Line Rating question

treecutter

Reaction score
Hi I've come by a Shimano Perfection Match 420ST & was wondering if anyone knows the Mainline rating.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
Shimano have rarely given line ratings for their rods, they mostly go for casting weight. However, along with similar rods of the era, it was probably in the order of 2-4lb. The reality is that you'll probably get away with pushing the mainline up to 6lb as long as you keep the hooklinks less than 4lb.

bullet

Reaction score
What criteria is this line rating thing based on?

Is it that you can pull like hell with the stated bottom strength on and the rod won't snap?

I always wonder as I thought that was what a drag was for.

sam vimes

Reaction score
What criteria is this line rating thing based on?

Is it that you can pull like hell with the stated bottom strength on and the rod won't snap?

I always wonder as I thought that was what a drag was for.

That's part of the problem with line ratings, there's absolutely nothing definitive as to how they are derived or what they really mean. At best, they are little more than a guide, designed to save plonkers from breaking their rods through inappropriate line choices and abuse. Though a match rod might have a line rating of 2-4lb, it won't necessarily break if you go 10lb straight through. It would be pretty stupid to do so though, not least because a light float rod would perform pretty horribly with such heavy line. Where line ratings are given, there's no absolute guarantee that it won't break even if they are adhered to.

Line ratings are largely a case of a manufacturer covering their backsides and giving a user an idea of the rods intended use. It may also serve to save some anglers from themselves.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would say fine for chub, the rod in a way may be undergunned for barbel, depending on their size and location, If you get "weeded" by a barbel you may struggle to free it with a spliced tip rod, These are just my thoughts on this, others will have their own views, also I would say 4 - 6 lb line would be to light for barbel.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I think the Hyperloop fa ( fast action ) rods have a rating of between 2lb-6lb, the hyperloop if I recall was not as good as the perfection, I would say the line rating would be 2lb -4lb and 6lb at a push for the perfection like Sam said,

Philip

Reaction score
At the end of the day line ratings are words written on a rod blank. Its not like test curve which at least has an objective measure associated to it. Thats not to say test curves are either helpful or precise. Its just that at least its clear how they (should) be arrived at.

I recon the worst part for rod manufacturers about line ratings is coming up with a range that covers as many bases as possible to help sales but not streatch things so far that it starts to sound ridiculous.

3-6lb for example appears to be an acceptable range anglers believe. Would 2-8lb be acceptable ? ..how about 2-10lb ? ...he fact is a rod can "handle" any line as long at it gets through the rings. There is no precise measure so its down to what the marketing guys finally decide to print on it when they wheel it out to the public.

Not that I have looked but I wonder what rod claims the widest line rating range ? ...could be fun to know..

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would say fine for chub, the rod in a way may be undergunned for barbel, depending on their size and location, If you get "weeded" by a barbel you may struggle to free it with a spliced tip rod, These are just my thoughts on this, others will have their own views, also I would say 4 - 6 lb line would be to light for barbel.

Four to six pound are my normal lines for barbel fishing with a float rod, they're fine Mark and I actually bully barbel with them.....daiwa sensor by the way oh and perlon now and again ;).

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have used power waggler rods on rivers tigger and had barbel to 6lb on them, I used to have a 13' original Harrison gti spliced tip rod, that got used mainly on canals and pools, I had a couple of carp around 10lb on it by accident which I landed on 3lb line , Even though I landed them, my concern was if the tip would go,and that was in open snag water of around 5 acres so I had no need to bully them in, my concern,real or imagined was if the OP got weeded by a barbel and had to bully it out with a spliced tip rod and light line, Philip,would you put 10lb line through the rings of a Drennan Chrystalite or Matchpro or any of the light actioned Normark rods, because the line would go through the rings ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
How on earth did anglers manage before line ratings were printed on rods? couldn't have just used common sense surely?

Common sense is all well and good, but when you've got litigious idiots, with far too much money, it's not surprising that most manufacturers think that some form of rating is a good idea. I don't think line ratings (or casting weight ratings) are really necessary. However, the number of people that ask line rating questions on forums rather suggests than they probably are necessary.

thecrow

Reaction score
I could put 15lb line through a match rod (not that I would) but that line strength would have nothing to do with what the rod could stand as far as pressure, that would be down to me knowing how far I could push the rod.

Are line ratings yet another marketing tool used by the tackle trade to encourage anglers to buy rods they don't need?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I could put 15lb line through a match rod (not that I would) but that line strength would have nothing to do with what the rod could stand as far as pressure, that would be down to me knowing how far I could push the rod.

Exactly that has already been discussed in the thread. I routinely ignore the line ratings on rods with no problem whatsoever. The sad fact is that there are plonkers out there that will put 15lb line through a match rod, pull like an idiot, and then whine about it being the manufacturer's fault when the rod breaks.

Are line ratings yet another marketing tool used by the tackle trade to encourage anglers to buy rods they don't need?

Not all use them, so I doubt it. They are mostly a backside covering exercise for the manufacturer. However, they can also serve as a useful guide for those that just don't know better.

I don't understand how anyone sensible can break a rod in use, but they do. However, when I see things like people pulling for breaks with a rod at full fighting curve, chucking a couple of ounces of lead with a match rod, and a whole host more ridiculous things, I'm not surprised that manufacturers think that ratings are a good idea.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I don't really see how it's a backside covering excercise. I very much doubt you could bend for a break with any rod's maximum line rating without the rod breaking first. My Greys' is rated at 8lb. I'd be dubious about bending for a 4lb break never mind 8.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't really see how it's a backside covering excercise. I very much doubt you could bend for a break with any rod's maximum line rating without the rod breaking first. My Greys' is rated at 8lb. I'd be dubious about bending for a 4lb break never mind 8.

I like a fishing rod to have the line ratings stamped on it myself. The hardys rods don't have it stamped on them, nor do my normarks or my tricast rod and it does annoy me !

As you say wethrough I can't imagine my float rods rated for 8lb mono snapping 4lb mono on a slow pull, infact I would imagine trying it would be a mistake :eek:mg:.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I'd be totally stunned if a float rod broke on a pound or so over the line rating,most anglers pussy foot around and are scared shi*less the rods going to break,like casting weights are concerned,I'm sure a feeder rod casts more than two ounces including bait,yet a 1.25lb tc rod cant,absolute hogwash....