advice

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Im off to a secluded spot of the Avon at Stratford today and camping in order to be there at the crack of dawn tomorrow. I am a bit worried about feeder fishing as my rig often gets tangled. Anyone got any tips to avoid this? I usually use a running stemmed cage feeder down to 4 beads and a kurum quick change and 8 inch hook length. Thanks guys and wish me luck! I will be sure to take plenty of photos!

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Im off to a secluded spot of the Avon at Stratford today and camping in order to be there at the crack of dawn tomorrow. I am a bit worried about feeder fishing as my rig often gets tangled. Anyone got any tips to avoid this? I usually use a running stemmed cage feeder down to 4 beads and a kurum quick change and 8 inch hook length. Thanks guys and wish me luck! I will be sure to take plenty of photos!

After 40 years of feeder fishing I finally cracked the problem THIS WEEK! My solution is to put a twizzled loop at the top of the hook length and tread it through a tail rubber before attaching to the swivel or QC bead. ( I’m not familiar with quick change beads so not sure if the tail rubber will work with them.)
I’m just testing an extra refinement this week with the intention of posting with pics soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silvers

Reaction score
To me that sounds pretty complicated and your hooklength as too short, but it does depend on what you're fishing for .... Avon at Stratford - it could be Barbel, Chub, Bream or smaller fish (Roach, Perch, Dace).

I fish a very simple rig on rivers (hooklength attached loop to loop, a bead just above that and the feeder free running above). To avoid tangles I feather the cast so that the hooklength flies out beyond the feeder at the end. But I generally don't fish hooklengths shorter than 18 inches.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

To me that sounds pretty complicated and your hooklength as too short, but it does depend on what you're fishing for .... Avon at Stratford - it could be Barbel, Chub, Bream or smaller fish (Roach, Perch, Dace).

I fish a very simple rig on rivers (hooklength attached loop to loop, a bead just above that and the feeder free running above). To avoid tangles I feather the cast so that the hooklength flies out beyond the feeder at the end. But I generally don't fish hooklengths shorter than 18 inches.

I shortened my hook length because it kept tangling so badly haha I will be fishing for all of the above. I might try your simple rig if I have the same problems as the last time I fished there.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just put a clip swivel on my mainline, then a swivel on the end of my mainline. Then I simply attatch my hooklength to the swivel. I tie a small loop of weaker mono to my feeder/lead and put the loop of line on my running swivel clip so it'll snap off if it gets snagged....jobs a good 'un. If you want a bolt type rig you can just put rubber bead/stop on the mainline before the swivel clip, or failing that gently squeeze on a shot at the desired spot on the line. I don't think you can get any simpler unless you fish straight through.

Forgot to say, you can add whatever length hooklength you want as and when you want a change.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
20180917_160215.jpg

I have used this method for many a year now, both on the river and still water. Never had a problem. Easy to tie, just fold back 18 inch of main line, grip the line either side of the bend in the line, between thumb and forefinger of each hand, then roll the line between thumb and finger to create the twist. Pinch it at the required length of the twist and tie off with an overhand knot to make the twisted link. Thread the feeder onto the free end of line and tie off with another overhand knot to make the loop the feeder slides on. Works for me. Pete.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I've gone away from the loop rig above,I now use a small rubber float stop above the feeder/lead,around eighteen inches of so(but you can vary it for effect),I use a clip swivel,like a hook one end,ordinary eye the other,a enterprise tulip shaped rubber shock absorber over the eye,the hooklink itself has a loop with a korum anti tangle sleeve that you slide over the hook part after you clip the loop on,it sounds complicated but is in fact incredibly easy

silvers

Reaction score
OK - I'll fess up to a couple of things:

1. I only use a bead when I use feeders with swivels (as per the Kammy black cap as in Bracket's photo). Usually I will adapt these to replace the swivel with an embroidery bead with small diameter (so the bead + powergum leaves a tiny gap that will not go over the loop knot. In reality I do not think this is a running ledger as the friction is enough to make it a defacto bolt rig. But it is still "safe".

2. I've never really understood the benefits of the loop rig (or a running ledger) for flowing rivers if you're fishing "critically balanced". Surely the aim would be for the fish to feel the weight of the feeder as soon as possible, rather than give them x inches of line before they feel it? I'm hopeful that a better feeder angler than I am can enlighten me ...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 5602

I have used this method for many a year now, both on the river and still water. Never had a problem. Easy to tie, just fold back 18 inch of main line, grip the line either side of the bend in the line, between thumb and forefinger of each hand, then roll the line between thumb and finger to create the twist. Pinch it at the required length of the twist and tie off with an overhand knot to make the twisted link. Thread the feeder onto the free end of line and tie off with another overhand knot to make the loop the feeder slides on. Works for me. Pete.

