Rods and reels

Reaction score
Evening everyone,

Want to get back out fishing and looking at float fishing, done quite a bit of reading on the internet but with so many options it’s driving me mad..

I’ll be fishing on day ticket commercials mostly, just wondered if anyone else had just started and had any advice on what they chose or any of the wiser folk got any rods/info that I should be looking at, cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It will help filter the advice if you can tell us your budget, bearing in mind you can pay £50 to a few hundred pounds, this is true of rods too.

Reaction score
At the minute I’d probably want to spend around £60/£70 for the both, want it to last me a while whilst I’m starting out but obviously not too dear as it is my first rod/reel

chrissh

Reaction score
At the minute I’d probably want to spend around £60/£70 for the both, want it to last me a while whilst I’m starting out but obviously not too dear as it is my first rod/reel

I have rods from £50 up to £300 plus one of my go to all round rod for commercials is Darent valley 11ft-1.25lb Avon which will give you the choice of fishing ether float or feeder
Have a look at the link

Combo Deal - TB Darent Valley 11ft 1.25lb Avon/Quiver Rod Kit

Reaction score
I have rods from £50 up to £300 plus one of my go to all round rod for commercials is Darent valley 11ft-1.25lb Avon which will give you the choice of fishing ether float or feeder
Have a look at the link

Combo Deal - TB Darent Valley 11ft 1.25lb Avon/Quiver Rod Kit

When it says it comes with line will that already be ready to use or will I have to put the line on the spool myself? And if so is it hard to do?

Cheers for the info mate

chrissh

Reaction score
When it says it comes with line will that already be ready to use or will I have to put the line on the spool myself? And if so is it hard to do?

Cheers for the info mate

You will have to put the line on … get your wife/girlfriend/ friend to help
1. Put the reel on the rod (only need to use the bottom half)
2. Set the reel clutch so it not slipping
3. Thread the line though the rod eyes and attach to the reel spool
4. Use a pencil though the middle of the line spool and get someone to hold the pencil and put pressure on the spool so the line goes on with an even pressures
5. Check that the line is going on level
6. Job done

YouTube

Keith M

Reaction score
If I have to wind some new line onto my reel and don’t have anyone to hold the spool of line for me I put the line through an old telephone directory on a table and then down into a bucket of water. This gives a nice even pressure on the line and reduces any line twist and prevents the spool running off as I wind.

Keith

Reaction score
You will have to put the line on … get your wife/girlfriend/ friend to help
1.Put the reel on the rod (only need to use the bottom half)
2.Set the reel clutch so it not slipping
3.Thread the line though the rod eyes and attach to the reel spool
4.Use a pencil though the middle of the line spool and get someone to hold the pencil and put pressure on the spool so the line goes on with an even pressures
5.Check that the line is going on level
6.Job done

YouTube

Nice one mate.. I’ll get that rod/reel ordered in the morning I think

She’s going to love me isn’t she.. she’s already fed up of the constant research for my new found hobby now she’s got to help me with it haha!

Reaction score
If I have to wind some new line onto my reel and don’t have anyone to hold the spool of line for me I put the line through an old telephone directory on a table and then down into a bucket of water. This gives a nice even pressure on the line and reduces any line twist and prevents the spool running off as I wind.

Keith

Cheers Keith, once the missus gets fed up of me I’ll keep this in mind

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
NorthwestNewbie where are you based ? I fish a few commercials around the northwest , I am from Warrington.
If you fancy a day on one let me know and maybe I could help you with a few tips etc . If you haven't ordered the rod n reel you could borrow a set up I use, and then you have an idea of what to use,I have heard good reports of Darent Valley rods.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree with this recommendation! The Darent Valley 1.25 and .75 are excellent value and nice to use! I have had carp to 12lb on both and my biggest roach on the latter! Tacklebox (TB)are also an excellent company to deal with! Dependent on your quarry 8lb line is a little heavy and TB may give you say 5lb instead if you asked! You will need more than one spool of line though and practice makes perfect when putting the line on the spool! I have made a pigs ear of it on numerous occasions ! I use pieces of foam cladding inserted in two eyes nearest the reel on the rod which provides decent tension when winding on!

Either rod will be a valuable addition to your collection( inevitable) regardless of expense and you will still enjoy using it! I know I do!

Last edited:
Reaction score
NorthwestNewbie where are you based ? I fish a few commercials around the northwest , I am from Warrington.
If you fancy a day on one let me know and maybe I could help you with a few tips etc . If you haven't ordered the rod n reel you could borrow a set up I use, and then you have an idea of what to use,I have heard good reports of Darent Valley rods.

Based in Manchester mate, I’ve bought that rod that was previously mentioned in the thread so I’m good for that at the minute, I’d definitely be up for getting out and learning a few bits when I’m free, nice one mate.

Reaction score
I agree with this recommendation! The Darent Valley 1.25 and .75 are excellent value and nice to use! I have had carp to 12lb on both and my biggest roach on the latter! Tacklebox (TB)are also an excellent company to deal with! Dependent on your quarry 8lb line is a little heavy and TB may give you say 5lb instead if you asked! You will need more than one spool of line though and practice makes perfect when putting the line on the spool! I have made a pigs ear of it on numerous occasions ! I use pieces of foam cladding inserted in two eyes nearest the reel on the rod which provides decent tension when winding on!

Either rod will be a valuable addition to your collection( inevitable) regardless of expense and you will still enjoy using it! I know I do!

I ordered the rod and reel set but I’ll buy some other line aswell so I have something different to go at, nice one.

Reaction score
@NorthwestNewbie if you are Manchester based I would say the nearest day ticket/commercial to you
depending on what part of Manc would be Moss Farm in Irlam.

I’ll have a look at moss farm cheers, not really familiar with where any are at the minute, used to fish Meadowview in Lymm a lot as a youngster, anyone know if that’s still any good?

thecrow

Reaction score
When you load the line onto the reel be sure that you have some backing on the spool so that your line comes to a little beneath the lip of the spool when loaded. The backing can be old line or some cheap line.

Looking at the line that comes with the kit imo its to heavy for float fishing at 8lb breaking strain so I would used that for backing.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I’ll have a look at moss farm cheers, not really familiar with where any are at the minute, used to fish Meadowview in Lymm a lot as a youngster, anyone know if that’s still any good?

I used to live round the corner from Meadow View, it is not as good as it used to be from what I have heard, There is also the old river in Irlam where the boathouse pub is, I think that is still day ticket, Salford Friendly Anglers have it, That club is free to join, There are plenty of day ticket waters around Warrington area and around junction 27 of M6, As the crow says 8lb line would be to heavy for float fishing, I would go for something around 3lb to 4lb if you are doing commercials with a lower breaking strain hooklength. I am fishing a match at Moss Farm on Saturday on Madisons pool if you want to come down and check the place out, It has a tackle shop and a good café as well

O

O.C.F.Disorder

If you are float fishing a commercial you can pretty much use any rod and reel. If I were you I would be looking at buying a rod reel combo that is versatile so you can try other methods of fishing when you are ready. What chrish said is pretty advisable (float/feeder rod) and I would recommend a small reel with a bait runner. Have you checked gumtree for any bargains?

I just checked gumtree and found something perfect for you: Fishing Tackle | in Westhoughton, Manchester | Gumtree