Another pin purchase

john step

Reaction score
Thanks everyone . I understand now. To think I have had an end float screw on my Trudex for the 56 years I have owned it and just taken it for granted..........DOH:eek:mg:

PS I notice Fishing Republic have a pin called a Thseus on offer for £17.91p. It looks like a black version of the Ikonix.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Regarding end float screws, the impression I had was that in very basic terms these are basically there so if your reel starts to wobble & grate in one place you can adjust the screw to tighten things and alter the spot the spool is rubbing on the back plate.

..is that about right or am I getting it mixed up ?

Sort of, but not really. lateral movement of a spool shouldn't really occur unless a true pin is badly worn or bearings knackered on a bearing reel. No amount of float screw adjustment can compensate for that. The float adjustment is pretty much as it sounds. All it's there to do is take out any play in the spool up and down the pin.

Philip

Reaction score
Sort of, but not really. lateral movement of a spool shouldn't really occur unless a true pin is badly worn or bearings knackered on a bearing reel. No amount of float screw adjustment can compensate for that. The float adjustment is pretty much as it sounds. All it's there to do is take out any play in the spool up and down the pin.

It does raise the question why even have one then ? ...cant they just rivet it together better and do away with a screw that begs to be fiddled with. Its like putting a big yellow button on something with the sign underneath saying "dont press this".

sam vimes

Reaction score
It does raise the question why even have one then ? ...cant they just rivet it together better and do away with a screw that begs to be fiddled with. Its like putting a big yellow button on something with the sign underneath saying "dont press this".

As has been said already, it's to take up the slack when wear eventually occurs. IIRC, my Atoms did actually arrive with a little card saying something along the lines of "the float screw has been optimally adjusted at the factory and should be left alone by the user".

Sadly, judging by a few second hand pins I've encountered, more than the odd user really shouldn't be touching the end float screw. The most memorable was a friends reel that he bought second hand. Despite looking unused, it would barely rotate. Rather than being polished and smooth, the pin was marked badly. The previous owner had over-tightened the end float screw to a ridiculous extent. I had to polish the pin and the end of the float screw to get it working properly. However, the useable life of the reel would have been significantly reduced.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Absolutely what Sam V. says.
The end-float screw should be backed off a tiny bit so there's just a perceptible bit of in-out travel along the axis of the spindle; it should never be used as a brake.
As to the Compensating or Micro-Drag, you'll see two spokes, opposite each other, are "special". Each has a "U"-shaped prong at the end, which runs in the narrowed portion of the tip of the pin.
The one with the plain barrel is the spool release; pull the barrel out along the spoke, away from the hub, and the spool can be released.
The other, with the knurled wheel, is the drag, which can be loosened off to let the reel spin as freely as possible; applied gently to give a constant drag when holding-back in a strong flow; or set at a point where the spool doesn't pay off yards of tangle-hungry slack every time you lay the rod down - particularly handy when fishing still waters.
lt's also useful if you're using the reel as an intermediary line-holder in the job of reversing a carefully loaded fixed-spool's shot of reel line plus backing.

Last edited:

frothy

Reaction score
I’m pleased to find out about these cheap pins, I use the pin for sea fishing so having to worry about corrosion at high cost won’t be so much of a worry ??????

daniel121

Reaction score
I don't know what it is but nowt looks nicer than a pin to me! God that shows I'm getting old eh?

iain t

Reaction score
I just love the simplicity of the pin. Anyone can cast a fixed reel but it's the angler with a pin that has the most input. I know more about the tip action of a rod, more feel for the line on casting and the playing of a fish is way more fun. Don't get me wrong i do own a couple of fixed spool reels but i feel back to a basic pin gives me more fulfilment. With any pin, unless attached to a 2oz weigh am not going to break any distance record. But that's not what's it for.
One other point about a pin is i can strip, clean, lube and be using it within 15 minutes at the most. With a fixed spool it's a totally different story.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Does anyone use a pin for feeder fishing with a quiver tip rod?

I'm sure someone will. However, despite needing few excuses to use a pin in preference to my fixed spool reels, if I'm forced by circumstance into any kind of legering, it generally won't be with a pin. It's a similar story for me when waggler fishing. If the negatives of using a pin start to significantly outweigh the positives, then I'll be using a fixed spool reel. For me, that reality tends to limit my centrepin use to trotting. Very occasionally, they may come into play for shorter range waggler fishing, or even heavier styles of legering (barbel and carp tactics). I'm bad enough for limiting my fishing a bit just to use pins, I'd not cripple myself even more just for the joy of using them.

Keith M

Reaction score
However, despite needing few excuses to use a pin in preference to my fixed spool reels, if I'm forced by circumstance into any kind of legering, it generally won't be with a pin. It's a similar story for me when waggler fishing. If the negatives of using a pin start to significantly outweigh the positives, then I'll be using a fixed spool reel. For me, that reality tends to limit my centrepin use to trotting. Very occasionally, they may come into play for shorter range waggler fishing, or even heavier styles of legering (barbel and carp tactics). I'm bad enough for limiting my fishing a bit just to use pins, I'd not cripple myself even more just for the joy of using them.

That’s how I feel about using my centrepins too.

I use my pins for trotting on streams and rivers and when trundling for beards and very occasionally for fishing wagglers up close, plus because of the extra control it gives me when tightening up to the float; I occasionally use a pin when I’m using the traditional lift method for Tench and other fish that pick up the bait rather than sucking and blowing at it.

For everything else it’s normally the fixed spool reel that I turn to..

Keith

john step

Reaction score

I don't use one for feeder fishing but I do use one on stillwater for down the edge carp. I have a inexpensive but sturdy Marco Cortisi ( Dragon actually) loaded with 15lb bs. It has a loud ratchet negating the need for electronic indication. Being a pin it is also by nature a baitrunner. I tend to fish it down the edge to the side and use a float in front.

B

binka

Yup!

Had well over 100lb of Bream, Chub & Barbel doing this last Christmas day on the Trent :cool:

I'm not really into what is best suited to the job these days, preferring to use what I would rather use and what brings me the greater pleasure... The one constraint being the longer distances but given that I rarely fish beyond a couple of rod lengths out (if that) it really isn't an issue for me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do sometimes use a pin for legering on still waters, usually for tench. The problem I have found when using one for this purpose is very often the tench head straight for the bankside reeds and winding in fast enough to prevent them from getting in amongst the reeds can be an issue.
I suppose the water your going to be fishing will dictate the best tool for the job.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I tried my best to catch a barbel last weekend on the wye using a pin. I knew the stretch well, and knew that you could catch them on the near bank (so no massive cast required). Long story short, I lost two and then reverted to a fixed spool, going on to catch five and not lose any more. I think I was overthinking it whilst playing the fish on the pin (which probably only had fifty yards of line on it) and tried too hard to stop the fish running. One broke a hooklength whilst the other got weeded. Whereas when I switched to the fixed spool, I played them more confidently - probably looking to bring more pressure on to the fish whilst putting 100% faith in the clutch to give line when needed (which it did!). Pity really that I didn't start with a couple of chub to get in to things... never mind, I will give it a go again but when I do, I will load a bit more line on to the reel. I do really want to achieve this...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I tried my best to catch a barbel last weekend on the wye using a pin. I knew the stretch well, and knew that you could catch them on the near bank (so no massive cast required). Long story short, I lost two and then reverted to a fixed spool, going on to catch five and not lose any more. I think I was overthinking it whilst playing the fish on the pin (which probably only had fifty yards of line on it) and tried too hard to stop the fish running. One broke a hooklength whilst the other got weeded. Whereas when I switched to the fixed spool, I played them more confidently - probably looking to bring more pressure on to the fish whilst putting 100% faith in the clutch to give line when needed (which it did!). Pity really that I didn't start with a couple of chub to get in to things... never mind, I will give it a go again but when I do, I will load a bit more line on to the reel. I do really want to achieve this...

For me personally I find playing a barbel or any fish on a centrepin reel gives me much more control. The only exception to that is the one I mentioned in my last post on here regarding fishing still waters and tench kiting into the bankside vegetation but thinking about it i've always managed ok :).
Maybe you need a little more practice using one ;).

iain t

Reaction score
I've used my pin's for feeder and ledging but mostly for trotting and free lining. When the closed sesson comes in i still use it for stick work on stillwaters. My clubs ponds ain't that big so distance casting is not needed. As long as i can cast 1 to 2-rod lengths am in. My clubs stillwaters are kept as natural as possible with the odd cut back throughout the year. Most of the Carp are single to low double figure size. These are left to grow as they would in a river or stream. So no worrying about hooking a monster. Roach, Rudd and silvers is more my target.

As for clutches on fixed spool reels, i prefer to back wind rather than use a clutch. Even though i know they have smooth clutches. Maybe being a bit old fashioned but not that far to use Cane Rods. Like my Carbon too much.

Molehill

Reaction score
I've always had pins and used them whenever practical in still or running water, out of preference. I used to fish for carp with them back in the 60/70s and was looked upon as a little odd at the time (nothing's changed).

This year I have actually used them less than ever, probably because I'm doing more float fishing on the Severn (both light and heavy work) which usually involves restricted swims and significant casting, I also may move swims a lot through a day. Plus I have purchased better quality fixed spool reels, a joy to use.

So the pins come with me and I intend to use them, but somehow they are now used less, unless I am stick float type trotting direct downstream. Even the Richard Carter doesn't get much use, I bought it new from Richard and now when I see the ridiculous £££s they fetch, I near wet myself every time I put it on the rod.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've always had pins and used them whenever practical in still or running water, out of preference. I used to fish for carp with them back in the 60/70s and was looked upon as a little odd at the time (nothing's changed).

This year I have actually used them less than ever, probably because I'm doing more float fishing on the Severn (both light and heavy work) which usually involves restricted swims and significant casting, I also may move swims a lot through a day. Plus I have purchased better quality fixed spool reels, a joy to use.

So the pins come with me and I intend to use them, but somehow they are now used less, unless I am stick float type trotting direct downstream. Even the Richard Carter doesn't get much use, I bought it new from Richard and now when I see the ridiculous £££s they fetch, I near wet myself every time I put it on the rod.

I'm a big fan of RC's reels myself. I only have one of his reels, the 4inch aerial gem but I get a lot of pleasure from using it.
What model have you got molehill?

Molehill

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of RC's reels myself. I only have one of his reels, the 4inch aerial gem but I get a lot of pleasure from using it.
What model have you got molehill?

The 41/2 inch Merlin with antique finish, it cost me £150 new, all I could afford then, but seems a bit of a bargain now! Only complaint I have is the grub screw on the back plate that holds the spool on works loose, I fear I shall lose it one day, I should do something about it.