Pondwood Lakes for Cats?

Jelster

Reaction score
Anybody fished Pondwood Lakes?

I'm interested in having a go for some Catfish, as I've never caught one before. This place isn't too far from where I live (about 20 minutes) and as I can only fish during the day at present, a suitable commercial works for me.

Would be interested if anybody have fished Lake 1 for Carp or Cats and how they got on.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've fished it. Its quite prolific but no monsters in there and it can get busy particularly at the weekend. Plenty of carp in there too. Its not very big...."snug" would be a fair description and it is a bit swimmy.

If you just want to catch a cat and arent too fussed about how big it is then Pondwood is the place to go. That's the reason I went there.

You'll need proper gear though as even the small ones pull like nothing you'll have ever hooked before.

Last edited:

Jelster

Reaction score
I've got a pair of 2.75TC Carp rods, was going to respool with 15lb mainline, and use the mainline for the hooklinks too (it says no braid...). Will 15lb be OK or do I need something stronger?

Do you mind if I ask what you used for bait? As boilies are not allowed, so I figured on either a fishy pellet (Halibut?) soaking in some Krill dip, or maybe a piece of Mackerel...

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I've got a pair of 2.75TC Carp rods, was going to respool with 15lb mainline, and use the mainline for the hooklinks too (it says no braid...). Will 15lb be OK or do I need something stronger?

Do you mind if I ask what you used for bait? As boilies are not allowed, so I figured on either a fishy pellet (Halibut?) soaking in some Krill dip, or maybe a piece of Mackerel...

Depends upon how big the cats go and how snaggy the place is. I've cats to 60lb on carp tackle, I wasn't in much control for a while but it's doable if they can run. If you can't use braid I'd be tempted by fluoro as it's more abrasion resistant than standard mono, just don't apply side strain as every time you apply side strain you drag the hooklink across the pads.

Big halibut pellets would be my start point, I'd fish a longish hoolink and add a bit of foam to the hook to balance the hookbait. Due to the shape of the mouth cats can't pick individual items off the bottom they feed by creating a vacuum and sucking food into their mouths, a balanced bait is easier for them to pick up.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I fished the place for carp many years ago when the place was owned by a jockey ( a bit of useless information!) and the day ticket was £8 or £4 after 4pm.
In those days it was a great place for catching carp on floating crust and I took my share of fish from Lake 1 ans 2 but only up to 28lbs or so. Most fish were in the 8 to 15lb class but in the shallow water they certainly gave a good account of themselves.
I rarely fished the place at weekends as even in those days it was quite busy and the margin fish moved out into the middle for peace and quiet!

Not a bad place to fish midweek with only the distant drone of the M4 to spoil the quiet. From memory they also dug a 'river ' sort of thing but I gave up on the place at that time.

ps I also took a fair amount of fish on free lined luncheon, mainly casting to fish I could see......

Perhaps it's worth a walk round visit before you fish it??

Good luck!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Popped up medicinal leeches, not cheap mind.

No they're not and I wouldn't waste them on the Pondwood cats though there are one or two serious dudes down there that do. I dont know why....the biggest cat in there is ( allegedly) 50lb though I have my doubts about that. More typically they run from kittens of 5-6 lb to upper 20's/low 30s which is quite big enough for me thank you very much. Its a good place to pop your catfish cherry.

There is a place about a mile further on that has them to 90lb and where the average size is much bigger. I've not fished it as I'm not sure I could handle anything of that size....or that I'd particularly want to try.

Last edited:

Jelster

Reaction score
Well I popped down there today to have a look round.

Lake 1 was busy, 3 swims taken by a Dad, Grandad & 2 boys. While I was there one of the lads got a Mirror about 8lbs, the Grandad a Cat around 10lbs, and the Dad got a common about 12lbs.

A guy fishing a couple of swims down got a Cat which went just over 18lbs.

I was only there for about 30 minutes....

So, as my procedure was cancelled today, I'll be looking at getting down there next week sometime.