. However it is thicker than the equivalent Sensor
and feels more wiry. I shall be ordering a bulk spool of you know what.

Philip

Reaction score
Its interesting you resurrected this thread John because since my earlier post I came across a spool of Berkley Big Game just recently that I had forgotten I had & stuck it on a rod. I am currently using Sensor having switched to it a while back from BG which I used for many years as BG was becoming harder to find.

Sensors been fine but after exended usage I have to say as soon as I started to use BG again I noticed straight away the difference and I really do prefer it. If I can still find it at the same price I think I will switch back. I should point out I am talking about the heavier strains here ..so 15lb

There are some other really good lines out there but I am not going to pay the price they want for them.

Last edited: