Line Advice

Toby31

Reaction score
Been given some fishing gear and was wondering in the box was some pole rigs made up how long do these last was told their new rigs never used but maybe 5 years old. Also given to reels already spooled up same question new line never used. Should I discard the line and redo.

daniel121

Reaction score
I would personally never use a rig/line I did not know the history of. That said the answer to your question is - as long as you keep line in the dark out the way of direct sunlight and not tightly wound on a small diameter spool, it should last almost indefinitely.

If I ever wish to check my line I re-spool it, if it feels rough then I will bin it. If its smooth ill happily use line that I brought several years ago. :thumbs:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To be perfectly safe I would replace the line on the reels before using them.

As for the pole rigs it is a more difficult question, and if they have been stored in the dark then I'd probably test a few to see if they have retained their original breaking stains.

In any event I'd replace the hooks and hooklengths as I'd know then they have been tied properly

stillwater blue

Reaction score
as long as you keep line in the dark out the way of direct sunlight and not tightly wound on a small diameter spool, it should last almost indefinitely.

Not sure I agree with that. I've just thrown away a few spools of reflo powerline that where around 2 years old and a spool of maxima that was around 4 years old, all the line was snapping like cotton. It was kept in an old chest of draws so kept in the dark.

The simple answer is to give the line a pull and a jerk and see if it snaps.

Prometheus1

Reaction score
"I would personally never use a rig/line I did not know the history of. "

You would never go fishing then as from manufacture to when it get's to you there is no way of knowing how old it is or how it's been stored.
That would include: main lines,hook lines, pre-tieds etc

daniel121

Reaction score
Not sure I agree with that. I've just thrown away a few spools of reflo powerline that where around 2 years old and a spool of maxima that was around 4 years old, all the line was snapping like cotton. It was kept in an old chest of draws so kept in the dark.

The simple answer is to give the line a pull and a jerk and see if it snaps.

Ill be honest I've got maxima (600m) in 4lb breaking strain I must of brought 6 years ago its still fine? Its a little like everything in fishing mate, personal and what works for you

@Prometheus1

This is true however I did not mean the entire history from manufacture. I simply meant the history of its use, it could of caught 200lb of fish or it could never of been used ;)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It could be Sensor for all you know.:eek:mg:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Ill be honest I've got maxima (600m) in 4lb breaking strain I must of brought 6 years ago its still fine? Its a little like everything in fishing mate, personal and what works for you

It's one of life's mysteries, the same draw had a 250m spool of 4lb maxima that I bought at the same time as the 600m spool of 6lb. The 6lb snapped like cotton where as the 4lb spool was perfick. As the Americans say 'go figure'

daniel121

Reaction score
It's one of life's mysteries, the same draw had a 250m spool of 4lb maxima that I bought at the same time as the 600m spool of 6lb. The 6lb snapped like cotton where as the 4lb spool was perfick. As the Americans say 'go figure'

As Prometheus1 pointed out we never known the full history of line, It might have something to do with what happened to it before you brought the line?

or

Maybe the difference is in how we individually view it? I have had a "bad spool" of line before, I just put it down to manufacturing QA fault, where as another may put it down to deterioration over time.

Who's right - who knows?

Reaction score
Many tackleshops have line in racks open to light damage,then we buy it and keep it in a draw for two years,damage was already done....

Another Dave

Reaction score
Many tackleshops have line in racks open to light damage,then we buy it and keep it in a draw for two years,damage was already done....

Unless it's next to the window i can't see the UV levels being very high at all indoors.