The good old days

bracket

Reaction score
Bin there. Dun that and enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks for the links. May look a bit naff by today's standards but there was a camaraderie back then that doesn't seem to exist now. Pete.

chrissh

Reaction score
Bin there. Dun that and enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks for the links. May look a bit naff by today's standards but there was a camaraderie back then that doesn't seem to exist now. Pete.

very true....

I can remember going with my dad as a kid and his friend at 4.00 in the morning jumping in the back of a commer van which was full or cigarette smoke then stopping around 6.00 at a transport caff for a proper mug of tea and breakfast and meeting with 2 or 3 other vans full of angler to fish a river somewhere

flightliner

Reaction score
I was part of that scenario, one of the guys on the film was my old boss-- an apprentice supervisor and president of the old NFA.
Wonderful days on the Trent, Witham, Welland, Nene, and many of the fen drains on coach, train and post Beeching by car.
It may look dated now and there was a look of naivety about it all thanks to the style of filming but make no mistake , many of those guys were top end at their game.
Marksy, Freddie foster, Dean, Thomas to name but a few.
Nice to be reminded of how it was-- very evocative!!

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
Fished several matches in my youth, brought back alot of memories watching those old clips. Most Saturdays or Sundays we'd be off somewhere in my mates VW van. The Trent, Swale, Gt Ouse. Great fun sat in the back of a van listening to the old uns having some banter. Always stopped at a cafe, and a chippy on the way back.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I was part of that scenario, one of the guys on the film was my old boss-- an apprentice supervisor and president of the old NFA.
Wonderful days on the Trent, Witham, Welland, Nene, and many of the fen drains on coach, train and post Beeching by car.
It may look dated now and there was a look of naivety about it all thanks to the style of filming but make no mistake , many of those guys were top end at their game.
Marksy, Freddie foster, Dean, Thomas to name but a few.
Nice to be reminded of how it was-- very evocative!!

In 1962 Ivan was certainly fishing [the 1962 All-England] and a very young Howard Humphrey was watching Billy Lane that day. I think one of the anglers shown looks a bit like Ivan though John Essex disagrees. Whether Freddie Foster was fishing that match I don't know although I'm not sure he got involved with nationals until the 70s when Barnsley started to fish them. John Dean and Dave Thomas are of a later generation of match anglers and both rose to prominence in the mid 70s.

steve2

Reaction score
First one brings back many happy memories of fishing Plucks Gutter and Grove ferry must have been around this time that I first fished there. On the coach at 4/5 am stop off at the cafe for builders tea. Just had to make sure you got the tides right for the best fishing.

bracket

Reaction score
Here is a real old clip for those who might not have seen it before..............CLICK

That a good old clip, all in their Sunday best too. I like it and it does relate to an ongoing parallel thread regarding eating fish the use of keepnets and whether fish were killed for the weighin. Well in 1912 they were alive and in a keepnet. Pete.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I still find it very strange when anglers used to wear shirts, ties and jackets fishing their clubs matches.

I can still picture my grandad wearing his suit, tie and wellies when he was fishing a club match; together with either a flat cap or a knotted handkerchief worn on his head if it was on the beach.

Keith

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Great stuff! I still carry my maggots in a tin just like the one in the first video :)

Dont you mean your ‘Gentles’ Derek?

For me it used to be half a pint (or if I was feeling really flushed a pint) of Gentles in a bait tin and a loaf and bag of bread crumb from Bob Freestone the bakers on the way.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
The old wire basket on a tripod for weighing, the canvas bucket for the catch weighing,the aluminium "gentles" tin, there was a youngster with a cane rod and fibre glass tip with maybe a KP Morritt early fixed spool reel, seems like yesterday.

thecrow

Reaction score
When I was a kid I walked to a local estate lake before it was light, purchased 2 fresh loafs on the way from the bakery around the corner from where I lived, by the time I got to the lake I had eaten one of the loaves :)

john step

Reaction score
When I was a kid I walked to a local estate lake before it was light, purchased 2 fresh loafs on the way from the bakery around the corner from where I lived, by the time I got to the lake I had eaten one of the loaves :)

In Romford, we used to visit the bakery on our bikes on way to the lakes to beg for a couple of loaves that "had fallen on the floor". The smallest lad was the one deputed to go in and ask. He always succeeded. I think he must have ended up like a Delboy.

peterjg

Reaction score
My dad died in 1962 but I can clearly remember as a kid fishing with him, mum and my sister on the Thames at Boveney, Penton Hook and Dorney Reach. In the films the tackle now looks so basic and antiquated but we still caught lots of fish! Perhaps more emphasis was on presentation and bait?

Keith M

Reaction score
My dad died in 1962 but I can clearly remember as a kid fishing with him, mum and my sister on the Thames at Boveney, Penton Hook and Dorney Reach. In the films the tackle now looks so basic and antiquated but we still caught lots of fish! Perhaps more emphasis was on presentation and bait?

My dad and I also used to fish the Thames at Penton Hook, and Queensbury and other places along the Thames like that. We used size 16 Gold Strike hooks-to-gut (we called them hooks-to-gut but they were actually tied to nylon) and Thames cork bodied floats; I had an ‘Intrepid extra’ reel loaded with blue coloured mainline and a 9ft blue Abu 403 solid spinning rod and my father used either a Split cane float rod with a swingtip fitted or his 12ft Hollow steel float rod which was his pride and joy and was very light compared to other rods around in those days.
We used either Breadflake, Gentles (maggots) or Hempseed for baits.

We used to catch loads of fish (Bleak, Roach, Gudgeon, Perch, Dace, small Chub and Bream) in those days on this old tackle, and I remember listening to my dad in awe talking about the monster 3lb Barbel that he once caught on the Thames.

Keith

Last edited: