Rubber baits question.

Reaction score
As I'm not keen on rubber baits I can't call on my own experiences,so I'm asking you guys,do chub take them,two days ago I fished and caught chub which spooked any barbel that were present and usually first cast in a swim,just wondering whether the chubs cleverness might be used against him....

flightliner

Reaction score
I can't speak for their effectiveness with Chub Alan but I've had a lot of success using them for other species such as Bream and Tench, so much so that I would'nt hesitate trying them anytime I went fishing for Chub.

Reaction score
Mick,I'm thinking if the chub aren't going to take the rubber bait,then the barbel may get a chance to take it,my only other option is feeding heavily with maggot and using a big bunch on an eight or ten hook,thus negating the chub,the water is Crystal clear,shallow and catching other fish,casting regularly is not an option,if you want the barbel to stay out feeding,it's a problem,that though I enjoy catching chub,these barbel are scarce and of a good size,doubles anyway.

peterjg

Reaction score
Has anyone had any roach on rubber maggots or casters? I keep trying them but can't get a bite. The problem being that with a mini helirig for roach the live or dead maggots get mullered by small fish.

Witty, I have caught bream on rubber corn - but bream eat anything.

Last edited:

Reaction score
The only fish I've caught on rubber maggots is a 6lb+ tench(lake) and a 2lb 5oz perch(river) and a decent bream(river),I fished rubber maggot on the same river several years ago now when minnows were stripping the hook of lives,as I say my confidence with fake baits is very low...

thecrow

Reaction score
I have caught Barbel on fake pellets but unfortunately also caught Chub on them, I don't know of any bait that Chub wont take have you thought about increasing the size of the bait? different river altogether but some Severn anglers use big meat baits for Barbel.

Reaction score
Yes Graham,the chub are capable of eating bigger baits than the barbel and in any case on this river fish,especially the barbel won't pick up big baits in normal river conditions,it normally wouldn't matter if fish numbers were good,but they can pick and choose...

ian g

Reaction score
I have caught Barbel on fake pellets but unfortunately also caught Chub on them, I don't know of any bait that Chub wont take have you thought about increasing the size of the bait? different river altogether but some Severn anglers use big meat baits for Barbel.

We still get a fair few chub and eels using big meat to be honest. Re roach and fake maggots I fished a local pool which is full of roach in the summer free lining live maggots and catching roach and rudd one after another , I switched to fake maggots and really struggled . I don't use them much i suppose it's a confidence thing.

thecrow

Reaction score
Is there any chance of holding the bait back until the Barbel appear before allowing it into the swim then allowing it to move down in the current? its a big problem as I have found that Chub are on a par with small Perch when it comes to greediness.

Reaction score
Yeah they are Graham,the trouble is there are very few runs between the prolific weed and you need to put a bait in the run and wait for Bertie to move onto it,even regular feeding spooks them,probably looking for an answer that isn't there,if just a few more barbel were present competition would take place and you would get away with a bit...

Keith M

Reaction score
This doesn't always work but it works more times than not; when the chub are being a nuisance and taking your bait before the barbel manage get to it; then try lengthening your hair rig. I've found this usually works because when a chub picks up the bait and turns away with the bait still in its lips (which often happens when they are shoaled up); the bait is usually pulled free from its lips by your leger weight (because the hook is often still hanging outside of the chubs mouth).

I've often fished a swim which has had large shoals of chub plus a few barbel in it and had caught lots of barbel and very few chub because of this ploy.

But as I've already said it doesn't always work especially if the chub are particularly large and often not competing in a shoal.

I first noticed this happening when I was fishing on my local stream when the water was crystal clear and there was a guy trotting with luncheonmeat in the swim above me, and at the end of each trot his meat would fall off his hook as he started to rewind.

I could clearly see that each time his bait would sink down onto the gravel in front of me being followed down by two or three chub from the shoal and when the leading chub picked up the meat it would dart away from the other chub well away from the shoal with the meat still held in its lips before swallowing the bait.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Trefor West in his last book makes a big point about ignoring the initial tugs and pulls which will be from Chub which quickly wise up and avoid the hookbait and wait for a Barbel to wrap the rod round.

Have you tried a resitant bait that will stay on ...big hard pellet etc and then literally wait for something to pull the rod in ..hopefully the Barbel and not a suicidal Chub.

Failing that the old floating crust trick...chuck a few in to get the Chub moving off downstream hopefully leaving the Barbel to take the hookbait.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Keith,that may work,although these chub are confident,early on,but it's worth a go,thanks.

Philip,I do leave the rod,until it's wrapped round,or bouncing madly indicating a hooked fish,it's a strange situation,trying to stop catching fair sized fish,some of these chub are 6lbs(though most are 2-4),I really appreciate any suggestions,as any one of them could unlock the problem,as I say maggot is a real possibility,which I may give a go in the next week or so,the problem then is possibly minnows,not that I'll catch them,but they strip the hook,even with ten grubs,if they are in the mood.....one thing after another lol.

flightliner

Reaction score
Has anyone had any roach on rubber maggots or casters?.

I,ve had several over the last two or three years, a 2-14 last last autumn using three rubber casters with simple feeder gear and several bites last Friday night gave me an eight ounce fish.
Alan, maybe a mix of imitation and natural could be worth a try without the use of free offerings?

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Flightliner!!! You'r not allowed to catch 2-14 roach! They are all mine!

PS. Well done, massive fish!

Reaction score
Well,maggot isn't an option,it's full of small dace and minnows that appear from nowhere when maggots are fed,these barbel don't like bright conditions either and tuck under the far bank rushes,so my next foray will be on an over cast day when I will fish just boilie in small quantities and leaving in the right area for as long as possible,hopefully an hour and a half.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My main experience with rubber baits is when I was spending a lot of time practicing short whip fishing for large Bleak and small Roach when trying to better my rhythm without having to constantly re-bait.

Other times I've used rubber maggot and caster is when trying to neutralise the buoyancy of real baits to get them to hover just above the bottom when Roach and Chub fishing.

I have used fake floating bread, to some good success however on the river for Chub and the occasional Carp.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Its a shame they spook when you feed, really narrows down your options. That being said I think I know the answer to your problems! Persistence! ;) Good luck

Reaction score
Mmm,that's an issue isn't it,they border on an obsession,wasting sessions I could be targeting other species or other venues...

carpinbob

Reaction score
Use them all the time when fishing for bream especially fake sweet corn.