Another pin purchase

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The 41/2 inch Merlin with antique finish, it cost me £150 new, all I could afford then, but seems a bit of a bargain now! Only complaint I have is the grub screw on the back plate that holds the spool on works loose, I fear I shall lose it one day, I should do something about it.

Lovely reel, if you ever part with it give me first shout?
Something you could try to stop the screw coming los is to find a thin rubber washer and put it on under the screw. The tension between the rubber and screw may stop it from loosening. I would always loosen it after use.

iain t

Reaction score
It's nice to know at people still like to use a pin in this day and age.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's nice to know at people still like to use a pin in this day and age.

Since 99% of my fishing is trotting and I use a pin for trotting then you could call me a pin head lol.

dalesman

Reaction score
Agggh Pins. I was more than happy with my modern pins till a well known gentleman introduced to the Atom. Which I am a owner, just glad the wife stays out of the spare room.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agggh Pins. I was more than happy with my modern pins till a well known gentleman introduced to the Atom. Which I am a owner, just glad the wife stays out of the spare room.

Whoever introduced you to the Atom and made you spend money like that is a s'vines hunt....;).
Only jokin of course, and I think the atom may be the only production pin and bush reel made today, appart from made to order reels.

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Well, I bought one, (the Chinese job at the beginning of the thread) just in time to receive it as a birthday present later in the week. At first sight, it's mind-bogglingly good value (£36-and-a-bit, now) and as sweet a bit of kit as any I own. I'll try and do a comparative study once it's really, officially mine.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I cannot remember the last time I used a fixed spool reel. I float fish smallish still waters in the main and close in, but I can also cast to where I want to be pretty easily with 2/3 rod lengths out about the maximum. I keep think of buying a new c'pin just to see if they are all they are cracked up to be, and then I look at the early 60's models I have which have served me well for so many years, and end up keeping my money.

Mind you, the £36 quid Chinese jobbie sounds mentioned about sounds as if it could be a good punt. I'll hold fire until Mr. Tyler comes back with his opinion....

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Well, I finally got out fishing, forgetting only my boots, big socks, mitts, guernsey and most of the bait I'd normally take.
The reel is as nice as I'd hoped, just about feeding line to a 2BB float in a "current" more like a drift, but its two predicted faults made their presence felt; the biased check made moving swims difficult with the reel set up for right-hand wind, and the not-terribly tight clearance between drum and back-plate let slack line into the works. An un-spotted feature then emerged - the check spring around which line tries to get, having gained the sanctuary of this guarded space, is SHARP, so don't 'ee go a-pulling and a-hauling when it happens, unpick it all carefully!
Also, the big spool has a flywheel effect, so anything resembling a Wallis cast needs timely and strict braking.
If, like me, you are so long between trips that you have to re-learn the motor skills each time, this will accelerate the process; nothing convinces you that slack line is the enemy that never sleeps so quickly as a 'pin whose diet of choice is nylon, apart from a cheap closed-face in a direct headwind. (Feel my pain - and it was over thirty years ago!)

So; a bargain, and once your head knows what to do and you fingers have learnt/remembered how to do it, a lovely bit of kit. Not one for the can't-be-@rsed, though.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Whooops! FOUND THE SNAG!!! The check spring is a bit treacherous, sometimes snagging on the edge of a rebate it's supposed to go into and not engaging. I might try to fettle this, or I might remove the whole mech. and go old school, with a loop of knicker elastic, hair-band or similar, looped around the rod-butt, ready to hold the reel handle.
At that price, there had to be a snag, didn't there? Just grateful it's a small one.

Philip

Reaction score
Using a Centerpin was a real eye opener for me and opened up a whole new avenue for my fishing. I have been using one for a few seasons now and absolutely love it and I would certainly recommend any die hard FS users out there who have never used a Pin before to give one a try.

However for some reason just this year I have started to enjoy it a bit less. Its difficult to put my finger on exactly why.

At least for me when I fish with a Pin I accept there will be some drawbacks..most notably in my case I cant cast as far as I can with a FS reel and second that I am going to have more tangles with the Pin. I accept both of those at least to some degree are down to my own inability although I also suspect I am not the only pin user to suffer from these twin limitations either.

Up to now I have just accepted this and got on with it and the enjoyment of using it has outweighed the disadvantages. However there have been a few occasions this year when its really started to grate. I have been out and I just wished I had a FS with me. Either the fish have been out of my casting range or I have just wanted to get the bait into the water rapidly but had to deal with another tangle. Its almost as if I missed the foolproofness of a FS and the Pin has just annoyed me.

I wonder if the novelty of the pin is start to wear off a little. I am sure I will keep on using them, especially for trotting, but I can see me reaching for the FS more often again soon.