tench and nuisance rudd

john step

Reaction score
I am starting a new thread to avoid the wrath of PC regarding Another Daves post about avoiding rudd in his tench pond.

I don't know if the tench are still active in your pond but my belief is that they get harder as the year wears on and often small baits are the answer which is bad news with all those rudd.

However when they are on the feed I am a fan of 10mm strawberry boilies for them. You can use those bait spikes to fix small boilies.

Sods law says you may have to wait until spring now.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Thanks js. I figured that if there were still snakes and turtles swimming around then the water would still be warm enough for tench.

seth49

Reaction score
One of the ponds I fish is plagued with small Rudd, there are a right pain, I find hard pellets or pepperami work best to deter them, also plastic baits seem to work as well, in fact I’m using imitation corn more and more lately been catching carp bream and even a crucian the other day.

seth49

Reaction score
Cut into slices about half an inch thick or thicker and either hair rig, or side hook, either on the float or a ledger it’s very tough.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Thanks seth, i have some of these to hand

bd098443-ca17-4328-9ac4-ff87a209fafc.jpg

I was just thinking about chickpeas too, and maybe some small lobs. I'm definitely doing something wrong because the angler that told me about the tench - and i do trust him - reckoned to just fish single corn and fish through the rudd. Aaargh.

seth49

Reaction score
Was talking to a chap fishing chickpeas, he was catching well on them to, he told me he wasn’t getting a bite on them till he peeled the skin of them, they worked well then.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have been having similar problems but with small Perch, I have been fishing hard 12/14 mil halibut pellets that the Tench still take but the Perch cant whittle them down so easily.