Another pin purchase

iain t

Reaction score
I have a thing about center pins. Not the old valuable pins such as Ariel's etc but cheap newer ones. My favourite one is a TFG Free Flow which i bought new. It's very smooth and doesn't take much to get it spinning. Alone with a couple of Marco Cortesi pin which i consider good value for the money.

I ordered another cheap pin from China a few months back. To my surprise, it arrived one week later. So guessing they have a warehouse in the UK. I've used it a few times now after a total strip and lube job it spins well with no spool wobble or run out. To my surprise, the bearing are stamped ABC 7, the same that i fitted to the Free Flow. The reel is made from billet ally. It is meant to be a loose copy of an Ariel as you will see in the pictures. I would guess it is made in the same factory that produced that the Matt Hayes and Mad fish look-alikes. I may have the spool anodised black because i think it would look better. Weighing a gram or so more than the Free Flow. The drag has a progressive adjustment which is new to me as I've never had a pin with a drag. Probably never use it. Overall it's a good reel for the money and with the clean and service, it is very smooth reel that takes very little to get it rolling.
I paid £28.00 inc p&p for it but now see that you can buy it for £34.00 on eBay.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

iain t

Reaction score
Hay that's the Chinese for you. Wondered what that little screw was for

peterjg

Reaction score
It looks good. Is the line guard removable?

john step

Reaction score
Please explain what is the end float screw.

Ian could you disclose the cost and web reference please.

I have pins with an adjustable tension drag. Ideal for stillwater fishing.
I have one of those Marco Cortesi pins. A Dragon product. Very robust with a strong loud ratchet. I use it for close in carping with 15lb bs on it. The ratchet is the bite alarm!!

iain t

Reaction score
In the end part i did say how much it cost me. £28.00. Mine was the last one available from a selerl i use quite a lot on Alibaba. I have found a seller on ebay selling for £34.00. It may be the same seller going by their name. 183382524162.
No where i bought it from but the same reel Mike.
Yes the line guard does come off with 2 little grub screws

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
In the end part i did say how much it cost me. £28.00. Mine was the last one available from a selerl i use quite a lot on Alibaba. I have found a seller on ebay selling for £34.00. It may be the same seller going by their name. 183382524162.
No where i bought it from but the same reel Mike.
Yes the line guard does come off with 2 little grub screws

Got it Ian. Missed the bottom line

sam vimes

Reaction score
A "bearings" reel with a compensating drag and an end float screw? Witchcraft! How? Why? Do they work?

The vast majority of current JW Young reels are bearing reels with compensating drags and end float screws. Only the Atom is a true pin.

john step

Reaction score
2nd request to those that know. What is an end float screw and what does it do?

thecrow

Reaction score
I am no expert but I believe it controls the amount of friction between the actual pin and the pin seat, tightening it puts more pressure on it increasing the inertia required for the reel to begin turning............ I think:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I am no expert but I believe it controls the amount of friction between the actual pin and the pin seat, tightening it puts more pressure on it increasing the inertia required for the reel to begin turning............ I think:)

I suspect that you might be confusing the float screw and the compensating drag. Whilst (mis)adjusting the float screw could certainly alter friction either way, it's not there to give user control, that's what the compensating drag is for.

thecrow

Reaction score
I suspect that you might be confusing the float screw and the compensating drag. Whilst (mis)adjusting the float screw could certainly alter friction either way, it's not there to give user control, that's what the compensating drag is for.

Lost me now Chris, I only know about the end float screw increasing the "stiffness" of the reel, compensating drag :confused: not a clue.

iain t

Reaction score
I've adjusted the float screw so to take out any to or throw motion. It's a bit like putting a shim in to take up any lateral movement between the pin and the spool but with a screw it is easier

sam vimes

Reaction score
Lost me now Chris, I only know about the end float screw increasing the "stiffness" of the reel, compensating drag :confused: not a clue.

The end float screw can certainly alter the "stiffness" of a reel, but that's not what it's there to do. Once set (correctly) it should be left alone by a user. Poor, or unnecessary, adjustment of the float can result in premature wear to the (pin) reel.

The compensating drag (or micro drag) is the small thumbwheel on one of the spokes or Aerial type reels (and similar little wheels on a few non-spoked reels). It is there to allow the user to minutely alter the drag of the reel depending on their preferences, the application and the prevailing conditions.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The end float screw is the very small screw in the centre of the drum as you look at it.
The screw is to adjust the amount of play in the drum and backplate. As chris said it can be tightened up to remove unwanted play if any wear appears.
I can't really see any reason for one on a bearing reel to be honest other than for cosmetics/appearances as bearing reels run on bearings!

thecrow

Reaction score
The end float screw can certainly alter the "stiffness" of a reel, but that's not what it's there to do. Once set (correctly) it should be left alone by a user. Poor, or unnecessary, adjustment of the float can result in premature wear to the (pin) reel.

My Berwick is still the same as the day I got it as there is no movement.

Philip

Reaction score
I have one of those Marco Cortesi pins. A Dragon product. Very robust with a strong loud ratchet. I use it for close in carping with 15lb bs on it. The ratchet is the bite alarm!!

Me too. Very nice reel for £30. I know the purists wont like it as it runs on bearings but for anyone wanting to give a pin a go and does not want to spend a fortune then they could do allot worse if you can still find them.

Philip

Reaction score
Regarding end float screws, the impression I had was that in very basic terms these are basically there so if your reel starts to wobble & grate in one place you can adjust the screw to tighten things and alter the spot the spool is rubbing on the back plate.

..is that about right or am I getting it mixed up ?