Looking for someone to fish with

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Perhaps you should befriend them and educate them in the correct ways of fish care and what is a suitable livebait.

On that particular occasion I did but the fella just kept saying he was the "king of pike fishing" and he always uses big baits blahblahblah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Billy No Mates it will continue to be then.

Reaction score
Like that fishin' at Banbury Alan - you didn't even bring a rod.....................;)

The worst of it was Jez,I caught the same as some,it was a dire old day,apart from Neil's catch.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
I pretty much flat out won’t fish a free stretch of river. Sorry but I’ve just had too many bad experiences. Joining a club was the best thing I did.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the biggest part I fish alone, I do enjoy fishing on my own and my style of fishing, being nomadic isn't one that lends itself to having fishing partners.
I do on occassion fish with a friend but most of my old friends who where fanatical anglers have all sort of slipped out of it and just can't be bothered to go fishing, or if they do it's once every two or three years!
Just this last day or two i've had some of them contact me with a view to going grayling fishing in October but tehy're probably just blowing p!$$ and wind and when it actually come to rising from the pit and driving a hundred miles they'll crumble under the pressure lol.
Very occassionally i've fished with one or two forum members from FM and AN and we've enjoyed (or at least I have) the days out.
All I can say is just enjoy your fishing and the freedom fishing alone gives you.

Reaction score
The worst of it was Jez,I caught the same as some,it was a dire old day,apart from Neil's catch.

Just to explain this was a day out organised by maybe a dozen or so guys,one of the gents hadn't been well and didn't know how he was going to get to his swim and I volunteered to get him to his peg,so he could fish,I enjoyed the day and put names to faces,so 'no regrets' as the song says.:)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm still having a chuckle around Mr Lout's post. First thing I read this morning and it's made my day!

OFCD...............I've read and reread your posts and I'm still not sure what you're after....Take you last offering; You are happy to share a swim with someone on a river (not too sure how how you can do that with ease!) but 'it really doesn't happen on a still water' where (surely) it would be easier to share a swim!

As for trying to arrange to have a 'taster fish' at a club lake; I cannot believe a club wouldn't help arranging a days fishing for you as a guest but even if they did, I cannot think what a single days fishing would prove? Most clubs are after new members these days so if only for that reason I imagine they would help where possible?

The other point is the term 'fishing with someone' and how you visualise doing so. I'm sure some on here would be happy to have a DAYS fishing and they have said as much, BUT making it anything like fishing together EVERY time you go out is probably a step too far.

I'm not about to tell you how you sort this out, but my 'suggestion' would be to bite the bullet and join a club, fish the waters regularly, attend club meetings etc. etc. and see how things develop. This would give a degree of meeting other anglers over time and you may well find a like minded soul also looking for a pal to fish with.....it could take some time, though.

I'm with tigger on the subject 'fishing with someone' in that I would find having a regular pal restricting for the type of fishing I do, BUT I do have superficial chats with other club members if they stop by my swim. I do have actual pals who will fish on the same days as me, BUT fishing together - no, they wouldn't want it and neither would I!!

Can I also suggest that it is easy to overthink this sort of thing. Go join that club, perhaps give the odd match a try and I'm sure things will sort themselves out!!

Good luck!!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Do you see the contradiction in your post TC. Meet other club members but they don't want anyone to fish with. I don't think people join clubs to find fishing mates. In other recent threads the theme was looking for club stretches where most were happy if they didn't see another angler on them. This is why they join, for the exclusive venues and the fewer club members on them the better. I don't think it means OCD is looking for a permanent mate just someone to fish with now and then on a casual basis as and when convenient to both parties.
Towns lack a place where anglers can just meet once a month, have a chat and a pint and maybe find fishing buddies without the need to join a club with all that entails. I am still working on that locally to me having found an ideal venue which is one of the local sea angling clubs with a bar, cafe and plenty of room. All invited, coarse, game or sea anglers. A once a month schedule, no pressure to join a club or even turn up, just a social meet, chat, swap ideas, fishing venues, found out how they are fishing, and maybe if its whats someone is after, a mate..I don't know of any clubs that do that, you pay your money and get your card and map and then your on your own and could remain so.
I have had some great fishing buddies in the past and it was a real pleasure to be able to fish with them, didn't mean we had to stay together all the time or fish the same way, just the company was a delight and I love other anglers stopping for a chat. Because of this I never understand why so many of you seek solitude so much.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
What contradiction??

