Trotting Rod 14' needed

dalesman

Reaction score
This summer I have sold off a lot rods which I have never used for ages, just keeping my old Bruce and Walker rod. This was to fund my Atom pin.

So looking for a new 14' trotting rod. To used with both a pin and now and again a fixed spool.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd recommend an acolyte plus.

B

binka

I'd recommend an acolyte plus.

Genuine question Ian as, despite owning a foot either side, i've never even waggled a 14' Hardy but...

As an all rounder would you put the Accy above the Hardy or is the Accy just more suited to trotting?

My experience of the Hardys is that they're very good at everything but master of none, which suits my fishing down to the ground.

Horses for courses or an all out winner?

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Genuine question Ian as, despite owning a foot either side, i've never even waggled a 14' Hardy but...

As an all rounder would you put the Accy above the Hardy or is the Accy just more suited to trotting?

My experience of the Hardys is that they're very good at everything but master of none, which suits my fishing down to the ground.

Horses for courses or an all out winner?

Ste, I like the Hardy rods....i've got 13 of 'em ! I have never used or seen a avon rod to compare to the marksman 11 footer or the 11ft 6 rod and the supero barbel rods are too good to use lol. I love the finnish of the hardy rods also.
I do like the hardy 14ft float rod a lot but if i'm totally honest I would prefer to use the 14ft acolyte plus rod. The rod just feels great for both still water and river fishing alike. I like it's fast action, and that action combined with the weight of the rod gives you a super fast strike and ultimately must give a better hook up rate. The rod is deceptively powerfull also and playing barbel hard is no problem for it, obviously it takes on a fair old bend but what rod doesn't if you play a barbel quite hard.
Regarding breakages of acolyte rods I can only go off my own experiences with them and up to now and having really put them through some stick (especially the 13ft plus) all mine have come out unscathed.
Ste, have you ever handled an acolyte float rod?

sam vimes

Reaction score
As it happens, I was thinking about having a clearout. The snag is that I only have two 14'ers, and I'm keeping one of them. I do have a barely used Shimano Aerocast AX Match 420 doing not much in the horde. It's from the updated range on the original you had, but it's not the FA version. I bought it as an ex-display model with no rod bag and the odd sign of handling.

I've also got a few longer or shorter alternatives tucked away. If you want me to bring a selection for your perusal, just ask.

B

binka

Ste, have you ever handled an acolyte float rod?

I've waggled a few but not on the battlefield, so to speak.

I think the nearest I got to that was a brief spell with one of Chris's the last time he was down this way and I have to confess that it felt very nice and remarkably light.

peterjg

Reaction score
Binka, I have 4 14ft rods and my favourite is the Acolyte Ultra. Used mainly for roach but it has handled near 6lb chub, tench, carp, trout and decent perch. Nice and light with a crisp action which is ideal for hemping. I also use it a lot for my favourite method which is laying-on and stretting.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've waggled a few but not on the battlefield, so to speak.

I think the nearest I got to that was a brief spell with one of Chris's the last time he was down this way and I have to confess that it felt very nice and remarkably light.

It might be worth you having a closer look at one as I think you would/might like it.
Try and look at both the plus and ultra to compare them although I would say a plus would be the the best option for you since you catch a lot of barbel.

It might be advisable for you to get the 14ft hardy rod and a acolyte :).

dalesman

Reaction score
As it happens, I was thinking about having a clearout. The snag is that I only have two 14'ers, and I'm keeping one of them. I do have a barely used Shimano Aerocast AX Match 420 doing not much in the horde. It's from the updated range on the original you had, but it's not the FA version. I bought it as an ex-display model with no rod bag and the odd sign of handling.

I've also got a few longer or shorter alternatives tucked away. If you want me to bring a selection for your perusal, just ask.

We both fish the same bit of water locally and know what I am looking for, so I will take you up on the offer and peruse.

Its your fault I had a clear out after showing your Atom pin as I had own one, plus the wife happier she's getting the spare room back.

sam vimes

Reaction score
We both fish the same bit of water locally and know what I am looking for, so I will take you up on the offer and peruse.

Its your fault I had a clear out after showing your Atom pin as I had own one, plus the wife happier she's getting the spare room back.

Just let me know when and where.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Here's a thing. The BF and I both own Matchpro Ultralites...his is 14 ft, mine 13. He tends to use his with a prehistoric Ryobi closed face reel, I almost invariably team mine with my lightweight Bewick pin. I had a go of his down the river last week and even allowing for the fact that he is built like a silverback I thought that combination was horrible...it just didn't feel balanced. I have always preferred 13 ft rods not least because I am built like a ballerina compared to Grumpy but it is worth noting ( I think) what a difference an extra foot and a different reel made. Personally I thought it was largely due to the reel but Grumpy was having none of it. He is very attached to that old doorstop.

But once again it proves the old adage that you really need to put a reel on a rod before parting with your hard earned as what suits one person will not necessarily suit another. Wrists like a gorilla can help if you like longer rods....maybe that's why I dont .

Last edited:

xenon

Reaction score
another vote for the Acolyte ultra-fast pick up, deceptive power lower down the blank, light as a feather-best stick rod I've ever had, by some distance.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've used a 14' Acolyte Ultra for roach and dace trotting (also still water crucians) for the best part of 3 years now and it's handled everything that's been thrown at it from chub to over 6lb to unexpected carp to 15.10...............wouldn't change it.