Braid plus mono

Andy M

Reaction score
I am about to give trotting with a centre pin a go for the first time and on looking for guidance on the internet have come across videos in which anglers recommend using braid as a main line with a mono or fluorocarbon leader. I would be interested in members views on the pros and cons of all mono versus braid with mono leader.

daniel121

Reaction score
I certainly would not recommend braid for trotting a float stick or waggler.

I'd use a stretchy reel line like maxima, a lot of people will tell you, you need a floating line for the stick float however I've been using original 2lb maxima for more years than I wish to count up and I won't be switching now.

I use braid only as a feeder line and in rare circumstances, ie distance bream fishing

sam vimes

Reaction score
Due to proper floating lines being relatively thin on the ground, I have given braid a fairly extensive trial over the past few years. However, I have now largely gone back to mono, specifically the Dave Harrell Pro Float.

There are things to be aware of if you try braid. It's very unforgiving of a rod. Zero stretch will cause you problems with the wrong rod. A rod that was perfectly good using mono can seem pretty poor when using braid. You may find that you have to significantly alter you striking and playing style. With the wrong rod and/no allowance made, you may find yourself losing more than the odd fish that you'd ordinarily not expect to.

Another thing you may find is that braid can be a pain in less than optimal conditions. It floats so well, but can end up being picked up off the surface of the water by the lightest of winds. This isn't a problem when the wind direction is in your favour, or it's very light, but that's rarely the case in the real world.

The plus sides in comparison to mono are how well it floats and how direct the control of a float can be.

The only real answer is to give it a try and see how it suits your style and your gear. With the right rod, I loved using braid, provided the weather conditions were fairly benign.

daniel121

Reaction score
You can always make your line float by treating it with Petroleum Jelly should you wish.

sam vimes

Reaction score
You can always make your line float by treating it with Petroleum Jelly should you wish.

You can, but there should be no need to treat lines at all if you buy the right ones in the first place. I've got zero interest in messing around trying to make lines float or sink.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
....and your saying, Sam, that the Dave Harrell line is your choice, having tried others? Or, do other lines fit the bill but you happen to like this particular one the best?

(I use Maxima at the moment, but always willing to try something if it comes via recommendation..)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've used power pro and berkley braid. I have fished it straight through and also used a mono bottom attatched via a smaĺ swivel.
I prefer to use mono though, I just prefer it. My choice of monos for trotting are bayer perlon and daiwa sensor, both float very well although sensor is lower diameter for B/S and is very competitively priced if you buy bulk spools. I like fishing them in 4 to 6lb straight through but if I want a low diameter bottom I go with silstar match and prestons power.
I've never used Dave Harrel mono but no doubt i'll give it a try in future.

sam vimes

Reaction score
....and your saying, Sam, that the Dave Harrell line is your choice, having tried others? Or, do other lines fit the bill but you happen to like this particular one the best?

(I use Maxima at the moment, but always willing to try something if it comes via recommendation..)

I chopped and changed trying the usual floating suspects, Bayer Perlon, Silstar Matchteam and Drennan Floatfish, before DH Pro Float appeared on the market. I preferred to stick with braid until I tried Pro Float. Most of my centrepins now have Pro Float on them and, as I go, the reel spools with floating line on them will be migrated to Pro Float. For sinking lines I generally stick to Maxima or Preston Power Max (the blue tinged version).

Richox12

Reaction score
I've used braid on the waggler very successfully in the past. I don't do it now simply because I don't do that style of fishing. It was a case of tying the braid to some nylon via a waterknot - say 0.16mm or 0.14mm - and make up the waggler rig on the nylon. It was for catching lots of small (1oz - 4oz) roach when you seemed to get a million bites. You cast slightly past your feed and then tightened up and only 'strike' gently. You could get 2, 3 and 4 bites per cast (Obviously you just wanted to hook the first one !) and with braid you didn't pull the float too far and you hit the bites easier/quicker than with nylon. All you needed was a soft rod.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I chopped and changed trying the usual floating suspects, Bayer Perlon, Silstar Matchteam and Drennan Floatfish, before DH Pro Float appeared on the market. I preferred to stick with braid until I tried Pro Float. Most of my centrepins now have Pro Float on them and, as I go, the reel spools with floating line on them will be migrated to Pro Float. For sinking lines I generally stick to Maxima or Preston Power Max (the blue tinged version).