What I said was that joining a club where you will meet lots of other anglers, might lead to finding a like minded soul who is looking for someone to fish with. It could happen...................NOT a certainty but possible!

I'm not suggesting people join clubs to find fishing mates, but doing so at least offers the chance of of happening...

Everyone sees these things in different ways. You obviously enjoy the social side of fishing and all it has to offer and that is fine. I enjoy exactly the opposite with peace and quiet and solitude high on the agenda, and that is also fine, BUT, and it is a big but, I chat to anglers ( as I said above) who pass by, and that is it. I don't need what you obviously do........................Is that clear enough for you??

I suggest most of what you say is assumption including what the OP wants or doesn't want. Perhaps you know him personally and have a better insight to what he is looking for. For my part I can only answer with suggestions which the OP will appreciate, or not as the case may be!!

Have a nice day..........................

thecrow

Reaction score
Why not place something in a local tackle shop asking if anyone else is looking for a fishing partner? Banks & burr could be a place they are very friendly and helpful other than that just join a club and talk to other anglers.

Keith M

Reaction score
If you don’t want or don’t need to join a friendly club then what about your local tackle shops, do any of them have anglers standing around drinking coffee and tea on a Saturday and talking about their fishing in them? or are they all inpersonal places?

If you do have such a tackleshop near you then do the same and have a coffee or tea with them and join in with them, you are bound to meet someone who would join you on the bank or invite you to join them on the bank.

Keith

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I had no expectations when I made this post but have now arranged to meet a couple of people for a days fishing. I guess what I am after is other people who are passionate about fishing to go for sessions through out the colder months (while my better half is hibernating). Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys, I might sign up for Clifton lakes which is members only and only 125 quid a year.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Since I Joined Fishing Magic, I have met two other members for days fishing, Wetthrough aka Gordon and Mikench aka Mike.
I did not know these two before we met up, only joined in on the same threads on here, When we met up and got chatting and fishing, it seemed to me as if we had been doing this regularly and known each other for a few years, we got on well together, another friend of mine who I fish with has joined us, and he said they are decent blokes to fish with,. So here is to more enjoyable days out with them. They can choose the venues next time, I chose the last two and we were lucky to have a good days fishing, I may not be so lucky next time with a venue.

theartist

Reaction score
Surely the solution to a fishing companion is much more simple.

Find a secluded spot, be hell bent on being on your own, feed the swim with unerring stealth to the point where the fish of your dreams is readily munching on freebies under your feet with reckless abandon - It is only then that someone will settle down in your swim for a chat and they stick around no matter what :D

john step

Reaction score
Surely the solution to a fishing companion is much more simple.

Find a secluded spot, be hell bent on being on your own, feed the swim with unerring stealth to the point where the fish of your dreams is readily munching on freebies under your feet with reckless abandon - It is only then that someone will settle down in your swim for a chat and they stick around no matter what :D

Yes I agree. The times I have sat back from the bank to tackle up and some dipstick wanders over and stands at the waters edge in full view and skylined and then says something to the effect that he hasn't caught much/not much good here etc.

Philip

Reaction score
The times I have sat back from the bank to tackle up and some dipstick wanders over and stands at the waters edge in full view and skylined

That utterly winds me up. The fact your dressed like vegetation and sat low amoungst stinging nettles seems to go right over their head as they stomp up to the waters edge and shout “THERES ONE!” as the fish bow wave out of the swim.