Perch problem.

Reaction score
I nearly put this on the trying for perch thread but thought it not relevent,I'm going to try for big perch in the next few weeks on a stretch of river near to me,they get quite a few three plusses,I had a 3-5 myself the one time I've fished it,the problem is crayfish and at this time of year they will be very active,I've thought about feeding lobworms cut in three plus maggots,but then,rather than lay on as i normally would,I'm thinking of casting to mid-river and letting it swing round,perhaps allowing the float to hold for 4-5 minutes before recasting,this not allowing the bait to be stationary for too long,possibly fishing slightly under depth,your views please?

B

binka

It depends on how active you want your fishing to be Alan, if there's one fish that's a sucker for a preoccupation with constantly falling bait it's the Perch and given your circumstances with the crays I reckon they're probably used to having to intercept stuff before it hits the deck in which case the humble maggot could well be as good as anything although not very selective.

You could always lay a carpet of feed which would keep the crays busy for a few hours, the crays alone will attract the Perch and then run a lobworm through a few inches off the deck.

How about popping a lobworm up over it and out of reach of the crays?

Mind you...

Given my recent form I'm the last person to be offering advice :eek:mg:

Reaction score
I like to float fish with a 'pin' ,so popping it up isn't as easy,although small fish are there,there aren't numbers,so catching a live bait isn't a gimme,the fish that interferes with fishing for the perch are jacks,a true pain,on worm too,but better than worm munching crays.I didn't mention earlier but this bit of river averages 5-8ft deep,with a slowish flow,it usually fishes best after Christmas,but I've heard through the grapevine that one guy has had a dozen threes this season,to 3-14.

Last edited:
B

binka

I'm fishing with 'pins almost exclusively these days Alan and I'm easily good for three or four rod lengths out... The water certainly sounds to be on form so I'd get in quick before the circus gets to hear about it and you can't move for rubber shads whizzing through the air!

Reaction score
Exactly,I had a swim in mind to give a few hours,there is a small willow(where there are few),just as the river narrows between two reed beds,this making an area of cover around ten yards.There are a few chub to nearly seven pounds,plus a few river pigs(carp). I might well go tomorrow,it's supposed to be warm,but overcast and a box of lobbies sit in the garage awaiting.

As for casting the pin Steve,I'm probably the same,I can Wallis cast,reasonably well,I have problems at times,but think that's mainly because I'm not regularly on the pin,ie all year round.

Last edited:
B

binka

Something else has just sprung to mind, something which I've briefly tried with some interest but must revisit.

What about a fixed paternoster float rig similar to what you would use with a livebait where you set a fixed depth to fish but with a lobworm and a squirt of air in it to keep it off the bottom and away from those crays?

A bit tedious to try and gauge the air to flow ratio but get it right and I reckon you're on a real winner...

Reaction score
I'm more likely to stab myself,especially as the good lady has donated a lovely cold.:sick::yuck:

Reaction score
Forgot about that ploy,cheers simon,used to used a tin of catfood ,punctured and attached to a string.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Something else has just sprung to mind, something which I've briefly tried with some interest but must revisit.

What about a fixed paternoster float rig similar to what you would use with a livebait where you set a fixed depth to fish but with a lobworm and a squirt of air in it to keep it off the bottom and away from those crays?

A bit tedious to try and gauge the air to flow ratio but get it right and I reckon you're on a real winner...

Works a treat but you have to use counter weight to stop the lob floating up vertical and touching the line

Philip

Reaction score
I recon a live bait will do it.

If the baits are not that easy to catch I would invest more time trying to catch them. Others are prob put off for the same reason so its well worth the effort as you could have a edge all to yourself. Minnow traps still work in this day & age.

B

binka

I recon a live bait will do it.

If the baits are not that easy to catch I would invest more time trying to catch them. Others are prob put off for the same reason so its well worth the effort as you could have a edge all to yourself. Minnow traps still work in this day & age.

I would tend to agree with you Philip.

But, and testimony to the occasional and infuriating fickleness of the Perch...

I sat behind various livebaits yesterday on the Trent for the best part of ten hours and which generally went ignored bar for a small fish of around 12oz which was overshadowed by a fish much larger (in relative terms) which took maggots which were intended for the livebaits.

I still agree though, rules and exceptions and all that.

I was looking at minnow traps just this afternoon, does anyone have a recommendation other than a plastic bottle with the top third cut off and inverted into the remainder of the body of the bottle?

Many seem to emanate from China, which puts me off immediately.

Philip

Reaction score
I was looking at minnow traps just this afternoon, does anyone have a recommendation other than a plastic bottle with the top third cut off and inverted into the remainder of the body of the bottle?

I don’t know if they are allot better than the inverted bottle but here are two I have..,the first is a tiny net that springs apart with cone openings at each end, sorry the photos not great but note the zip in the middle to put the bait into. It works and it folds up to nothing like a concertina with clips to stop it popping apart....its actually probably meant for Crayfish but it works well enough for fish as well.

The second its a plastic contraption that comes under the name of « spytraps » ..you should be able to find them with a google. Its aimed at catching little fish for kids to look at. I have not used it as I prefer the net but I am sure it works although its a bit more bulky.

The net one in particular is ideal for anglers as it folds up to nothing and can be tucked into your tackle or net bag. Unfortunately I don’t know where you can get them, I picked mine up from a boot sale many moons ago.

Minnow trap 1.jpg
Minnow trap 2.jpg
Minnow trap 3.jpg
Minnow trap 4.jpg

Last edited:

Reaction score
The plastic one looks like a coffee maker Philip,lol,this time of year I might be able to pick up a small roach or two,when winter sets in its chub,perch or just on this venue...

Philip

Reaction score
I suppose it could double for bankside coffee. :) ...Its actually quite cleverly designed...the foot/stand bit at the bottom is so the kids can stand it up to look at their catch. It screws off and the bottom of the transparent part is perforated to let the current through. The stand also hides the string to lower it in & out.

It was in a sale for about £1 so I nabbed it. Its another of those items now clutering up the tackle shed....

Reaction score
I'm about to set off,late,as I've been up all night suffering with man flu,pain in the harris....

ian g

Reaction score
I have one of those nets Philip , I got it off ebay from China , it works well enough though I often just use a whip and a size 20 hook with a match stick float. I used minnows yesterday and managed a perch which was marginally bigger than the minnow but not much.