I'm intrigued by this stuff as I am almost out of my favourite floating line and dont get on with the likes of Bayer, Silstar and FF [ which is OK but not special imo]. I am seriously out of touch atm and had not heard of Pro Float.

The diameters look good. What is the stretch like ? I do like a little bit of "give" in my lines.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The diameters look good. What is the stretch like ? I do like a little bit of "give" in my lines.

The diameters are ok and there's a bit of stretch in it, without it being spongey. It's a fairly standard mono in many respects, but it floats well, doesn't seem to damage too easily and is a reasonable price (300m for £8). The only thing I can't really comment on is memory. As yet, I've only used it on centrepins, which rarely show it up.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve been using Drennan Float fish and very occasionally Suffix for most of my float fishing (both on still and running water) but I’m going to try the Dave Harrel Pro Float line on one of my centrepins and give it a try as it does sound good.

Keith

daniel121

Reaction score
Plus one S-Kippy, I like a bit of give in my reel lines. I must be lucky I have never had much issue with maxima.

I do see the advantages to braid for distance waggler fishing for small fish mind you, ive just never used it I can't see me trying it now. Maxima seems to do a good job of floating when I use it, unless you use washing up liquid

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Plus one S-Kippy, I like a bit of give in my reel lines. I must be lucky I have never had much issue with maxima.

I do see the advantages to braid for distance waggler fishing for small fish mind you, ive just never used it I can't see me trying it now. Maxima seems to do a good job of floating when I use it, unless you use washing up liquid

I was looking for a line for trotting with a pin particularly. I will try some of this Pro Float stuff as my birthday present pin needs some line. Maxima I always found to sink like a brick but I've not used it for years.

daniel121

Reaction score
Your not on your own there mate almost everyone says the same thing. Maybe I have greasy hands I dunno and I'm too old to care now :D all I know is I have no bother with it I can make it float or sink easy depending on what I want it too do, so that's good enough for me

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I use FF and its fine & does the job but like someone else said its not a sort of standout line so i too may try pro float just to see & as it also seems to be reasonably priced too...i think someone said £8 for 300m

Any tips on best place to get it on line ?

Another Dave

Reaction score
I use FF and its fine & does the job but like someone else said its not a sort of standout line so i too may try pro float just to see & as it also seems to be reasonably priced too...i think someone said £8 for 300m

Any tips on best place to get it on line ?

I got mine from Matchman Supplies Dave Harrell Angling Pro Float Fishing Line. I think TackleUK were reasonable on the postage too. Harrell himself wanted £4.90 for licking the stamps.

It does float well.

edsurf

Reaction score
Sam I tried the pro float 5lb and it snapped twice when tighten a grinner knot to a swivel , I then had a snag pull and it snapped above the swivel with a 3.8 hook length, I can snap it pretty easy with my hand just a little pressure which I cant do with 3.2 float fish, I think i must have a doggy batch it feels brittle, was looking forward to using this line , but gone back to float fish which truth be know has never let me down .

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam I tried the pro float 5lb and it snapped twice when tighten a grinner knot to a swivel , I then had a snag pull and it snapped above the swivel with a 3.8 hook length, I can snap it pretty easy with my hand just a little pressure which I cant do with 3.2 float fish, I think i must have a doggy batch it feels brittle, was looking forward to using this line , but gone back to float fish which truth be know has never let me down .

Needless to say, I've never had any issues like that on any of the four reels I have loaded with Pro-Float. I've yet to have the mainline break in any way when using it. However, I don't use grinner knots.