I have used that set up many times but usually when fishing for silvers etc. If fishing for larger species like barbel I opt for the simple running rig I posted earlier in the thread.

chrissh

Reaction score
Everyone had their own views and ways of feeder fishing

I fish inline feeder now that’s the way I like to go

One way I fish a inline cage feeder is load the feeder then push the bait into the bottom (like you would a method feeder) I find this stop the hook length tangling. Tighten up the line then a minute later ¼ turn on the reel just to pull the feeder away from the hook length

Or I use a shot gun feeder BUT you must get the ground bait mix right to dry it comes out on the cast to wet it won’t fire the bait out

[URL="http://

The other way I fish is with a bomb and PVA gags load everything into the bag (hook & bait- ground bait or pellets and the bomb)

john step

Reaction score
I use these a lot. Allows infinite adjustment to hooklength. Kicks the hooklink out to avoid tangles. You can put a rubber bead as an extra above the adjuster to give more kick out.
Enterprise Adjuster Stops.

View attachment 5603

Philip

Reaction score
I use these a lot. Allows infinite adjustment to hooklength. Kicks the hooklink out to avoid tangles. You can put a rubber bead as an extra above the adjuster to give more kick out.
Enterprise Adjuster Stops.

View attachment 5603

I like the look of those allot John. ...I'm always looking for a quick / adjustable solution for feeder fishing but never found anything I am totally happy with as they either slip or damage the line so I am currently doing the same as Tigger and just tie a hooklink to a swivel.

Judging by the photo it looks like with these Enterprise stops the line is looped round an internal peg ..is that right ?

My concern would be does that loop pulling agaisnt the peg leave any crinkled line if you move the stop ..particularly after its been under tension, for example after playing a fish ?

...Intereted in your feedback.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
OK - I'll fess up to a couple of things:

1. I only use a bead when I use feeders with swivels (as per the Kammy black cap as in Bracket's photo). Usually I will adapt these to replace the swivel with an embroidery bead with small diameter (so the bead + powergum leaves a tiny gap that will not go over the loop knot. In reality I do not think this is a running ledger as the friction is enough to make it a defacto bolt rig. But it is still "safe".

2. I've never really understood the benefits of the loop rig (or a running ledger) for flowing rivers if you're fishing "critically balanced". Surely the aim would be for the fish to feel the weight of the feeder as soon as possible, rather than give them x inches of line before they feel it? I'm hopeful that a better feeder angler than I am can enlighten me ...

I submitted this rig as a example of a simple setup that I know works both on rivers and still waters. However to qualify that statement I must add that I only used it on slow moving Bream waters like the Welland and Witham. As silvers points out on heavy rivers using a sliding loop could be counterproductive. When fishing matches on rivers like the Severn and the Trent I would fish to a tight up feeder, just holding the deck, with the tip in the air and pointing downstream, fishing with a bow in the line. The resulting bites were drop backs and mostly unmissable. Pete

silvers

Reaction score
Pete,

That’s the way that I fish it as well on flowing rivers. On witham and welland I used a fixed paternoster (Freddy Foster book influence) .... same on bream Lakes.

With the caveat that on those flowing rivers:
1. I’ll be looking to catch on the float by preference
2. If i’m On the feeder i’m Aiming for barbel, chub or bream.
As I said, i’m Not exactly a feeder expert, although i’ve Won plenty of coin using it.

I’ve just rechecked the bible (bob robert’s 1993 book) and his explanation at the time is that
A) shorter 4” loop for distance as bites are usually drop backs
B) longer 12” loop for closer range
Basically seems to be saying that the idea of the free running loop is to allow for “pull round” bites.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I like the look of those allot John. ...I'm always looking for a quick / adjustable solution for feeder fishing but never found anything I am totally happy with as they either slip or damage the line so I am currently doing the same as Tigger and just tie a hooklink to a swivel.

Judging by the photo it looks like with these Enterprise stops the line is looped round an internal peg ..is that right ?

My concern would be does that loop pulling agaisnt the peg leave any crinkled line if you move the stop ..particularly after its been under tension, for example after playing a fish ?

...Intereted in your feedback.

It will leave a crinkle if you try to pull it without taking the rubbers off and loosening it to adjust the hooklength. However they say it wont weaken the line in use. I can vouch for that fact. I have not had any problems. At the end of the session I just cut off the last bit of line anyway as I do with all my fishing including float fishing.

If I am using a light bomb I dont bother to thread it through the peg twice like the illustration as it won't slip with just the line going in one end and out the other.. For heavy feeders/leads I do as the illustration says.

Although it is designed as an adjustable stop I find it a valuable aid even if there is no intention to adjust the hooklength due to its anti tangle abilities.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
What a good thread this has been. Plenty of suggestions for the OP along with good reasoning around the various rigs suggested. Personally, as one who doesn't feeder fish on a river a great deal it is always good to refresh ones own ideas, and take on board what others use successfully.

Some excellent discussion with nobody getting excited. Can't be bad....

My thanks, anyway!

thecrow

Reaction score
Apart from the shortness of the hooklength I would be looking at how you are casting, are you sure the rig isn't tangling when it hits the water?

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Great stuff, guys. You really got my brain going. After reading all the posts and seeing the simplicity of most people rigs i just couldnt understand why my rig was always getting tangled so I thought I would try to pin the hooklength down with some shot.. worse tangles.. I eventually decided to try running leadcore for half my hook length and this did the trick. no longer got tangled and my hook up ratio improved greatly. Im wondering if there might be some undertow. I had a great time in Stratford and although nothing special graced my hook, Im chuffed. Will post in hdygo when im not pooped :)