Derwent, Rother or other?

jon atkinson

Reaction score
My beloved & I have booked a cottage in the Peak District for a week next month & Lord be praised I'm allowed to take a rod :). Given my seeming inability to travel remotely lightly for still waters in conjunction with 1 car, 2 people & 2 dogs, I'm hoping to spend a few hours trotting for whatever comes along. The cottage we've booked is in a village called Curbar, not far from Bakewell - on the map, the river Derwent looks close enough to walk to, but I get the impression that it is very much fluff chucker territory around there. Having done a little 'research' I'm lead to believe that the river Rother has some reasonable swims around Chesterfield which is only about 10 miles from where we'll be, but I was hoping that there might be some more locally based intel as to whether to go there, or would it be better to hit the Derwent further south. I'll almost certainly only get a few hours on one day as I'll be leaving poppet to fend for herself with 2 dogs & no car [I'm sure she'll cope!]. Any opinions / suggestions most gratefully received! Thanks in advance - Jon

flightliner

Reaction score
The lower Derwent could be your best bet Jon as the upstream sections are pretty sewn up with fly angling , I may be mistaken as it's been a few years since I last fished it around Baslow.
The Rother is interesting but around Chesterfield is not my area but lower down by some thirty minutes nearer to Rotherham there is some decant reaches that are worth a try but feel it may be to far for you on the time constraints prevailing on the day so hopefully someone else here may help fill in the info you need for the upper river near Chesterfield.
All that said if you do have the time and a satnav you could try the best greyling fishing for miles in the centre of Sheffield????????
All you need is a rod, a bag with bare essentials and bait.
Pm me if you fancy it and I will give you the details and postcode that will take u right outside a tackle shop/parking etc-- u only need a half pint of maggots, enough for all day on the stretch in question!

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
The Derwent is my closest river, I fish it a couple of times a week at the moment. Quite good at Belper with Dace and the occasional Chub, as well as some total nutter brownies, Grayling too. The stretch I fish is on a day ticket. Also plenty to go at further downstream. Derby stretches are fishing pretty good at the moment, some nice Roach and Chub in a rather nice park stretch with easy parking. If you need any further info PM me.